Sam Burgess to Wigan

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't the Souths got first call if he comes back? Can't see him coming back to Super League unless it's towards the latter end of his career. Think he'll go to the Union world cup, have a limited (if any) playing role and then sign for the Souths again.

Would like SBW and Eastmond back as well

If memory serves then I think we have some caveat over him playing UK RL. Not sure if that's still in place or not.

I'd prefer him to return to the NRL if I'm honest. Would really stick in the throat watching him line up with John Bateman - especially if it's against us. Oh for what might have been...

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

Just cos they pay tomkins £300k plus doesn't mean hes their marquee signing..they can elect any players wage to be off the books..

So they could,if they wanted,pay tomkins £300k and it going down in the books as £300k..and pay burgess £300k with it only going down on the cap as £100k...if that makes sense...and they are under the cap of course.

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Rumour in Wigan that if Sam Burgess does not make the union world cup squad he will quit and sign for Wigan, could it also be similar scenario with Eastmond to Wire.

Eastmond is off to Super League, so is not in the World Cup squad. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Yeah it does look like eastmond won't make the cut while Sam will. I can't really see a future for eastmond at England Union national side. Really hope he comes back to league, not bothered who he signs for as long as he's back playing RL.

Yeah it does look like eastmond won't make the cut while Sam will. I can't really see a future for eastmond at England Union national side. Really hope he comes back to league, not bothered who he signs for as long as he's back playing RL.

The info from my local RU club is that there was not even a wait to see.  The contract negotiation with the RL club started before England RU squad selection. 

Because, clearly, you should believe an anonymous man on the internet.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

If memory serves then I think we have some caveat over him playing UK RL. Not sure if that's still in place or not.

I'd prefer him to return to the NRL if I'm honest. Would really stick in the throat watching him line up with John Bateman - especially if it's against us. Oh for what might have been...

Some previous incarnation of our club has that. 

It will have, most likely, gone down the drain with a bunch of other intangible assets. 

People called Romans they go the house

Is Eastmond worth worrying about?

He was an up and comer that had not proven himself at the highest level by any means.

Will he come back better than when he left a long time ago? I doubt it.

Move on, he made his choices and he was not that good anyway IMO.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Is Eastmond worth worrying about?

He was an up and comer that had not proven himself at the highest level by any means.

Will he come back better than when he left a long time ago? I doubt it.

Move on, he made his choices and he was not that good anyway IMO.

At St Helens, he was a very highly-rated young star, but injuries kept derailing his progress. I don't know what he'd be like if he came back now, but saying he was "not that good" is wrong IMO.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

At St Helens, he was a very highly-rated young star, but injuries kept derailing his progress. I don't know what he'd be like if he came back now, but saying he was "not that good" is wrong IMO.

He was far from an established Halfback at Test level.

He chose to take the Union offer and from memory was a a bit of an ###### to our game by hardly playing or having a go once he was signed by Union.

I could take him or leave him, leave him if I was honest.

He is slightly built and I doubt he will make his mark at the top, if he couldn't do it in Union I doubt he will in our game.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

He was far from an established Halfback at Test level.

He chose to take the Union offer and from memory was a a bit of an ###### to our game by hardly playing or having a go once he was signed by Union.

I could take him or leave him, leave him if I was honest.

He is slightly built and I doubt he will make his mark at the top, if he couldn't do it in Union I doubt he will in our game.

If his attitude was right Eastmond would be an absolute star in RL - no doubt about it. He was a special talent who got his head turned and had some niggling injuries. RU, if anything, will have matured him a little.

Eastmond signed for Warrington 2 months ago, hence my post of around the same time!

Signing Kyle Eastmond might help them bridge the gap a little

Does anyone think this "burgess to wigan" thing might be just for a month?

Left out the union squad on the 31st august...

Signs for wigan till the end of the season on the 1st september..

Resigns for souths for next season..

Seems more likey that than him signing for wigan full time..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Does anyone think this "burgess to wigan" thing might be just for a month?

Left out the union squad on the 31st august...

Signs for wigan till the end of the season on the 1st september..

Resigns for souths for next season..

Seems more likey that than him signing for wigan full time..

Isn't there a cut of point when squads have to be registered.

You'd think Eastmond would have matured in the time he's been away from the game, and you'd also imagine his natural skills which were all about his pace and physical ability, would still be there. He'd no doubt take a while to get back up to speed, but he'd soon be back to where he was previously.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Archived