Laughing Stock of Rugby

eltel

Sorry I am a cas fan and much as i love to see you struggle your not as bad as Wakie but defo same thing happened to you like did us the fake sheikh. to you for a lot money and a lot false promises now your club having rebuild like we did but I am sure next year you will be stronger battling for top 4.

• 4 weeks later...

Summed up perfectly the title of this thread

Thought London result last week had won them

"the tools de grande" award for unacceptable performance's

But Featherstone rovers have certainly smashed that this week to snatch the trophy ;)

Presumably when our Dewsbury friend made this award after our defeat to Whitehaven, he wasn't anticipating his own team shipping 42 points at home to them...

Presumably when our Dewsbury friend made this award after our defeat to Whitehaven, he wasn't anticipating his own team shipping 42 points at home to them...

Yep, you're right. No top teams in this eight.

Hope to see you at Widnes.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Everyone needs to get a grip! Top4 was lost due to poor goalkicking in the home defeat to Dewsbury, a game in which Fev scored more tries than the opposition.

Goalkicking again played a major part against Sheffield, with an interception conceded at the depth because they were chasing the game due to missed conversions.  Does anyone actually believe they would have still lost to Whitehaven if top4 was still on? The defeat against Halifax was also more to do with suspensions and stomach bugs than anything else.

If top 4 had been achieved AH would still be coach though, and whether that would have been a good or a bad thing remains to be seen? JS will be handicapped without the extra prize money, but the manner of Sunday's win at Workington suggests he is bringing some fight into the team when things are getting tough, something that has been sadly lacking for most of the season.

Top 4 wasn't lost in any particular game. As well as the games Steve mentions

Everyone needs to get a grip! Top4 was lost due to poor goalkicking in the home defeat to Dewsbury, a game in which Fev scored more tries than the opposition.

Goalkicking again played a major part against Sheffield, with an interception conceded at the depth because they were chasing the game due to missed conversions.  Does anyone actually believe they would have still lost to Whitehaven if top4 was still on? The defeat against Halifax was also more to do with suspensions and stomach bugs than anything else.

If top 4 had been achieved AH would still be coach though, and whether that would have been a good or a bad thing remains to be seen? JS will be handicapped without the extra prize money, but the manner of Sunday's win at Workington suggests he is bringing some fight into the team when things are getting tough, something that has been sadly lacking for most of the season.

I'd add the 2 defeats (particularly their manner) over the Easter weekend into the reasons for not finishing top 4.

I would change the word good for consistent. On their day the squad was easily good enough, shown by some impressive away wins, but consistently let itself down on other occasions. Plenty of talent but poor on effort and determination.

Plenty of talent but poor on effort and determination.

Spot on........we had enough quality this year but were poorly coached and unable to perform at the level you could reasonably expect that squad to play at, on a consistent basis...........I agree our poor goal kicking was very relevant especially in the Sheffield and Dewsbury losses.

Coaching organisation and work ethic is key........not just the quality of players in the squad and the money you spend.........Compare Cas with Salford.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

I would change the word good for consistent. On their day the squad was easily good enough, shown by some impressive away wins, but consistently let itself down on other occasions. Plenty of talent but poor on effort and determination.

Agreed. I do believe we should have been good enough to easily be top 4 this year and that on our best day we were much better than Fax & Sheff were (on their best day) but we just weren't consistent enough - both from one game to the next and for the full 80 minutes of games. I know some wouldn't agree with that. 

Most fans predicted that it would be close for 4th, 5th and 6th this year and that we'd be in that mix.  The final table proved that we did go close (and were favourites for 3rd / 4th until that Dewsbury game) so why has there been such widespread criticism of the squad, coach, chairman etc, as if the whole season was a disaster from start to finish ? 

Firstly I think in truth we all thought we would get 4th at the start of the season but just didn't dare admit it.  

But I also think that some of the criticism comes from the way in which we rolled over in a number of home games when things started going against us (Bradford, Leigh, Sheffield).  I think Rovers fans are generally less forgiving than others and are proud of PO Rd as being a tough place to come and play, and those 3 games took some forgiving by anyone's standards.     

Spot on........we had enough quality this year but were poorly coached and unable to perform at the level you could reasonably expect that squad to play at, on a consistent basis...........I agree our poor goal kicking was very relevant especially in the Sheffield and Dewsbury losses.

Coaching organisation and work ethic is key........not just the quality of players in the squad and the money you spend.........Compare Cas with Salford.

Plain and simple not worth debating any fool could see that on paper Fev were certainly destined for a top four spot at the start of the season but we have been the most disappointing team in the RFL hence my original posting Laughing Stock of Rugby.

It appears bad coaching and serious problems amongst the upper echelon has resulted in some absolutely abysmal performances this year and the only player to constantly give 100% every game has been Will Sharp not that I have been to a match since Sheff beat us again at Donny. I believe my money is better in my pocket than paying to watch this bunch of overpaid indisciplined third rate performers which we have had to endure. Their effort on many occasions has been embarrassing to watch and It is without doubt that most defeats have been down to a total lack of effort given by numerous players albeit coaching and the hierarchy may have contributed significantly.

I believe Maitua was a brilliant signing albeit he is rightfully off to pastures new whereas Verlinden needs a lot of work but the jury's out on him.

Lets get rid of the driftwood and build from the bottom up.

Next season can we please get a selection of dummy's at the ready for players and management.

Archived