Biggest game of the season?

fredm

It seems people are pre-occupied with the forthcoming match against the Rams but surely the biggest game of the season is this Sundays at Derwent Park?  A victory would put us in pole position to claim the play off spot, with a shared gate, plus the £25k extra prize money for the final league position.  Defeat would leave us 3 points behind Workington and make the remaining matches virtual nonentities as well as being on the back foot again in relation to finances.  On the previous occasion when a Cumbrian match was so important, the team travelled up the day before so as to be in prime condition for the match.  Is this happening this weekend?  Surely the extra prize money alone would make it worthwhile.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems people are pre-occupied with the forthcoming match against the Rams but surely the biggest game of the season is this Sundays at Derwent Park? A victory would put us in pole position to claim the play off spot, with a shared gate, plus the £25k extra prize money for the final league position. Defeat would leave us 3 points behind Workington and make the remaining matches virtual nonentities as well as being on the back foot again in relation to finances. On the previous occasion when a Cumbrian match was so important, the team travelled up the day before so as to be in prime condition for the match. Is this happening this weekend? Surely the extra prize money alone would make it worthwhile.

Agree - 7 massive games to come.

Beating 2 poor sides and a Dewsbury side who had played 2 games in the week before we beat them and people seem to believe its all rosy in the garden again and have forgotten the dross that has been served up all year.

Similar with the re-signings, it would appear most of this years squad will stay on, yet its a team that has terribly underperformed for the best part of 2 seasons, yet people seem delighted, which leaves me very confused with the mentality of some of our supporters.

I agree some deserve it on merit, but with a similar swuad and same coach in place, its more of the same frustrating dire stuff next year.

We are still a poor side and we are still well in the relegation mx, defeat on Sunday wont do us any favours - will be interesting to see if missing out on Sammut comes back to haunt us.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

Yet it's ok to forget until recently we have had injuries to key positions all season. We are a much better team when key players are match fit.

Isn't every team better when key players are fit, being a better team doesn't mean good enough

Totally agree with Fred on this one Sunday,s match defines the rest of our season a win and we are in pole for the semis. A loss and our season is virtually over and the Dewsbury game matters little. I pray we perform better than the last big game in Cumbria. The performance at Whitehaven was the pits. We have to shut down Sammut hit early and hard. The guy has completely transformed Workington. Am looking forward to a good weekend up there and hopefully a win to brighten up what has been a very disappointing campaign so far.

Beating 2 poor sides and a Dewsbury side who had played 2 games in the week before we beat them and people seem to believe its all rosy in the garden again and have forgotten the dross that has been served up all year.

Similar with the re-signings, it would appear most of this years squad will stay on, yet its a team that has terribly underperformed for the best part of 2 seasons, yet people seem delighted, which leaves me very confused with the mentality of some of our supporters.

I agree some deserve it on merit, but with a similar swuad and same coach in place, its more of the same frustrating dire stuff next year.

We are still a poor side and we are still well in the relegation mx, defeat on Sunday wont do us any favours - will be interesting to see if missing out on Sammut comes back to haunt us.

totally agree, major changes need to happen & it does need to start with the coaching, i young headed coach with a bit of flair in the game wouldn't go a miss. Imo of course

Yet it's ok to forget until recently we have had injuries to key positions all season. We are a much better team when key players are match fit.

Don't forget there's a few clubs in there that have had injuries,some of them players on there way back now,plus 1 or 2 clubs have strengthened as well,Workington for instance with Sammut. I think the game will be won on who's got the best halfbacks on the day,& if I'm honest I think it will be Workington with Sammut pulling the strings.

I hear where you are coming from on most of this

As for resignings which ones wouldn't you have wanted for next season ? I've been happy with ones that have been announced,obviosly JC would make it better. If you mean the ones that have still got 1 season left on their contracts i don't class them as resignings and club get called short sighted when they only sign players up on 1 yr deals . I agree some that were signed on 2 yr deals last season i wouldn't want to keep .

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

How many Wiganers have Wonky been able to keep on for the play offs? Could make a big difference as we seem to have the upper hand against this team as Haven have against us. I think we'll sneak it

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Am with Redditch; why would we be cheering re-signings who haven't really cut it? Yes, the ones who have signed already are great news but we have some 2 year ones who haven't set the world alight and some we can't afford to carry. We need new, able blood from the top downwards and if we end up not offering contracts to some then that's

how it must be. One point; we have a problem at 1 and 5. If JC leaves and we can't keep Brown we will need new men in those positions anyway unless Morgan is to be retained and used as I felt he did well enough when thrown in. Fev fans reckon Hardman is on his way, any inside info!!

Am with Redditch; why would we be cheering re-signings who haven't really cut it? Yes, the ones who have signed already are great news but we have some 2 year ones who haven't set the world alight and some we can't afford to carry. We need new, able blood from the top downwards and if we end up not offering contracts to some then that's

how it must be. One point; we have a problem at 1 and 5. If JC leaves and we can't keep Brown we will need new men in those positions anyway unless Morgan is to be retained and used as I felt he did well enough when thrown in. Fev fans reckon Hardman is on his way, any inside info!!

