England hookers - four into two spots?

Fantastic position to be in for England with Roby, McIllorum, Clark and Hodgson as possiblities for England this autumn. Obviously, we will only have 2 in the squad but which two?

Roby is in unbelievable form at the moment and must be ahead. So is the decision to pick someone who compliments him in the 17 or simply to be the best second hooker? McIllorum has always been a McNamara favourite but Hodgson and Clark are the incumbents from the 4Nations. Hookers are now one of the most important players on the field so if all fit and playing well it is a really tough choice.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its 3 into 2....roby,hodgson and clarke are head and shoulders above micky mac...

Ive posed a question on LU about our hooker situation...

Josh is providing canberra with unbelevable intensity,drive and go forward..which,imo,opens up the game for clarke or roby to hit the holes around a tired ruck later in the halves...

Englands hooking senario at the moment is fantastic...nz & oz can't offer want we can at the minute

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Its 3 into 2....roby,hodgson and clarke are head and shoulders above micky mac...

Ive posed a question on LU about our hooker situation...

Josh is providing canberra with unbelevable intensity,drive and go forward..which,imo,opens up the game for clarke or roby to hit the holes around a tired ruck later in the halves...

Englands hooking senario at the moment is fantastic...nz & oz can't offer want we can at the minute

Disagree, Steve Mac loves Mick Mac so it is definitely 4 into 2 in his eyes (if not others).

Did we have 3 in the squad last year? I'd probably go with Roby and Hodgson right now but still a long way to go until the series start.

Fair point. I started the what the hell happened to Daryl Clark thread as I was really frustrated with his play in 2015. Apparently, lots of Wire fans are saying he is starting to come good now which would be great. At the end of last year he was unstoppable.

On this seasons form and a class act roby is guaranteed barring injury of course. Then I would go with hodgson myself as Clark and Micky Mac have struggled this season but both are capable on their day. So do you go with form in hodgson or do you take a punt on Clark or Micky Mac finding their form again? I think it's a hard choice for the 2nd hooker spot but roby is nailed on for me.

Not seem Hidgson play this year but he didn't stand out when he was in SL.

Looking at it. Higher way I would not lose any sleep if I any of the following were wearing 9 - Roby. McIllorum Hodgson (on others recommendations) Clark Houghton Lunt - we are spoilt. McIllorrum is also Wane's favourite and many Wigan fans (some good judges as well) consider him the best hooker we have had in modern times.

Disagree, Steve Mac loves Mick Mac so it is definitely 4 into 2 in his eyes (if not others).

I disagree....when he picked micky mac he had no other options....roby was injured he had to pick him....now he doesn't

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Looking at it. Higher way I would not lose any sleep if I any of the following were wearing 9 - Roby. McIllorum Hodgson (on others recommendations) Clark Houghton Lunt - we are spoilt. McIllorrum is also Wane's favourite and many Wigan fans (some good judges as well) consider him the best hooker we have had in modern times.

my only issue with MM is that he has a tendency to throw silly forward passes when a forward has overrun him. That is too basic an error for Test rugby, but like you i wouldnt lose too much sleep over any of them being selected.

Look....micky mac is a liability...always as been....we,england,don't need that...we have george & tom to rough people up legally.

Yours is a commonly held view but not universally held. He has out played his opposite number in every major final he has played in so to that extent hasn't been a liability at club level.

You need to see Hodgson in the NRL. Stands out very much at that level of intensity. Good enough last year to be headhunted into NRL so not such a shrinking violet but then Sky hardly show the lower teams . Houghton also gets overlooked on that basis.

But he is a penatly waiting to happen....we can't afford that at test level.....im on about micky mac btw

He's only given away 2 more penalties then Roby this season. He is far from a penalty machine.

As a Raiders fan, I watched Hodgson very closely in last year's Four Nations. I wasn't impressed at all and thought Clark blew him away. I understood that he hadn't played for about 6 weeks and took other people's word for it when they said he was overweight.

From Round 1 of the NRL, he has been seriously impressive. Blake Austin is getting all the attention from the wider NRL, many calling him the buy of the season. However, the majority of Raiders' fans recognise Hodgson as the buy of the season. He is the creative centre of our team and has also proved to be a real leader. It's easy to see why he was captain of KR.

I've noticed that astute commentators, Sterlo and Vossy, are both fans of him.

I can't see him being left out of the English team.

I'd expect (barring injuries) that McNamara will almost certainly pick Roby. He's been either the best or one of the best in SL for several years, and McNamara's usually a conservative selector.

Who else gets the nod could be influenced by his other job that sees him immersed in the NRL week in week out. I'm sure he's up to date on SL, but he's in the middle of the Aussie game.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I cannot understand why anyone would think MM good enough for international selection.  Hodgson is looking good in the NRL and Roby is the best hooker in the SL with a much more rounded game these days compared to his earlier scooting days.  I don't know about Clark as I haven't noticed him on the occasions I have seen Warrington play, unlike their young hooker whose name escapes me for the moment but who was pulled out of his loan spell at London when Higham left for Leigh.  If two hookers are to be chosen for the international squad then it would be Robes and Hodgson for me.

If you can get hold of copies of big matches that MM has been involved in, including opposite Cunningham then you might see why an argument can be made for him. My selections in order would be Roby daylight daylight any of the other 5 I mentioned above. 5 excellent players one world class one.

I always like the look of Danny Houghton . Yes he's probably behind Clark and Roby but I'm sure he wouldn't let anyone down and deserves at least a nod . I've been mildly surprised by Hodgson . Never really rated him to much but he's been mighty impressive in an inconsistent side . I wouldn't have mcilorum as I don't like his ill discipline . Shame Lunty has fell back . I feel he was ill treated by England

Put MM in a bottom positioned team and he would'nt get a mention

Average player playing for a top team

Pick players on form in all positions

I agree.  He's important to Wigan within their structures but I just don't see anything in his game that raises him to international level.  He can't even kick.

I agree. He's important to Wigan within their structures but I just don't see anything in his game that raises him to international level. He can't even kick.

But then you turn off games in which Wigan are playing well out of "boredom". :)

Archived