Should Wigan cancel Sam Tomkins Contract?

I would not want to pin my hopes on Hardaker as a person to build a World. Cup team around.

We can't get precious about that.  He's done his time, so to speak.  If McBanana is going to hold his past against him then he's less of a coach than I thought he was (and I don't think he's much of a coach as it is).  Hardaker should be given his chance to shine.

I would not want to pin my hopes on Hardaker as a person to build a World. Cup team around.

but as a player to provide the vital  last line of defence and catch all those high balls  would you think he was the man for the job.to say nothing of his exciting attacking play 

lots of people have troubled pasts and turn themselves around  but some blinkered minds wont give anyone the benefit of that second chance will they

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

but as a player to provide the vital  last line of defence and catch all those high balls  would you think he was the man for the job.to say nothing of his exciting attacking play 

lots of people have troubled pasts and turn themselves around  but some blinkered minds wont give anyone the benefit of that second chance will they

Only a second chance?

Seriously, Hardaker would be a handful for the Kiwis, and I'd be happy to see him or Sam Tomkins at FB.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tomkins has been average at best for NZ Warriors in his whole time there

Lost pace,still dodgy under the high ball.

Not happy with Hardakers antics previously but his rugby form is excellent and thats what counts.

So SHOULD be automatic choice for FB,wont hold my breath though

Tomkins has been a valued asset for NZ Warriors as, until only very recently (while not being 100% fit), they had an unbeaten record when he was in the team. "Average" is wishful thinking.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

He should be one of the Warriors absolute best every game.

He has cost around $90,000 per game according to one New Zealand news outlet.

I thought Tomkins did pretty well last year in this first NRL season. This year he has been held back by injury but looked to be coming into some form just as Johnson got injured which has severely disrupted the Warriors.

Anyway, as an England fan I would be happy with Hardaker at number 1 and the best thing about the Warriors St George game was the form of Widdop who bossed the game after Marshal went off. Nailed on for the number 6 jersey.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I thought he was good last year but I couldn't fit him in the top 6 NRL FBs. To be fair though, the top 6 were players like Slater, Hayne, Inglis, Brett Stewart, Morgan, Moylan, so 7th is still high quality.

Tomkins is an excellent ball player and support player but, in the NRL, the goal-line defence and hard-running kick returns are also important and I think he lacked a bit there.

As for Hardaker/Tomkins. if anyone has watched the NZ Warriors this year, do you really think Hardaker would have done better? Tomkins isn't the first player to look great in a top team but not so great in a weaker team. Nearly every Storm player who moved to another NRL club did the same.

Hardaker has a bit more "mongrel" about him, which I think an NRL FB needs. I personally think he'd go really well. Him, Watkins & Hall from Leeds strike me as NRL players any day of the week.

Has Tomkins ever returned a kick from FB in his life? He always just dishes to an outside back so he can then start the next possession from dummy half. He's never really been a full back for me and NRL has shown that up in spades. You can get away with leaving the grunt work and just showboating in the attacking line against SL duds but not in NRL. The few glimpses of good form he's shown have been getting up in the attacking line supporting the halves and I've barely seen that this season.

If there is a worse starting FB in NRL this season I would love to know who he is.

We can't get precious about that.  He's done his time, so to speak.  If McBanana is going to hold his past against him then he's less of a coach than I thought he was (and I don't think he's much of a coach as it is).  Hardaker should be given his chance to shine.

I don't know him, all I am going on is his character as manifested over the last few years, not a single incident. the next World Cup will involve nearly 2 months in camp in the southern hemisphere. Just as long, a far better player than Hardaker, was a less than ideal tourist, I have seen enough to make me wonder whether Hardaker can be relied upon in a key position to step up. I am all for giving people second or third or fourth chances and believe we should pick the men best placed to take England to victory. I would counsel caution that's all.

I think its great that we've got this selection problem.. its very easy to stick with the status quo and keep Tomkins in the number 1 jersey, especially when the competition is someone whose been a let down for both club and country in the recent past. Many times in the past we've stuck with the same players in test teams ahead of giving others the chance they probably deserved, and as much as a fan of Sam Tomkins as i am, on current form Zak Hardaker deserves the number 1 jersey. Without a shadow of doubt.

Tomkins has to be in the squad, but at the moment wouldn't feature in my 17.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Obviously both Hardaker n Tomkins will be the 2full bks in the squad, imo Hardaker will be 1st choice but no way would i have 2full bks in the starting 17 however there is 3matches against new zealand so if Hardaker doesn't perform or gets injured Tomkins will be there to take his place. simple

Were all intital to our opinions but the only one that counts is steve mcs.

COME ON THE CORN

CLASSY CAS 4EVA

Go Go Go York City Knights!

I think it's hilarious that somebody is advocating the nullifying of a contract because in their opinion he's having a terrible season. 

If we used that mentality can you imagine how many contract calculations we'd see every season?

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

I think it's hilarious that somebody is advocating the nullifying of a contract because in their opinion he's having a terrible season.

If we used that mentality can you imagine how many contract calculations we'd see every season?

Not to mention the main reason for him having a far from brilliant season being a lengthy spell of injury.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Not to mention the main reason for him having a far from brilliant season being a lengthy spell of injury.

I'll report you to the moderators for bringing facts into the argument if you're not careful!

So, just watch it, all right?  :nono:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just asked the question to get others views. Personally wouldn't want Wigan to be lumbered with such a financial liability if he is on the slide.

Personally I wouldn't be over disappointed if Sam Tomkins were to be omitted from the England squad this autumn. The full off season rest may be what he needs to fully recover from his injury.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Tomkins is a great talent suffering from a lack of form

Anyone who thinks he's a poor player really should take their head for a wobble.

Also if it's due to a dislike for his personality and people find Hardakers is favourable then I really do need to reconsider my values in life

Personally I think they are both outstanding . Both are also flawed as people and I'd pick either and be happy

It'd be nice if rugby league fans tried a bit harder to remember our sports unique core values sometimes.

As others have said, it might be best if he's given the full off season to fully recover. He's hardly set the world on fire in his time in the NRL, but no doubt he will still be a class act next year. Put it this way, I think most fans of other SL sides would love to have him in their side

Thank You for Listening

Derek

Archived