Jarryd Hayne in the NFL (merged threads)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets not forget that Brian Mac is the USA coach too, maybe he could hold some sway if the Rhinos win the GF this year. This is a fantastic opportunity and we would be fools to let it slip by..........hmmmmm.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves though, otherwise the RL world could end up putting a lot of unnecessary and unwanted pressure on Haynes shoulders.

As an aside, I am far more excited and impressed by the challenge taken on by Jarryd Hayne than that of Sam Burgess, which seems retrograde in comparison.

Lets not forget that Brian Mac is the USA coach too, maybe he could hold some sway if the Rhinos win the GF this year. This is a fantastic opportunity and we would be fools to let it slip by..........hmmmmm.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves though, otherwise the RL world could end up putting a lot of unnecessary and unwanted pressure on Haynes shoulders.

As an aside, I am far more excited and impressed by the challenge taken on by Jarryd Hayne than that of Sam Burgess, which seems retrograde in comparison.

Hayne as taken on a game that few from our code have ever done.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

The Daily Telegraph has a well reasearched article by Simon Briggs on the Hayne Train's progress

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/americanfootball/11832389/Rugby-league-hero-Jarryd-Hayne-takes-NFL-by-storm.html

Though I would post this before Webby does......

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

I saw the clips against the Cowboys via NRL's Facebook page earlier - great stuff!

It's interesting to see him running around blockers as you'd think his instinct would be to avoid that given his RL background and it would be difficult to un-train his brain at this relatively late stage in his sporting career.

If he continues his success into the NFL regular season I genuinely think this could be the single most exciting development in the history of rugby league. 

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28726381/former-rugby-star-jarryd-hayne-looks-like-keeper

They like him in Denver....

On the topic of using this exposure to promote League in the States, it would be fantastic if we could leverage some exposure, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking that it would be a game changer. The best way to grow the game in the states is stability of the new system and investment.

SL and the NRL can do their bit by maybe taking pre-season or exhibition games stateside and it would be great if the England Saxons could maybe tour there, but talk of the 9's in Frisco is just lunacy. The 9's didn't even sell out in its 2nd year in Auckland and tickets are now $69 for 2 days.

Thank You for Listening

Derek

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28726381/former-rugby-star-jarryd-hayne-looks-like-keeper

They like him in Denver....

On the topic of using this exposure to promote League in the States, it would be fantastic if we could leverage some exposure, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking that it would be a game changer. The best way to grow the game in the states is stability of the new system and investment.

SL and the NRL can do their bit by maybe taking pre-season or exhibition games stateside and it would be great if the England Saxons could maybe tour there, but talk of the 9's in Frisco is just lunacy. The 9's didn't even sell out in its 2nd year in Auckland and tickets are now $69 for 2 days.

Great piece, thanks for posting.

I think your 2nd point is to underestimate the power and range of the North American sports landscape. Even just getting people talking about rugby league over there off the back of Hayne would be an incredible raise in profile for the sport on a global level. There's a vast college system over there where about 90% of the players are lost to American football after they graduate - who's to say that NRL can't look to bring some of this lost talent over to Australia or even try to pilfer some of their better young players?

The TV landscape is pretty saturated by their big 4 sports but soccer has made decent inroads and there's no reason why pro RL couldn't look to establish itself over there in some impressive minor capacity (I'm sure that recent Toronto consortium will be looking across the border with great interest also).

This is completely uncharted territory for the sport and we need to capitalise on it. I'm very confident that in Dave Smith we have the right guy in place to do this.

9s wouldn't make any sense. There is already confusion about RL v RU introducing 9s in to the equation is would be crazy.

Send the WCC out there for a few years, follow it up with a few development officers, coaches coaches, referees etc, and just try and get a foothold.

9s wouldn't make any sense. There is already confusion about RL v RU introducing 9s in to the equation is would be crazy.

Send the WCC out there for a few years, follow it up with a few development officers, coaches coaches, referees etc, and just try and get a foothold.

Please not the WCC. We don't need another mismatch on the big stage.

The NRL All Star game would make much more sense. The concept is burned into the American psyche so it would be an easy fit and the best chance of being a good draw.

Just to add a little NBA perspective there are a few high profile Aussies in that league, namely Patty Mills, Andrew Bogut and Matthew Dellavedova. Mills in particular is a high calibre player very much on the up. If Hayne continues to shine I'm sure they'll be fielding questions about him and with the new NBA season not that far away (about 6 weeks) this might be worth looking out for. I know a commentator mentioned once last season that Dellavedova played "rugby" as a kid but typically he was non-specific, although I would think it was RL.

