Calais: what to do.

Mmmmm is this the charitable Christian view of the problem?

Isn't there some sort of parable about a Good Samaritan that went out of the way to help a stranger in trouble?

Sounds like charity begins at home.

I would rather we help the Aged who dont have enough money to put the heating on in winter or the disabled people who cant afford treatment or the Social Services so that they can properly look after people in need before we throw money away on people who have chosen to ignore safe areas nearer to home. And how do you know if one of these refugees has links with Islamic State or not? How do you know if these people have raped and murdered women and Children and are now on the run? Theres numerous cases of Asylum Seekers who have murdered and committed Rape here in Europe but are not sent back because of stupid Human RIghts Laws. These people then cost you money for staying here. Many of these people in calais are young fit men who have Mobile phones and carry knives, Guns etc. They should not be in Europe and they should not be given any support from us.

I think its wrong to put your family in a situation where they face a good chance of drowning and being homeless when they could flee to somewhere like Saudia Arabia (It wants to be on the UN Human Rights Board), Egypt, Arab States that are nearer and safer to reach. You dont need to go to Europe to escape war in Afghanistan or Syria. Europe is on the verge of civil unrest due to these people- many of whom are not Asylum Seekers and also stand little chance of getting Asylum. Its not up to us to help these people. Its upto the Politicians and World Leaders to find a way to help these people as quickly as possible and to probvide safe areas near to where they originate to escape to. Its not up to us to pay for the upkeep of these people who have chosen to travel through many safe lands to reach Europe. 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would rather we help the Aged who dont have enough money to put the heating on in winter or the disabled people who cant afford treatment or the Social Services so that they can properly look after people in need before we throw money away on people who have chosen to ignore safe areas nearer to home. And how do you know if one of these refugees has links with Islamic State or not? How do you know if these people have raped and murdered women and Children and are now on the run? Theres numerous cases of Asylum Seekers who have murdered and committed Rape here in Europe but are not sent back because of stupid Human RIghts Laws. These people then cost you money for staying here. Many of these people in calais are young fit men who have Mobile phones and carry knives, Guns etc. They should not be in Europe and they should not be given any support from us.

I think its wrong to put your family in a situation where they face a good chance of drowning and being homeless when they could flee to somewhere like Saudia Arabia (It wants to be on the UN Human Rights Board), Egypt, Arab States that are nearer and safer to reach. You dont need to go to Europe to escape war in Afghanistan or Syria. Europe is on the verge of civil unrest due to these people- many of whom are not Asylum Seekers and also stand little chance of getting Asylum. Its not up to us to help these people. Its upto the Politicians and World Leaders to find a way to help these people as quickly as possible and to probvide safe areas near to where they originate to escape to. Its not up to us to pay for the upkeep of these people who have chosen to travel through many safe lands to reach Europe. 

That which you do to the least of my brothers ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2. Asylum seekers can't claim benefits, nor do illegal immigrants (how could they?). But don't let facts stand in the way of your prejudices.

I'm talking about established legal immigrants. I read somewhere that around 80% of Somalian adult immigrants don't work.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

2. Asylum seekers can't claim benefits, nor do illegal immigrants (how could they?). But don't let facts stand in the way of your prejudices.

They can of sorts, but they're at a much lower rate than for other people (much higher than France incidentally)

I would rather we help the Aged who dont have enough money to put the heating on in winter

If the winter fuel allowance was paid direct to the pensioners energy supplier instead of to the pensioners account they wouldnt struggle for heating,a few grandkids would get less expensive xmas presents though

My post #47 was I suppose off topic, I was merely highlighting the fact that God Botherers often seem to forget the teachings of the novel they want us to use as a guide for our lives. Saints lass' post it didn't seem to me to be to full of Christian love and good will.

Back on topic, I don't know what the answer is and it's pretty clear no else does either.

Can't let 'em in....can't send 'em home.....can't carry on as we are.

Neither right wing reactionism or left wing bleeding heart liberalism seem to fit the bill.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

If the winter fuel allowance was paid direct to the pensioners energy supplier instead of to the pensioners account they wouldnt struggle for heating,a few grandkids would get less expensive xmas presents though

It is true they might not spend it on their heating bills.  It might go an an extra warm duvet, a new heater, towards insulation or extra warm clothing.  That is the free market and trusting people to know how to spend the money. 

What you are suggesting is Government subsidising of private industries in the hope that they get so much money they decide to lower their bills.

