Just when you thought it could'nt any worse.

Could be worse.

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

England appoint Jimmy Lowes as assistant coach to McNamara. My faith in the RFL has just reached rock bottom.

Incredible isn't it. Makes you wonder if these 2 are just the cheap options.

Where is the vision in this appointment. It fails to make a +ve statement. Is Jimmy Lowes to be the successor to the throne?

It could be because Wane, McDermott, Anderson and Powell don't see themselves as an assistant to McNamara. I would love to see a bit more vision for this type of appointment.

We should be bringing in a Sculthorpe or Fittler or Johns or Lockyer as a fresh face who has been there and done it. It is only a 4-5 week gig it would be perfect for some of these legends. How much would it cost for 5 weeks? I don't think coaching is the main priority for elite players in November of the season. It is more about mental, game management and concentration.

It could be because Wane, McDermott, Anderson and Powell don't see themselves as an assistant to McNamara. I would love to see a bit more vision for this type of appointment.

We should be bringing in a Sculthorpe or Fittler or Johns or Lockyer as a fresh face who has been there and done it. It is only a 4-5 week gig it would be perfect for some of these legends. How much would it cost for 5 weeks? I don't think coaching is the main priority for elite players in November of the season. It is more about mental, game management and concentration.

I don't think we should be recruiting Aussies for the national set up. Lowes of course has been there and done it all at the highest level. He's a good young British coach. McNamara is holding down a coaching job in the NRL, so I suspect he's developing his skills at the highest level.

Sculthorpe has no credentials whatsoever in regard to the role on offer.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

I don't think we should be recruiting Aussies for the national set up. Lowes of course has been there and done it all at the highest level. He's a good young British coach. McNamara is holding down a coaching job in the NRL, so I suspect he's developing his skills at the highest level.

Sculthorpe has no credentials whatsoever in regard to the role on offer.

And of course you're not dismissing them because of their Bradford ties.

McNamara a huge success as Bradford coach of course...! I don't think you'll find many Bulls fans with rose tinted specs of his days in charge (although personally they are glory days compared to what followed)

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Is it April fools day?

No but it was when Hull FC gave Richard Agar a contract extension a few years since.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

. McNamara is holding down a coaching job in the NRL, so I suspect he's developing his skills at the highest level.

I have been watching many games by the Sydney Roosters, and when the camera focuses on the coach's box I look carefully for any sign of Steve McNamara, alongside the head coach Trent Robinson. I regularly see assistant coach Craig Fitzgibbon. But I never see Steve McNamara on either side of Robinson. The only time that I have seen McNamara at games was when he was on the sideline chatting to the players during an interval. He seems to be not the right hand man of Trent Robinson. Maybe some other viewers have had a different experience. But if my perceptions are correct, it raises questions about how important McNamara really is on the Sydney Roosters' coaching staff.

I have been watching many games by the Sydney Roosters, and when the camera focuses on the coach's box I look carefully for any sign of Steve McNamara, alongside the head coach Trent Robinson. I regularly see assistant coach Craig Fitzgibbon. But I never see Steve McNamara on either side of Robinson. The only time that I have seen McNamara at games was when he was on the sideline chatting to the players during an interval. He seems to be not the right hand man of Trent Robinson. Maybe some other viewers have had a different experience. But if my perceptions are correct, it raises questions about how important McNamara really is on the Sydney Roosters' coaching staff.

If the coach sits in a box up in the stands, he needs to have one assistant directly in touch with the players at the side of the pitch. That doesn't necessarily indicate importance or lack of.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

And of course you're not dismissing them because of their Bradford ties.

I'm not bothered if McNamara is the coach or not, he hardly has cult status at Odsal, but let's have some consideration to his development.  Same for Lowes, in fact I'd rather Lowes wasn't the assistant so he can concentrate on Bradford.  However, again, he's a young British coach learning his trade.  I don't see how you can possibly put people like Sculthorpe ahead of him in that role let alone recently retired Aussies with no coaching experience.

Whatever McNamara's actual role at the Roosters, and he's listed as an assistant coach, then he will be working inside one of the most professional outfits in the NRL.  In terms of systems, player development, tactics, player care, assessment, motivations, structures, technologies etc etc he'll be learning a lot.  One thing no-one sensible can accuse McNamara of is not being a student of the game.  Lets not forget what was coming out of the England camp during the world cup - best ever prepared England team wasn't it?