Anyway, just throwing that out there. The NBA commentators always throw in mentions of other sports' topical events during their broadcasts so if Hayne is still doing well with an Aussie on the court in a high profile game we can certainly expect it to get a passing mention and to a very large TV audience.

The TV landscape is pretty saturated by their big 4 sports but soccer has made decent inroads

I attended USA 94, {by which stage "soccer" had tried and failed a number of times to establish itself as a viable pro-sport in the states} and the single game changer that helped the game begin to be taken seriously was the sheer level of interest from the massive Hispanic population, especially in the southern half of the country. Most people in NYC hadn't a clue what was going on on the day of the Ireland v Italy game at Giants and that's taking into account the massive Irish and Italian population in that city....but the TV viewing figures for games featuring south american/central American sides made the TV networks sit up.

Remember, soccer in the states already had seen global icons like Best and Pele and still it had failed.....but the Hispanic hunger for the game was the kicker.

Do you really think that an Aussie Basketball Pro being asked about an Aussie  (POTENTIAL) NFL special teams player is going to even deliver 1% of the foothold we'd need in the USA? Even if Hayne is picked for the 51, if the 49ers are average all year then he'll vanish from the media spotlight.

Let's invest in the grass roots there. The new conferences, the new and single governing body and build on the interest that the internationals between the USA/Canada/Jamaica got a few years back. Forget pie in the sky Canadian sides in the championship. If there's cash and interest, then spend it in north america. That's how you'll expand and grow the game, not because Hayne can return a punt 30 yards!

Thank You for Listening

Derek

Not saying don't.....but let's not build a development strategy around Hayne. That's insanity.

It's not a development strategy in and of itself - I'm just saying I think you underestimate the power of even a little positive exposure for rugby league in the North American sport market.

One obvious possible development is that a benefactor or benefactor(s) (possibly on the very long waiting list for a side in 1 or more of the 4 big US/Canadian sports) see the potential of the sport and invest in it either over there or in 1 of its 2 back yards. That's something that no amount of strategy or "cold calling" type lobbying behind the scenes could manage but a simple photo opportunity between the NFL's hottest new overseas star and some Australian NBA players genuinely could. That kind of is the way they work over there - on instinct and off the back of spontaneous good news stories.

I just say don't underestimate the potential of this. I'm sure Dave Smith and his NRL colleagues won't.

Not saying don't.....but let's not build a development strategy around Hayne. That's insanity.

That would be insanity. But so would passing up the opportunity to use Hayne's current (and hopefully ongoing) newsworthiness as just a part of the overall plan.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

it would be great if the England Saxons could maybe tour there.

Why would the England Union B team be good for Rugby League in the U.S. .??

OOOPS. Meant Knights...although given one S. Burgess would probably be in the saxons, not a complete error.

Thank You for Listening

Derek

That would be insanity. But so would passing up the opportunity to use Hayne's current (and hopefully ongoing) newsworthiness as just a part of the overall plan.

Which is why I said.....

Thank You for Listening

Derek

One obvious possible development is that a benefactor or benefactor(s) (possibly on the very long waiting list for a side in 1 or more of the 4 big US/Canadian sports) see the potential of the sport and invest in it either over there or in 1 of its 2 back yards. 

If you genuinely believe that, then I have some pretty bad news for you regarding Santa, the tooth fairy and Elvis.

The owners of Franchises in US sports are fanatical about the sport their franchise plays. The idea that an ESPN press conference featuring 3 x 7ft Aussies and Hayne would attract a "Warren Buffet" type magnate to buying the Gold Coast Titans or Wakefield Trinity Wildcats is about as far out there as I have ever read on a Rugby League Forum....and there have been some corkers in the past!

Thank You for Listening

Derek

The owners of Franchises in US sports are fanatical about the sport their franchise plays. 

You know all of them do you?

I would say that's a highly contentious point on many levels. Many owners over there (Paul Allen springs to mind) own a team in more than 1 of the sports. Some love the sport, some use the sides as a way to keep their face in the spotlight, some want to give back to the community etc. There are lots of different reasons these guys get involved.

And I would never suggest that an American benefactor would ever buy Wakefield. You know my thoughts on SL. Gold Coast Titans though....that's a different story. Why not?

We'll just have to agree to disagree. There's no right or wrong answer until we see how things pan out.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived