Crowdwatch - (Merged threads)

I thought it was a decent turn out at Catalans. Worst weather of the summer. Motorways clogged up. Lost their last five games. Seemed mere hand full travelling over from Saints understandably. All matchs shown live on TV in France keeping people at home more often. Solid 7,500 base line of locals to build on from now on as both the team and club go forward.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree 100%. Another reason why these are far more comparable to play off games.

Not knowing fixtures to such a late date is annoying-wife said why did you not re arrange flight times would have gone to match with me!!,

summer holidays-sat in carcassone  airport  at kick off time waiting to return to UK.

Blake Solly knew gates dip every year at this time!.should have started 8 's when school returns in September.

on an SL average of 8k. A 2k fall would mean the 1 in 4 people were on holiday. That seems an awful lot to me.

well it is school holidays....and the game markets to familys....when I go away that will be 4 of us not attending and therefore means 4 in 16....or that 12 people who would attend to balance the equation....

At the risk of being accused of making excuses again, I think a handful of Saints fans managed to attend the game in Perpignan but obviously with such short notice there was never going to be a great turnout from us. That will go some way to explaining the drop in the attendance figure for the Dragons. Even with more notice there may not have been many there anyway as two trips to Perpignan are beyond most people's budget and/or annual leave capabilities.

I agree in part however would you say Saints, Wigan, Leeds would have 1,000 or 2,000 travelling out to games in Perpignan? They were getting near 10,000 at one point this year.

I agree in part however would you say Saints, Wigan, Leeds would have 1,000 or 2,000 travelling out to games in Perpignan? They were getting near 10,000 at one point this year.

A load of our lot went out this season.  I think someone who went reckoned it was our biggest turnout ever.  I doubt we would have been in our thousands though although I have no idea since I have yet to be able to afford to go myself!  But it is the summer holiday season in France and over here and our numbers always dip during the summer months.  That's the disadvantage of summer rugby I suppose.

The Leeds crowd went from 17,430 to 13,118 so a reduction of 4,312.

Firstly, although the general circumstances for both games were the same (coming off big and important victories over St Helens) the 17k crowd was still slightly more than would normally be expected for a Wire game, maybe 1k or so more. This was because it was Kevin Sinfield's 500th game for Leeds and was very, very heavily promoted as such.

That aside, the following are clear reasons:

1. Obviously less Warrington fans, perhaps as many as 1,000 fewer.

2. Less corporates. You just can't give the corporate market nine days notice and expect to sell it out, as it normally is for most Leeds games and definitely is for the premium games like Warrington. Leeds were scrabbling around for match sponsors, the sort of package that sells out months in advance of the start of a new season. At best, the corporate side was half full on Friday (I'd say at least 750 fewer than normal and probably 1,000); fewer people and discounting the prices to achieve even that will have cost Leeds tens of thousands of pounds.

3. The balance then is the casual fan. I don't think there will be any Leeds fans who view the Super 8s as in any way an inferior competition, the league challenge is ongoing. There could perhaps be  a lack of cash for some due to buying cup final tickets. But more than anything we come back to the short notice of the game. If you can't give corporates such short notice you equally can't give it to the general public and expect them to drop everything and be there come what may.

Is there anything that can be done about this? Not much given the structure - we can just be thankful the cup semi weekend was there to give an extra seven days planning; given how the BBC use the cup as a filler even this can't be guaranteed in future years.

Leighs game was all pay, 14 games were sold in the ST and this was deemed as the 15th, so the next 3 are covered by the ST.

Leighs two home games against SL opposition are live on sky with sat 3pm ko, disgusting imo as we get nothing from Sky and the gate is decimated

Saturday was the start of the soccer season with Man u Bolton and Everton all at home that day, LMR had a semi final at the same time and Haydock Park had one of the biggest race meetings of the season - which killed corporate

Playing Saturday would have cost us about £50k as opposed to 3pm Sunday

Round 1 attendances: (Averages for the regular season)

Leeds - 13,118 (15,921) 2,803
Wigan - 11,448 (13,981) 2,533
Catalan - 7,392 (8,925) 1,533
Castleford - 6,760 (7,468) 708
Salford - 3,400 (4,167) 767
Bradford - 6,032 (5,222) 810
Leigh - 4,454 (3,787) 667
Halifax - 3,022 (1,973) 1,049
London - 350 (731) 381
Dewsbury - 901 (1,462) 561
Featherstone - 1,107 (2,241) 1,134
Workington - 864. (805) 59

It would seem the Middle 8 is where the interest is, with all 5 SL sides showing lower crowds. Apathy would seem to have set in in the lower 8 too.

