Jarryd Hayne in the NFL (merged threads)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering that he is playing only his second game his performance is ridiculous. Imagine what he may be like once he has some experience! I imagine he will get on the rosta mainly for special teams but then they will look at improving his ability as a running back. The 49ers forum has an ever growing thread on his journey that is well over 150 pages and now full of Australian league fans who have all adopted them as their team.

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stuarts-photography/156268557729980

Considering that he is playing only his second game his performance is ridiculous. Imagine what he may be like once he has some experience! I imagine he will get on the rosta mainly for special teams but then they will look at improving his ability as a running back. The 49ers forum has an ever growing thread on his journey that is well over 150 pages and now full of Australian league fans who have all adopted them as their team.

I am in San Jose, where the 49ers play. The football coverage here is all about Jared Hayne and not for his background- it is about his play.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

If we're clever, we will use the success of Hayne in the USA to promote TGG.

Actually - rugby *nion in the USA is claiming their sport 'invented' Jarryd Hayne. NIgel Melville (head of *nion in the states) saying that 'Rugby's just rugby over here - no time for historical prejudice' - as NFL commentators keep referring to Hayne as a 'rugby player'.

IMAG0394_zpsvjvgze6q.jpg

Notice every commentator and Hayne himself refer to him as a Rugby Player. 99.9% of Americans watching him think he use to play against the All-Blacks. Another reason why we should drop the word "Rugby" from our sport.

Hope he goes well but not too well. Hate to see the situation where American Football come and buy all our good runners from the NRL relegating us to an American Football development competition. Its hard enough beating Rugby Union away from our talent, now we have American Football to contend with as well.

I am in San Jose, where the 49ers play. The football coverage here is all about Jared Hayne and not for his background- it is about his play.

Notice every commentator and Hayne himself refer to him as a Rugby Player. 99.9% of Americans watching him think he use to play against the All-Blacks. Another reason why we should drop the word "Rugby" from our sport.

Hope he goes well but not too well. Hate to see the situation where American Football come and buy all our good runners from the NRL relegating us to an American Football development competition. Its hard enough beating Rugby Union away from our talent, now we have American Football to contend with as well.

Why don't 'we' punt him a load of money to big up RL over there? If he does any bit like, then there will be a bunch of programmes about where he has come from. It seems to me that they can't make enough NFL related TV, so a good player out of the blue(s - haha) is bound to get some attention 

If we're clever, we will use the success of Hayne in the USA to promote TGG.

nfl network would love a pro RL comp in the US. They need to fill their schedules from February to September, RL with some forethought and boldness would be ideal for them

nfl network would love a pro RL comp in the US. They need to fill their schedules from February to September, RL with some forethought and boldness would be ideal for them

It would make sense, but there is little evidence they are looking to diversify.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

This is a report from ESPN, taken from an interview with the Denver Broncos Coach. Glowing praise for Hayne & RL

Jeff Legwold, ESPN Staff Writer

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos got their first live, up-close-and-personal look this week at a player who has crossed the globe to take his NFL shot.

Jarryd Hayne, an Australian who was named the Rugby League International worldwide player of the year in 2009, currently leads the San Francisco 49ers in rushing in the preseason (117 yards on 13 carries, including a 53-yarder in the team’s preseason opener). He's also averaged a double-take-worthy 21.6 yards per punt return.

Hayne registered a 4.54-second clocking in the 40-yard dash at a workout for NFL scouts this past December, and some in attendance said following the workout that there was a place for Hayne in the league. He signed a three-year deal with the 49ers in March for less than what he would have made if he had stayed in Australia -- a little more than $1 million per year.

The Broncos saw Hayne’s potential Wednesday at a joint practice with the 49ers. They will see him again in practice Thursday and in Saturday night’s preseason game at Sports Authority Field at Mile High.

“You could tell he’s real comfortable with the football,’’ Broncos linebacker Von Miller said. “You could tell running the ball he looks real comfortable. He was catching punts … and running. He looks real comfortable. I’d like to think if you could play rugby, you could play football."

At 27, Hayne is a rare athlete who is leaving one sport to try another while still in his athletic prime.

“He’s returning the heck out of kicks right now, tough to tackle," Broncos coach Gary Kubiak said.

Asked if he could make a similar switch and go from football to rugby, Miller said: “No, I play football. But if you can play rugby, it’s a lot more running and contact. You hit without pads over there. So, if you can play rugby, you can play football, in my opinion."

I'm in San Francisco at the moment (having just watched the Giants win again) and there's plenty talk about Hayne doing the rounds. 'He's got some moves' is an expression I've heard more than once. Good luck to the lad.

I would think his greatest challenge will be a mental and me, the lack of involvement will surely test him. He's used to 80 minutes being switched on and in amongst it in rl, especially at full back. In an NFL game he will at most get what, 10 minutes game time as special teams?

Wayne Bennett is encouraging the NRL to play games in the U.S. in order to maximise the exposure for Rugby League and prevent Union from hijacking the story and steal the progression off the back of it.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/wayne-bennett-backs-rugby-league-to-expand-in-america-on-the-back-of-jarryd-hayne/story-fni3g0bn-1227499563612

I'd like to see the IRLF work with the US RL to ensure they get a strong association with Haynes background as a Rugby League player. We should unashamedly attach ourselves to this with a level of vulgarity if necessary.

Time for Russell Crowe to get loud and proud again too, he's ploughed a lonely furrow for a couple of years but Haynes success could amplify his message. Coupled with his decision this year to watch Souths play Sts instead of presenting at the Oscars it could really help the sports profile in the US and finally help Americans separate the two Rugby codes.

One thing I know is the Union authorities will unashamedly hijack this for their own gain if we let them, who knows they may even have Hayne arrested for fraud!

You snooze you lose!

Can't let a chance like this go begging. For me, this is a huge opportunity to make inroads into the American market. Link a team to the 49's and get them to help out with publicity. What about the 9's being played in San Francisco, possibly with an American team involved? A minimum must be pre-season games to showcase our sport. Need to strike while the iron is hot with this.

If Russell Crowe has been ploughing the lonely furrow over what seems baron soil then Hayne may be that special seed that, against the odds, has the unique abilities and attributes that will enable him to flourish. When the American people look him up on You Tube and see where he learned his craft they won't see any repetitive collapses scrums, wonky line outs or endless kicking tennis - just Rugby League, played how it should be played. I am sure everyone in the 49ers locker room is aware of the difference by now.

World Club challenge would be good as long as it was not like last years game between Souths and Saints.

That would send the wrong message, 39-0 was not a good look for an outsider comparing the game in each hemisphere.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived