Last Game of the Season Disadvantage?

ultimate roughyed

Just realised we may be at a disadvantage by playing Oxford on the Saturday rather than the same day as Keighleys last game of the season...........let's say we have very narrow loss to Swinton in a fortnight but Keighley have already put on 60+ on London and similar against Gloucestershire. They could have narrowed the goal difference to something in the region of 20 points going in to the last game of the season.

We then beat Oxford on the Saturdayby say 40 points which means that Keighley know exactly what they have to do against Hemel (Cougars at home) on the Sunday in order to pinch top spot off us.

Let's hope this is academic and we beat or draw with Swinton but it COULD be an issue..........this would not be allowed to happen in other sports (football) where games have to kick off simultaneously so no team has an advantage over the other. Indeed, even half times are synchronised so that the 2nd halves kick off at the same time! Has this already been approved, if not time for a change of mind!

Oxford away — new date

SUBJECT to RFL approval, Oldham’s last game of the regular League One season at Oxford will be brought forward 24 hours to Saturday, September 12 (3pm kick off).

Roughyeds have agreed to play a day early because Oxford University require their Iffley Road Stadium on the Sunday for a game against Waseda University, from Tokyo in Japan.

As tenants, Oxford RL were asked to make the switch.

Said Oldham chairman Chris Hamilton: “Oxford have given us reasonable notice so we have agreed, hoping it won’t prove too disruptive for players getting time off work.

“It’s not ideal because it gives us a day less to get ready for the game after a tough clash at Whitebank against Swinton Lions on the previous Sunday (September 6).

“But we’ve done it once previously this season, when we went to Barrow on a Saturday in May, so we’ll agree to bring the game forward, although the switch will still need to be approved by the RFL.”

With no disrespect to Hemel, if Keighley knew they could finish top of the league by beating them by 60 points I imagine they'd go for it!

Couple of other things to bear in mind, London play the Crusaders next Friday and have to back that up by playing the Cougars 3 days later on the Monday, a tough ask for part time players AND at a stadium they are not used to playing at (I've heard it is being played at Hemel). So there is a good chance Keighley could post a 'cricket' score against London on bank holiday Monday.

Yeah I was thinking about this too.  The way I see it, if we have an unfavourable result against Swinton, we go to Oxford fully aware of the points difference for both ourselves and Keighley.  We'll know what we have to do to increase our advantage to a point where Keighley have a mountain to climb.

After today's heroics though, I'm expecting to go to Oxford and witness Mr Palfrey getting a bit of silverware :)

The problem is MR, in a couple of weeks time after we've played Swinton it may be too late to do anything about it. The date change story only came out 2 weeks ago and needed ratifying by the RFL. I've not heard anything to suggest the RFL have sanctioned this so maybe an alternative solution could be sought by Oxford to allow a 3pm Sunday kick off.

We need to stop these constant calculations and hand-wringing.

It's dead simple. If we win two home games we go up.

Beat Swinton and it's a guaranteed home game in the promotion decider.

Win that home game and we're up.

We've only lost one home game in over two years. We're the form team in the League.

If we can't win two more home games now....

I watched Swinton the other week.  

They are running hot and are getting key players back at the right time.

I believe they are the team to fear out of all of the top 5 teams.

We've got ourselves into a good position so its in our hands now.

I know,i just wish we could get a stadium that Oldham Rugby can be proud of.

Watersheddings was in an extremely poor condition id even liken it to whitebank.

Just need a ground to pull people in get the kids back playing pre and at half time

Sheddings was failing apart it had no fire safety certificate.only covered at both ends

The last match played there against Swinton the board had to get special permission to play it

The seating was dire

At the end sheddings was bad

I loved watersheddings I used to sit in the old stand with my dad.

Then more to the main stand then we stood in the popular side

We had our own space knew the people around us

Now I'm at white bank can't really find a space I'm there for my passed family hoping one day we get to a challenge cup final

Yes I'm deluded but what makes us all fans of Oldham Rugby is hope and drive

Am i the only one that remembers the club/council saying that the soil from sheddings would be put into storage,cos of all the ashes spread on the pitch,and that soil would be used at our "new stadium"...

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Archived