I actually think that most of regular XVII have 'cut it' this season, bar one or two notable exceptions - it's just that we haven't had the class and direction at half-back to win games. Hopefully that will be rectified during the close season.
r02c.gif

This season has been a disaster but the squad is a cok hair away from being a decent side, the players who have resigned have all been chased by other clubs. Dewsbury have finished 11 points clear of us and I can honestly say I feel there are only 3 players there that would improve our squad, Grady,Thackery,Seymore. Had we had those three in our squad then I would expect us to have made the top 5. With our budget you are taking a risk every season that the squad you assemble will cut it. At the start of the season with 2 superleague trained halfbacks who had Championship experience, and Leak and Nicholson as backup I wasn't overly worried. Things just haven't clicked, but if we unearth a gem for next season (probably have to be from Aus or France looking at the halfbacks in the Engish game today). Then the squad we have assembled already could do very well.

This season has been a disaster but the squad is a cok hair away from being a decent side, the players who have resigned have all been chased by other clubs. Dewsbury have finished 11 points clear of us and I can honestly say I feel there are only 3 players there that would improve our squad, Grady,Thackery,Seymore. Had we had those three in our squad then I would expect us to have made the top 5. With our budget you are taking a risk every season that the squad you assemble will cut it. At the start of the season with 2 superleague trained halfbacks who had Championship experience, and Leak and Nicholson as backup I wasn't overly worried. Things just haven't clicked, but if we unearth a gem for next season (probably have to be from Aus or France looking at the halfbacks in the Engish game today). Then the squad we have assembled already could do very well.

You don't sign players from Australia - KN said so; so France it is then. I reckon they'll be queuing up.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I hear where you are coming from on most of this

As for resignings which ones wouldn't you have wanted for next season ? I've been happy with ones that have been announced,obviosly JC would make it better. If you mean the ones that have still got 1 season left on their contracts i don't class them as resignings and club get called short sighted when they only sign players up on 1 yr deals . I agree some that were signed on 2 yr deals last season i wouldn't want to keep .

I think with our fan base, we cant expect much more re-signing wise, my point is though that as we have underachieved so badly, I dont understand the sense of joy people have with re-signing the current crop of players.

Maybe im a bit pessimistic and a few new faces will make a difference to the squad next season.

It all depends if we can stay up though first and foremost - Sunday will go a long way to helping if we can grind out a win up in Cumbria.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

Can't understand why there's still relegation talk coming from the dogs fans still

Listen you will not get relegated that is a fact..because Doncaster & hunslet will

They are rubbish the pair of them

Hunslet if there lucky will get 1 win in the playoffs, Doncaster have gone and are only capable of beating hunslet

Batley should without sweat beat hunslet & Doncaster

Watched your lot train last night and was so tempted to film the stick routine and set it to the "old bamboo song" from chitty chitty bang bang...but kear was stomping around like rommell so I thought against it lol

Your safe....safer than wearing 3 condoms

Safer...than backing each way in a one horse race..safer than been crushed by GFDU when he sprints to the bar to buy the pub a round

You WILL NOT GO down

So no more silly talk please as it does raise my hopes up...falsely ;)

Glasses. Bald wearing an old rams tracky top?

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Glasses. Bald wearing an old rams tracky top?

:lol: you got him 9'oller

As I left the field of battle on Wednesday (touch rugby to you) I heard the distant cry of my name behind me. With the first team training at the bottom of the pitch I thought at last Kear's noticed the blistering pace and skill seen on the wing and is set to offer me a two year contract and Rettie's place on Sunday! Alas it was only Coolie wanting my autograph and a pair of my old pants :(

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

:lol: you got him 9'oller

As I left the field of battle on Wednesday (touch rugby to you) I heard the distant cry of my name behind me. With the first team training at the bottom of the pitch I thought at last Kear's noticed the blistering pace and skill seen on the wing and is set to offer me a two year contract and Rettie's place on Sunday! Alas it was only Coolie wanting my autograph and a pair of my old pants :(

Yeah you must have really impressed him with your 2 elegant touch's... And I'm been generous with that too

Have to say I was drawn to watching the ball handling skills of the blonde girl to be focused on your efforts mate

She would certainly get picked before you mate

At first I thought it was Don estelle on the wing...;)

OK so it wasn't my best game but I blame 9'oller for breaking three ribs on my first run, that boys got a heavy touch!

I think with our fan base, we cant expect much more re-signing wise, my point is though that as we have underachieved so badly, I dont understand the sense of joy people have with re-signing the current crop of players.

Maybe im a bit pessimistic and a few new faces will make a difference to the squad next season.

It all depends if we can stay up though first and foremost - Sunday will go a long way to helping if we can grind out a win up in Cumbria.

most, if not all the resigned players are forwards and I don't remember too many teams beating us down the middle this season. If the back line was anywhere near as good as our pack we would be a top 4 team without question. Who of the resignings would u not have signed? I'm chuffed and can't quite believe Rowe and Brown have signed on again. I'm well suited with those two, I'd also add Day to the list I'm pleased with. Would be nice to sign Alex brown, ulugia maybe to replace Campbell, two more centres, a quality fb and a Brambani type of hb, an organiser with a decent kicking game as a leader to go with both current hbs so we have cover for injuries and we are looking okay for next season.

This topic has gone from the biggest game of the season, to want a new younger coach, to recruitment, to JC signing.

Bring it back. Workington are better with Sammut, which team wouldn't be? But Batley have this thing of finishing a season good, and don't think that'll be no different this time round.

Your 3/4 line is one of the best now in these eights, and I've said this a lot this season but Workington seem to only get up for games against Whitehaven.

And you end the season with Hunslet at home, who by then will most likely be down. I think you'll get into the play-offs by the hair on Kear's head.

Archived