distance to target

what do fans think of this new idea of telling us how far it is to the try line.I find it distracting i am ending up putting a book where it comes on.Surely we all know more or less how far they have run.Another one of Clarkeys or is it Skys we have enough with the station logo the scoreboard thats fine then there is all the other stats near the scoreboard.Wells & Carney are fine but on screen tidbits like the yardage one i can do without. I hope it does not continue next season or tha book will be out for ever.People who have not watched RL if they turn on to a match what are they thinking the target is.

I don't find it annoying but think it's a bit odd. I preferred it when they showed the number of metres gained on each play. I just find myself working that out by the distances to the try line from one play to the next now. Easy enough but I'm not sure what the advantage of 'distance to target' instead is, nor why they'd use 'target' instead of 'try line'. 

Its an annoying distraction, sooner have a figure in the corner on screen all the time if they are going to do something.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

It is easy to ignore, unless you are determined to be outraged by it.

The silly swishing sound when an on-screen graphic appears is very Eighties, though. They could do well to get rid of all that.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I thought it was odd. I'm glad someone else mentioned it because I started wondering if it was there all along and I'd only just noticed. In four decades of watching RL I've never heard any commentator, coach or player use the expression, "distance to target."

Us simple Northerners need this to be on screen because we can't work out the distance using the numbers on the pitch!

Completely pointless, but easy enough to ignore.

Looks like they borrowed it from American Football where the distance to first down is a relevant measure.

I'm not keen on it but it doesn't really bother me. I heard people talking about it on twitter on Thursday and how abhorrent it was, then when I watched Friday's match, I noticed it was there and then quickly tuned it out and forgot about it.

I agree though, it should say "Distance to try line" or something along those lines

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

While it's being a bit pedantic, the main problem I have with the term 'target' is that, depending on the circumstances, scoring a try isn't necessarily going to be the prime objective, or 'target', of each play. If, for example, you're 6 points ahead and have the ball on the last tackle in a decent position with 20 seconds left on the clock, then the chances are you're going to put it into touch rather than go for the try, even if the latter would be the ideal outcome.

I don't mind having this statistic flash up, and it may well be liked by casual viewers or newcomers to the sport, but I definitely think that replacing 'target' with 'try line' is a simple change they need to make. It only takes up a tiny bit more space.

Archived