Does one fit suit all ?

Where possible all leagues should align and play by the same formats, it creates consistency and less confusion. If there are mitigating circumstances which require this to be different then these should be considered though, providing the business case is strong enough

Where possible all leagues should align and play by the same formats, it creates consistency and less confusion. If there are mitigating circumstances which require this to be different then these should be considered though, providing the business case is strong enough

I think leagues outside the heartlands should aspire to the full season, but if they're not ready yet then they shouldn't be forced. I think the north east and midlands are closest

I think leagues outside the heartlands should aspire to the full season, but if they're not ready yet then they shouldn't be forced. I think the north east and midlands are closest

100% agree. I'd go one step further though. All the non heartland leagues should form an overseeing committee that tries to get leagues to work together (one sponsor etc) rather than competing against each other.

Obviously each league is still run by the respective clubs but an overall framework could help?

it should be whatever suits the clubs in the league and area they play in, central planning didn't work for the soviet union, pretty sure they had more money than the rfl

You can't have clubs dictating what they want to do. Yes they need a say but they can't be leading on it, otherwise you get selfish decisions thinking about themselves rather than the benefit of the wider game

Totally agree and that's what the merit league should be for, for teams that don't want to play a full season

Some interesting points .

My argument is that as administrations we are having our hands tied behind our backs by people who do not understand how the community game works.

In our region for example we addressed a problem of not enough kids playing the game bringing in a new age band on the switch to summer in 2012 we started with 12 newbie U7s teams which fed into the U7s this year this has grown into over 50 teams with a new playing format which the kids and clubs love .

Yet we are being told to play a format that nobody wants in our region because our NGB think that unproven academic studies are the way to go .

We have no problem with that being run in areas where it has support but at this age group we do not play against other regions .

So what is the arm in running the two formats and comparing the growth and development in say three years based on practical application over and above academic theory ?

As a very good friend of mine says academic theory said the Titanic was unsinkable ?

You can't have clubs dictating what they want to do. Yes they need a say but they can't be leading on it, otherwise you get selfish decisions thinking about themselves rather than the benefit of the wider game

The clubs should form an elected body to deal with the problems at a local level, nothing should be dictated down to them, they should have an idea whats the right way forward for their area as they play their games/recruit/volunteer in it. 

yes some standard things should be mandated like having qualified referees etc but why should someone from castleford dictate how to run the competition in cornwall with not knowing what things are like on the ground there or the challenges they face.

Some interesting points .

My argument is that as administrations we are having our hands tied behind our backs by people who do not understand how the community game works.

In our region for example we addressed a problem of not enough kids playing the game bringing in a new age band on the switch to summer in 2012 we started with 12 newbie U7s teams which fed into the U7s this year this has grown into over 50 teams with a new playing format which the kids and clubs love .

Yet we are being told to play a format that nobody wants in our region because our NGB think that unproven academic studies are the way to go .

We have no problem with that being run in areas where it has support but at this age group we do not play against other regions .

So what is the arm in running the two formats and comparing the growth and development in say three years based on practical application over and above academic theory ?

As a very good friend of mine says academic theory said the Titanic was unsinkable ?

Yes but they learnt from this and redeveloped the technology...I.e adapted the idea and continued....

too many people in RL want to stay in wooden long boat sail ships with no engine's...because it worked fine in Elizabethan times.....the vikings thrived in these boats etc....

And some people want to engage , experiment , debate and find solutions .

Some just nod their heads say yes sir no sir three bags full sir and sell their souls to the devil .

Back to thread we all live in the British Isles one government but different parts of the country adopt different rules to suit , one example no tuition fees in Scotland but tuition fees in England .

No one fit there works for Scotland but not for England .

In RL we have regional academy's and club Academy's playing in the same competition no one fit there I could go on .

The clubs should form an elected body to deal with the problems at a local level, nothing should be dictated down to them, they should have an idea whats the right way forward for their area as they play their games/recruit/volunteer in it. 

yes some standard things should be mandated like having qualified referees etc but why should someone from castleford dictate how to run the competition in cornwall with not knowing what things are like on the ground there or the challenges they face.

Looking at the latest set of Operational Rules every decision taken locally will need to be passed by the RFL if they don't want you to do it, you can't do it.

Yes but they learnt from this and redeveloped the technology...I.e adapted the idea and continued....

too many people in RL want to stay in wooden long boat sail ships with no engine's...because it worked fine in Elizabethan times.....the vikings thrived in these boats etc....

Yes everyone should learn from mistakes over the years, so why do the RFL keep making the same ones? is this why the Amateur game is in such a mess?

Looking at the latest set of Operational Rules every decision taken locally will need to be passed by the RFL if they don't want you to do it, you can't do it.

Yes everyone should learn from mistakes over the years, so why do the RFL keep making the same ones? is this why the Amateur game is in such a mess?

Yes partly but it takes 2 to tango and both sides are guilty of pig headedness and it's the players that suffer, hence why they're walking away. You need to have some form of standardisation of format. You can't go around doing what you want, thinking you know best - what next, changing your own rules of the game?

Yes partly but it takes 2 to tango and both sides are guilty of pig headedness and it's the players that suffer, hence why they're walking away. You need to have some form of standardisation of format. You can't go around doing what you want, thinking you know best - what next, changing your own rules of the game?