That is a bit stupid of you.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

My post #47 was I suppose off topic, I was merely highlighting the fact that God Botherers often seem to forget the teachings of the novel they want us to use as a guide for our lives. Saints lass' post it didn't seem to me to be to full of Christian love and good will.

Back on topic, I don't know what the answer is and it's pretty clear no else does either.

Neither right wing reactionism or left wing bleeding heart liberalism seem to fit the bill.

Oddly enough, there I heard a Priest talk on how even though Rick Santorum does not seem to be Catholic as most Catholics understand the word, we should still try and accept him.

On the subject, the French equivalents of many on here must wonder why they are bothering to desperately try and keep the asylum seekers in France.  No doubt there are those in Calais that would be glad to see them make it over the Channel.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

It is true they might not spend it on their heating bills.  It might go an an extra warm duvet, a new heater, towards insulation or extra warm clothing.  That is the free market and trusting people to know how to spend the money. 

What you are suggesting is Government subsidising of private industries in the hope that they get so much money they decide to lower their bills.

That is a bit stupid of you.

No thats not what i'm advocating.

My late mother god rest her soul in later life got £400 extra each year towards her energy bills,if this was knocked off her bill directly instead of handing her/them cash in hand it would be spent on what it was designed for.

No pensioner who recieves this allowance and spend its on what is for should struggle for heating,jeez its nearly half what i pay for year on total energy and i have a 3 bed house

No thats not what i'm advocating.

It is what you are advocating, it is just not the consequences that you intend.

Take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Good marketing.

I think they are all trying to get over here for the RWC but don't realise that it is pretty much sold out

Talking of good marketing.  :lazy:

xD

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Why not simply allow the migrants in, one at a time, informing them there will be no interference from our Port Security, Police, Army, or any other body that might cost us tax payers' money.

Also. given that they'll have been travelling for some considerable time to get here, supply them with a new clean outfit to allow them to blend in to our countryside and help evade capture.

fox-mascot-costume.jpg

Once we've given them a day or so start, then the local hunts can be summoned and can enjoy their pastimes without impacting on our natural wildlife.

(We can now merge this thread with the other one, that'll be fun)

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

When you're a Tory PM and even the Daily Wail are giving you a kicking:

_84613534_dmfrontpage1-aug.jpg

That said, all the prospective Labour leadership candidates have been pretty quiet on the issue. A chance to display some leadership, telling us what they would do to tackle the situation missed?

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

That said, all the prospective Labour leadership candidates have been pretty quiet on the issue. A chance to display some leadership, telling us what they would do to tackle the situation missed?

I'd presume they haven't said anything as like the Tories, they have no idea how to deal with the situation. It really isn't a problem we can solve and certainly not along our shores/Calais.

Prime Minister - We have asked the MoD to assist.

The Papers - Dave to send in the army

The MoD - Erm, we have a field you can use to park trucks on?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

So are the delays being caused by migrants or by striking locals about to lose their jobs?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Prime Minister - We have asked the MoD to assist.

The Papers - Dave to send in the army

The MoD - Erm, we have a field you can use to park trucks on?

Are the papers really that thick? Or are they being deliberately provocative knowing full well Cameron can't just send the army into a foreign country uninvited?

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Are the papers really that thick? Or are they being deliberately provocative knowing full well Cameron can't just send the army into a foreign country uninvited?

They are not thick and I don't think they are being provocative. They know headlines like this sell papers...

So are the delays being caused by migrants or by striking locals about to lose their jobs?

Bit of both , the myferrylink boats are occupied my striking workers. They don't want to transfer to DFDS who have bought the company. I've heard they have put concrete in the engines.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

They are not thick and I don't think they are being provocative. They know headlines like this sell papers...

They also have the win/win of being able to blame politicians, the French, or both, if things carry on.

When you're a Tory PM and even the Daily Wail are giving you a kicking:

_84613534_dmfrontpage1-aug.jpg

That said, all the prospective Labour leadership candidates have been pretty quiet on the issue. A chance to display some leadership, telling us what they would do to tackle the situation missed?

Corbyn would just let everyone in, the others would probably do similar to what Cameron has, just use different language

Corbyn would just let everyone in, the others would probably do similar to what Cameron has, just use different language

In your opinion. The point I was making is that we just don't know what they would do. To me that's a problem for people who are trying to persuade us of their leadership qualities.

Archived