8 Aug: Super 8s - Catalans Dragons v St Helens KO 6pm (TV)

Who will win?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Draw
    • St Helens

For those thinking that Pomeroy's hit on Josh Jones did not deserve a red, the disciplinary panel disagree and have charged him with a Grade B reckless striking with the shoulder: http://www.therfl.co.uk/news/article/32886/catalans-dragons-player-charged-with

Of course since he has no EGP available and is going to a tribunal that could all change, as appears to be the way lately!  But still, there were clearly more people than just Saints fans and the ref who thought the tackle was illegal.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those thinking that Pomeroy's hit on Josh Jones did not deserve a red, the disciplinary panel disagree and have charged him with a Grade B reckless striking with the shoulder: http://www.therfl.co.uk/news/article/32886/catalans-dragons-player-charged-with

Of course since he has no EGP available and is going to a tribunal that could all change, as appears to be the way lately! But still, there were clearly more people than just Saints fans and the ref who thought the tackle was illegal.

Very little doubt in my mind that he deserved a red, direct contact with the head with the shoulder. Even if it wasn't malicious it was reckless.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

About the red card, the problem is the "double standard" : when aaron murphy broke the willie tonga jaw, no problem for the english ref.

And Aaron Murphy has been cited too by the RFL panel with a Grade C. But after having viewed the DVD, they found him not guilty. So let's wait for the sentence.

So ok, there was a contact with the head, so it is a red card. But it has to be for all the contact shoulder on the head.  

Or perhaps, the jaw of the catalans is not the head ;-).

Apparently in the Ref's weekly Q&A sessions on twitter, after the referee's review meeting Thiery Alibert has now admitted he made a wrong call in disallowing Greg Richards try - thats definately one the officials owe us for next time ;)

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

I didn't know this session and this is really interesting.

I really didn't understand why the Richards try haven't been allowed and Th. Allibert said he made a worng call.

But for me, the Luke Walsh's Try wasn't correct :Armor went on running and stopped very near Escaré, for me, he was playing and was off side (i thought, if you are Off side, you need to stop ten meters from the receiver)?

But it is written is this Ref's weekly Q&A sessions on twitter :  

Luke Walsh’s try is correct by law but agree the law doesn’t seem quite right

What'is the real law ?

But for me, the Luke Walsh's Try wasn't correct :Armor went on running and stopped very near Escaré, for me, he was playing and was off side (i thought, if you are Off side, you need to stop ten meters from the receiver)?

But it is written is this Ref's weekly Q&A sessions on twitter :  

Luke Walsh’s try is correct by law but agree the law doesn’t seem quite right

What'is the real law ?

New interpretation this year. If the full back (or any defending player) isn't in a position where they are waiting for the ball to come towards them then an attacking player can be in front and within the 10m as long as they dont touch the ball or interfere in any way with the defending teams ability to retrieve the ball. 

When Walsh kicked through the ball went past Escare so effectively it then just became a footrace between the 2 of them to get to the ball. Amor never touched the ball and he never obstructed Escare in getting to it so was deemed to have not interfered with play.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Archived