Yes it does take 2 to tango, but it appears only one to run the game, there has to be give or take, not every idea from both sides will work but it's their way or no way at the moment. How can you have people paid by the RFL making decisions on the game for the good of the Amateur game when they won't listen, the one league that has stood up to them has been threatened with sanctions, no RFL money spent on their league, no support, funny this league has seen possibly the largest % increase in participation of any league

A fact no one at Red Hall wants to recognise , we are totally puzzled in the NW as to why no one appears to want to take a look at what we are doing and at least debate our merits , we are not perfect far from it but we are having year on year growth despite all the turmoil .

Is is more about generating money for the pro game over and above the needs of the community .

Perhaps if we charged the kids for playing someone might look up and listen .

If our increase in participation was matched across the game SE would not be withdrawing funding but actually increasing it .

Unfortunately the people who run the game don't play it and have become so insulated over the years that they think they know better that the 100's of community clubs who are struggling on a weekly basis.

The game is at a crossroads, the RU World Cup could eclipse RL altogether if they target the schools and colleges on the back of the World Cup.

I don't know how you even begin to petition the RFL in how the game should be ran for the MAJORITY of rugby league teams, as opposed to the minority which is what we see at present.

The on-going argument over youth with the NWCL is a good example. Sport England have been the puppet master for a number of years now, and lets be honest, they have got their targets completely wrong, but rather than admit it, they take the easy option and blame the RFL for failing to deliver!!

The only way RL will start to see any growth is to put the bulk of its resources in growing the game from the ages of 5+ - not 14+ as it is now, or 16+ as it was before that.

RL is a contact sport and you will always get drop off at every age group, the secret is to have a larger pool of players to start with.

I think that youth rugby needs completely revamped as well. To simplify it, we should change it to school years and each child should be issued with a card that allows them to play 2 age groups and play on alternative weeks, (but never more than one school year older). For example a current under 12 player would be issued with a year 7/8 card. One week the child would be playing against kids his own age group (U12' or year 7's) and competing, the following week he would play year 8's (or U13's). This would double the length of the season and help areas such as Cumbria where there are only 5 or 6 teams in each league. It would also help stop players become disillusioned playing a full season against kids older than them and getting regularly beaten by large scores.

This system would allow players to develop at their own pace, so if they are on the smaller timed side, they needn't start playing the top age fixtures until they feel confident enough. This would help to reduce the number of kids dropping out of the game.

If developed properly, this system could work right through the age groups and help increase the number of players who eventually move into open age be running this level of competition to U19's.

The community board is a nodding donkey for the RFL .

Where you start is walk away from the RFL approach Sport England with a business plan for funding just like amateur boxing did and grew from strength to strength .

Or do like we have done for many years stand on our own two feet and look after the community clubs .

We can survive without the RFL they can't survive without us .

With funding directed purely and simply at the grass roots any funding can go where it is best utilised at the coal face not the board room .

We have many talented people in the community game who have a wealth of knowledge and experience over and above a majority of the RFL foot soldiers who if they were given a small percentage of the funding available would make a difference by investing the time and resources into all the right places .

It's what we do best and have done for many years with little or no help .

Unfortunately the people who run the game don't play it and have become so insulated over the years that they think they know better that the 100's of community clubs who are struggling on a weekly basis.

(I agree and the worse thing is they won't listen, they have been cleaver paying people to be on side and looking after the high profile clubs)

The game is at a crossroads, the RU World Cup could eclipse RL altogether if they target the schools and colleges on the back of the World Cup.

(Again I agree I have been saying for a long time the RU will not waste the legacy that RL did, apparently the most successful World Cup ever what did we gain, a small profit for the RFL?)

I don't know how you even begin to petition the RFL in how the game should be ran for the MAJORITY of rugby league teams, as opposed to the minority which is what we see at present.

(Even some of the high profile minority clubs are struggling)

The on-going argument over youth with the NWCL is a good example. Sport England have been the puppet master for a number of years now, and lets be honest, they have got their targets completely wrong, but rather than admit it, they take the easy option and blame the RFL for failing to deliver!!

(Sorry I think the RFL with SE set the targets, that is what they base the funding on, please read the total game plan)

The only way RL will start to see any growth is to put the bulk of its resources in growing the game from the ages of 5+ - not 14+ as it is now, or 16+ as it was before that.

(They are trying with primary but can the game wait 10 years it is about getting the right balance)

RL is a contact sport and you will always get drop off at every age group, the secret is to have a larger pool of players to start with.

(Yes)

I think that youth rugby needs completely revamped as well. To simplify it, we should change it to school years and each child should be issued with a card that allows them to play 2 age groups and play on alternative weeks, (but never more than one school year older). For example a current under 12 player would be issued with a year 7/8 card. One week the child would be playing against kids his own age group (U12' or year 7's) and competing, the following week he would play year 8's (or U13's). This would double the length of the season and help areas such as Cumbria where there are only 5 or 6 teams in each league. It would also help stop players become disillusioned playing a full season against kids older than them and getting regularly beaten by large scores.

This system would allow players to develop at their own pace, so if they are on the smaller timed side, they needn't start playing the top age fixtures until they feel confident enough. This would help to reduce the number of kids dropping out of the game.

If developed properly, this system could work right through the age groups and help increase the number of players who eventually move into open age be running this level of competition to U19's.

(They try this in Hull due to low numbers players are allowed to play up one year and those that are playing out of their age group can play down)

Archived