Thank You for Listening

Derek

For all those that wanted rid of the top 8 play-off, welcome to the all new top 8 play-off with bottom 8 play-off thrown in.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

350 attended the London game now is that bad or what and there wasn't any issues with the northern line at the weekend.

350.... That's crazy low, do they even deserve to be in the championship with such low crowds. Regardless what people say they really don't have much of a support base.

I,ve no actual figures toback this up - but my gut feeling is that league attendances always seem to take a dip In August. This was then followed by a further reduction for the play offs.

I suggest the following all have an impact.

1- Peak holiday season

2- Short notice for fixtures.

3-Start of the football season.

4-Extra televised fixtures.

5-People forking out for Wembley and Old Trafford

6-If your team are nearer the bottom or nothing to play for.

Any other ideas and any answers to remedy the situation?

How do these compare against play off crowds? Am guessing very well.

For all those that wanted rid of the top 8 play-off, welcome to the all new top 8 play-off with bottom 8 play-off thrown in.

Last years first round play off "8" teams

Wigan.v.Fartown 8,652

Leeds.v.Catalans 7,112

Saints.v.Cas 7,548

Wire.v.Widnes 7,229

Poor crowds averaging 8K literally 4K down from the top fours average attendances

BUT paying crowds so extra money??

Not sure what to make of it??

Another point I,d like to add is familiarity at the top of the game.

Leeds have been good this season but Saints and wigans position is more down to the other teams lack of challenge.

Huddersfield have been their usual inconsistent self,Catalans only perform at home, Hulls continual underachievement and most worringly-Warrington. 

Some people say its the same in the football Premiership -but just being there appeals to many. The same cannot be said in Wakefield,Salford and Huddersfield.

I,ve no actual figures toback this up - but my gut feeling is that league attendances always seem to take a dip In August. This was then followed by a further reduction for the play offs.

Any other ideas and any answers to remedy the situation?

Your analysis is very interesting & comprehensive.

The only comment I have is that we get £200M contracts from SKY for playing "rugby" across the summer and that is vital to the game, so I do think we need to find ways to maximise crowds, but if playing across the school holidays then running into the start of the soccer and Union is always going to be a downside it's one we get paid handsomely for and have to minimise the effect of but ultimately accept.

The overall marketing of our game since the advent of SL has been poor at best.

Bradford in the early days and clubs such as Wigan with their "big one " promotion are the odd exceptions.

Whether it be the RFL ot the clubs themselves they need to look in the mirror and say can we do any better?

How do these figures compare with the earlier Play Offs top 5/6?

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Clearly the crowds are well up on play off fixtures, their closest equivalents. They should be capable of being improved yet further with lessons learnt from this year, so there is much to be optimistic about at SL level at least.

if these are comparable to the play offs. What are the play offs comparable to?

So you want to compare the play offs of this year against the super 8s of this year which you compare against the playoffs of last year? Wouldn't the play offs of this year be comparable to the play offs of last year?

Doesn't that leave us in a position where hundreds of thousands more attended the regular season last year?

If you like. Given that there were a lot more games in the regular season, then yes lots more people attended. Lots more people will attend the play off equivalents though.

Next year we can compare like for like - this year we can't sensibly compare them to regular season games. I suggest we wait a year before considering trends.

If you like. Given that there were a lot more games in the regular season, then yes lots more people attended. Lots more people will attend the play off equivalents though.

Next year we can compare like for like - this year we can't sensibly compare them to regular season games. I suggest we wait a year before considering trends.

why can't we sensible compare them to regular seasons games? They are league games included on a season ticket. Why should we expect there to be a significant change in crowds?

Sounds like excuse making to me

Archived