31 Jul: CCSF1 - Leeds Rhinos v St Helens KO 8pm

Who will win?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • St Helens

Not sure what McIllorum has done to be criticised by comparison with an underwhelming Saints half back. It's one thing to be outplayed by hookers in games he doesn't take part in, but this seems a bit of a stretch...

Just proves his versatility. :P 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a fairly standard routine with saints kicking early on the tackle count, particularly early in the game. One could almost say predictable.   It doesn't seem to change no matter how the defending team cope.   It cried out not to give possession too soon to Leeds when they where in the purple patch at start.   Yet they seemed to keep too early kick orders which didn't help Saints in catching breath when needing to go through an attacking tackle routine to keep a defensive structure whilst not expanding panic energy until Leeds blew themselves out and a more familiar game pattern returned..

The early kicking just played into Leeds at that stage.

I don't think Cunningham knows any other way.  He seems stubbornly set into one approach regardless of the opposition, the conditions, the playing staff, whatever.  I'm sure we will be doing exactly the same thing in the 40 degree heat (or whatever it is) against Catalan this weekend. 

Not sure what McIllorum has done to be criticised by comparison with an underwhelming Saints half back. It's one thing to be outplayed by hookers in games he doesn't take part in, but this seems a bit of a stretch...

I think he was referring to his tendency to be a bit of a liability when it comes to over aggression in the tackle

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

Anyone seen the Ryan Hall video on the BBC website? I thought at the time Hall ran behind one of his own players that led to the Peacock try. The video I think proves it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/33749104

Still wouldn't have affected the result but I did hear a few Saints players questioning the ref why it wasn't a penalty.

Anyone seen the Ryan Hall video on the BBC website? I thought at the time Hall ran behind one of his own players that led to the Peacock try. The video I think proves it.

Still wouldn't have affected the result but I did hear a few Saints players questioning the ref why it wasn't a penalty.

The question isn't 'did he run behind one of his own players?' but rather 'was a Saints player obstructed from making a tackle?'. Looking at the main footage it's hard to tell but the gap doesn't immediately look to have been one which would have been covered by the tacklers who Hall had already spun away from.

I think he was referring to his tendency to be a bit of a liability when it comes to over aggression in the tackle

I don't know about that - seems to me his sort of aggression can be a good thing against Leeds. If Sinny and McGuire have no cause to get upset they're probably winning the game - and that's with all due respect to those multiple winners...

I don't know about that - seems to me his sort of aggression can be a good thing against Leeds. If Sinny and McGuire have no cause to get upset they're probably winning the game - and that's with all due respect to those multiple winners...

hey I have no problem with how he plays the game im all for good aggressive play but his style of tackle does seem to be out of favour leading to him giving away a fair number of penalties

that's just the way the game is these days you cant do what you did 10 years ago and get away with it . really its up to the coaching staff to change his style a bit then he is as good as any other hooker in this country and better than most  but he does need to control the tackling style these days to get the best out of his undoubted talent

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

Most of the Saints supporters on the West terrace saw it.

Most of the Saints supporters on the West terrace saw it.

well we could go back to the hard line approach the other season but then all and sundry objected and interpretation was changed.  Can't have it both ways.

If we went with what the fans see the game would never start or at least constantly stop.

well we could go back to the hard line approach the other season but then all and sundry objected and interpretation was changed.  Can't have it both ways.

If we went with what the fans see the game would never start or at least constantly stop.

Or stop the use of dummy runners and allow players with skill and flair to break a teams defensive line instead of using an obstruction.

The question isn't 'did he run behind one of his own players?' but rather 'was a Saints player obstructed from making a tackle?'. Looking at the main footage it's hard to tell but the gap doesn't immediately look to have been one which would have been covered by the tacklers who Hall had already spun away from.

I thought it was a blatant crossing rather than a pass out back that the game had problems with last year. Hall went straight around the back and then through a hole directly next to the incident. So like I said, a blatant example of crossing. Has the rules changed about this as well? If so, I have missed that.

I thought it was a blatant crossing rather than a pass out back that the game had problems with last year. Hall went straight around the back and then through a hole directly next to the incident. So like I said, a blatant example of crossing. Has the rules changed about this as well? If so, I have missed that.

that video doesn't show the defensive line so its impossible to see if it was obstruction.

'crossing' has never been an offence, just an example of obstruction, which as an offence is largely at the whims of the officials with some justification found after the decision for whichever way it has gone.

Archived