In terms of other candidates for the assistant then we don't know who has been approached, if anyone else, and what their thoughts are.  Who are we to say that Powell or Anderson wouldn't work under McNamara.  I'd have said that Richard Marshall at Halifax must be on the RFLs radar for development as well.

Lowes of course has been there and done it all at the highest level. He's a good young British coach. McNamara is holding down a coaching job in the NRL, so I suspect he's developing his skills at the highest level.

Lowes may have done it all as a player but he's done nothing as a coach so far, so how do you know he's any good ?

And as for McBanana, he's just an assistant coach / glorified water carrier, hardly the credentials for holding our international coaches position.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Well

Lowes may have done it all as a player but he's done nothing as a coach so far, so how do you know he's any good ?

And as for McBanana, he's just an assistant coach / glorified water carrier, hardly the credentials for holding our international coaches position.

Lowes has been head coach at some tricky gigs in SL, he's been assistant to Brian Mac at a successful Rhinos, and he's headed up Leeds Carnegie in the other code.  Add to that he's already been in the England set up and doing pretty well at the Bulls I'd say that's a fair coaching CV.  Whatever you think of Lowes, and I accept that a lot of people don't like him, he has got a coaching record.

We don't know if anyone is any good until they get the chance.  What we do need to avoid is making ridiculous appointments that are ill-thought out.  Check out what's happening at Newcastle Knights for something current on that front.

If you accept the point that there are only two teams to beat that constitute a success for England at international level would you say that our national coach is better served being head coach at a SL club or inside one of the top clubs in the NRL?  Because that hasn't worked the last 99 times we've tried it.

Well

Lowes has been head coach at some tricky gigs in SL, he's been assistant to Brian Mac at a successful Rhinos, and he's headed up Leeds Carnegie in the other code.  Add to that he's already been in the England set up and doing pretty well at the Bulls I'd say that's a fair coaching CV.  Whatever you think of Lowes, and I accept that a lot of people don't like him, he has got a coaching record.

We don't know if anyone is any good until they get the chance.  What we do need to avoid is making ridiculous appointments that are ill-thought out.  Check out what's happening at Newcastle Knights for something current on that front.

If you accept the point that there are only two teams to beat that constitute a success for England at international level would you say that our national coach is better served being head coach at a SL club or inside one of the top clubs in the NRL?  Because that hasn't worked the last 99 times we've tried it.

Without question, a head Coach !

Assistants dont have to make key decisions and just follow instructions from someone else. Going from this to having to make those decisions at international level is just asking for problems. McBanana was pretty useless as a head coach, has not achieved anything so far with the national team, and now just serves as a 'yes boy' to someone else in the NRL. Added to the fact he can't possibly watch & analyse every SL game every week to see how all the players are performing means he's not the right man for the top job.

As for Lowes his record is hardly glowing. He's guided Bulls to runner up in the championship this year (not hard when they were only 1 of 3 full time teams in there), coached a poor union team, and didn't exactly serve a long apprenticeship under McDermott.

Without question, a head Coach !

Assistants dont have to make key decisions and just follow instructions from someone else. Going from this to having to make those decisions at international level is just asking for problems. McBanana was pretty useless as a head coach, has not achieved anything so far with the national team, and now just serves as a 'yes boy' to someone else in the NRL. Added to the fact he can't possibly watch & analyse every SL game every week to see how all the players are performing means he's not the right man for the top job.

As for Lowes his record is hardly glowing. He's guided Bulls to runner up in the championship this year (not hard when they were only 1 of 3 full time teams in there), coached a poor union team, and didn't exactly serve a long apprenticeship under McDermott.

Who should be England Head Coach and who should be the assistant?

Dear Sir

I think it should be McNamara and Lowes.

Full-time.

Immediately.

Signed:

A Welsh Bulls Supporter

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Head coach - Powell, Wane then McDermott in that order would have been my preference

Assistant - I'd favour having someone hugely experienced to help & advise the head coach. I wouldn't be too bothered whether they were British or Aussie just so long as they had the right experience & temperament to be that voice of logic & reason, particularly in the heat of a game. Possibly someone like Brian Smith would be good along side Powell.

As for young, up & coming British coaches like Lowes, have them as part of the set up to gain experience for the future, and it probably wouldn't be a bad thing to have 2 or 3 of these guys around working individually with players in the preparation for games. 

i have said for the past few years that brian mcdermott should be the national coach with darryll powell as his assistant

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

Archived