Calais: what to do.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The issue is that the problem is in another sovereign territory so the British government's options are a bit limited to say the least. I see the usual suspects in our wonderful press were all calling for us to send in the troops this morning! I'm sure that would go down well with our French neighbours, an armed invasion. :rolleyes:

The government, for once, has my sympathy on this one. That said if we were a little less "them and us" in our relations with our European neighbours perhaps they would be a bit more cooperative, but then their French, so maybe not. :P

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Build another unmanned pedestrian tunnel signed "Old Blighty" that leads to a remote island with nothing there but an airport offering flights back to wherever they came from.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

There's no easy solution to this one and it needs to be tackled across several fronts.

Firstly we need to be getting tough with the namby pamby liberals in the EU and start taking direct military action in the countries where these 'refugees' originate from. I'm not talking invasion of any sort, but we should be patrolling their waters, capturing the smugglers boats, sending the people back to land and then sinking their boats. Isn't there something like just 3 military boats covering the while of the Med with 2 of them being British ?

To tackle the current Calais issue i'd have no objection to us paying for a proper detention & processing centre in Calais to help the French out. These people are running wild across French towns and they're not only endangering themselves but also everyone who travels on the trains. They can't be allowed to continue to roam freely and cause daily mayhem. Unfortunately the time has come to take direct forceful action. How long will it be before they do something really stupid like put something on the tracks to slow the train down so they can board it and cause a major accident.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

One fatal flaw in their argument. If we suddenly let 5000 in and they each then bring over say 4-5 family members, yes i'm sure our system could cope. Except next year 10,000 will be on the doorstep demanding to be let in and they'll each bring 4-5 family members if we let them in. The rest of the poor people around the world see how easy it is to come to the UK so we end up with possibly hundreds of thousands demanding entry... and so on and so on.

No-one will disagree that its a terrible plight of those currently in Calais but opening the doors wont make the problem go away, it will just make it worse.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Well, Theresa May won't let Boris deploy his new expensive water cannon in London

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/15/theresa-may-rejects-water-cannon-boris-johnson

The French farmers have been spraying our tourists with cowcack as a protest against falling food prices.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/594725/Calais-France-UK-Tourists-Faeces-Moselle-Eurotunnel-Channel-Tunnel-Cameron-Theresa-May

Sort out two dilemmas with a simple solution. We:

-  Ship the watercannon off to Calais.

- Pay the French farmers to divert their cowcack spray towards the benefits-seekers

- Exercise compassion in ensuring the benefits-seekers get cleaned up again

- Treat them to a refreshing shower from the watercannon

;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

The Guardian view.

Essentially, nothing new, blame Eurotunnel and the French striking port workers but there's no massive horde of immigrants trying to swarm southern Kent.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

We seem to letting the opportunity to torment France go.  The fact is, the French police are claiming they cannot cope with the multitude fleeing France in the hope of finding a decent place to live.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

These people have risked their lives to get where they've got to and are prepared to risk their lives further to get here (BTW I believe there are plenty of others in other EU countries)  IMO it's not the carrot of living in the UK that's driving them but the stick of what they've left behind.  If nothing else it proves that sending aound trucks with posters on the back saying "Johnnie foreigner go home" won't work.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

The fact is that the west has created much of the problems in Iraq, Afghanistan, Lybia has created this situation. But these people should not be in Europe and certainly should not be throwing money away on dangerous trips. These people should have been stopped well before Calais and sent to UN Safe Havens in the near of where they originate North Africa/Middle East/ Balkans. . Europe, and USA should be paying for the upkeep of these UN Safe Havens and the UN should be running things so that these people fleeing from War torn areas dont have to face long dangerous trips and not throw money away to gangsters to get on a boat.  Many of these people are not interested in just  fleeing a war torn land, as they clearly only want to go to where they can get money and as much benefits as possible. Europe can not house all of these people and it doesnt have the money or resources to house and look after these people- many of whom are criminals and are not asylum seekers.  Most of the Refugees in Calais and around Europe are young men with Mobile phones and have money- how did they otherwise afford to get to Europe and end up in Calais? Instead of picking the Boat people up and bringing them to Europe they should be shipped somewhere in Africa/Middle East where they can be looked after and are not too far away from home. Until that happens then Refugees will keep trying to come to Europe in my opinion. 

I've been across the channel several times this year, by ferry and by Eurotunnel. On the approach road to the Calais ferry terminal, on both sides of the road there is a tall and substantial   barbed wire-topped double fence with a metre or two no-man's-land between the two fences. At the Coquelles Eurotunnel terminal there is what amounts to a single fence made of wet string.  Fixing that would be a start but it still leaves the actual problem. Under no circumstances  are the Frencg going to allow British troops on their soil again and it would not work in any case. 

As far as I can see no one has come up with a realistic, practical and effective solution. What use is  the civil service recruiting Oxford PPEs if they can't fax something like this?

I've been across the channel several times this year, by ferry and by Eurotunnel. On the approach road to the Calais ferry terminal, on both sides of the road there is a tall and substantial   barbed wire-topped double fence with a metre or two no-man's-land between the two fences. At the Coquelles Eurotunnel terminal there is what amounts to a single fence made of wet string.  Fixing that would be a start but it still leaves the actual problem. Under no circumstances  are the Frencg going to allow British troops on their soil again and it would not work in any case. 

As far as I can see no one has come up with a realistic, practical and effective solution. What use is  the civil service recruiting Oxford PPEs if they can't fax something like this?

Cameron & Osborne are Oxbridge PPE's

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

The Guardian view.

Essentially, nothing new, blame Eurotunnel and the French striking port workers but there's no massive horde of immigrants trying to swarm southern Kent.

These people have risked their lives to get where they've got to and are prepared to risk their lives further to get here (BTW I believe there are plenty of others in other EU countries)  IMO it's not the carrot of living in the UK that's driving them but the stick of what they've left behind.  If nothing else it proves that sending aound trucks with posters on the back saying "Johnnie foreigner go home" won't work.

They may have risked their lives but they aren't all refugees.  According to reports a substantial number of them are economic migrants.  Why should they be allowed to cheat the system when there are honest economic migrants applying for visas?  There is also the unknown factor of whether among them are terrorists.  Let's face it, just because they say they are refugees and have come from danger at home does not actually mean they are telling the truth and given the recent trend of lone wolf terror actions it is perfectly possible that these gangs of illegals are hiding a terrorist or two among their number.

They are illegals, they do not have a right to demand entry into our country (just as we do not have a right to demand entry to theirs), regardless of their situation.  The French let them over their border to begin with so it should be the bone idle French who sort out this problem, not us. 

I think it would be fun to see the reaction of the French if we threatened to send our army in.  I reckon they'd get the problem sorted pretty quickly if we threatened to send in the troops.  (I'm not being serious here btw; I just think it would be amusing to watch the French go into a strop)

We could of course try working with our continental neighbours, and co-operating with them instead of continually sitting in the corner sulking like the petulant child that hasn't got its own way.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

We could of course try working with our continental neighbours, and co-operating with them instead of continually sitting in the corner sulking like the petulant child that hasn't got its own way.

Part of the reason the 'problem' in in France is that we do co-operate with France and made agreements that immigration checks for the UK take place in France (How many countries would allow that?).  If the French get fed up they could let everyone through and leave the problem for the UK to sort out at Dover.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Why are we such a better country for these people to want to come to than say France,Italy when they are already there?

Good marketing.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Can anybody remember where they put all the stuff that they excavated from when the tunnels were dug out?

I've just had a great idea where we can put it.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Archived