Putting it in perspective

Kevin Nicholas

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell you what I prefer jk to bad days of Thornton picking his team in the x on back of Stokes fag packet

For all that, he left KH with a very good team that only required the signing of Tiger to make it an excellent one. You do owe him that if nothing else.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Gt bashing is every so boring now. Looks as tired as the taverners

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

[For all that, he left KH with a very good team that only required the signing of Tiger to make it an excellent one]

And jason walton, sean hesketh, alex bretherton,lee Greenwood, gareth moore, jonny campbell, alex brown......

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

[For all that, he left KH with a very good team that only required the signing of Tiger to make it an excellent one]

And jason walton, sean hesketh, alex bretherton,lee Greenwood, gareth moore, jonny campbell, alex brown......

Obviously you'd be more clued up than me, but I thought JC was one of Thontons, and the rest came along after "the Messiah" led his people to the great escape, when Batley won most of their remaining matches to avoid the drop. Apologies if my memory is playing tricks - it happens when your old and addled.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Obviously you'd be more clued up than me, but I thought JC was one of Thontons, and the rest came along after "the Messiah" led his people to the great escape, when Batley won most of their remaining matches to avoid the drop. Apologies if my memory is playing tricks - it happens when your old and addled.

The signing of Handforth certainly helped us avoid relegation that season, but Il Cattivo is right, it was the other players mentioned, amongst others, that took us to another level in the next couple of seasons.

Standard of university rugby league on a whole is quite good, a lot better than it was in my day.. there are a few championship 1 coaches who coach univerisity sides as well, Troy perkins (hemel and warwick uni) ,greenwood gloucetershire all golds and gloucester uni, Tom Tsang Cov Bears and cov uni ,where in 2 of the cases the clubs are linked up with the university

Thought the Dogs had a tie up with a Huddersfield Uni/College RL team.  Wasn't there talk about them playing some games at Batley?

Tie up with kirklees/Dewsbury college I think via ben black.

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

I'm very hard of thinking these days GOR, but I thought that JC scored the try that kept us up. 

I'm very hard of thinking these days GOR, but I thought that JC scored the try that kept us up. 

Yeah the point I had tried to make, was that GT's team with the addition of Handforth, not only stayed up but beat some of the top sides in doing so - had GT had the good fortune to sign Tiger, Batley might well have had a good season that year. If's and but's though eh ?

George Bernard Shaw.

Like this season and last season we struggled with only one out and out half back for most games.  I cannot recall the strength of the pack, but with strike players like McGilvary, Cambell, Maun in his prime and a young Ash Lydsay there were plenty of "finishers" in the side if the platform could have been laid. 

Still recall the game were ash went the full length up hill straight from scrum against a top of league barow awsum try

Ended up putting 40 odd points on them. Had a good run of home games around that period racking up big wins v decent outfits like Hull KR and Widnes if my memory serves. Was great to watch.

Archived