How to end a game

Bill H

Recent events have made me wonder what are the best options when the hooter goes if in possession and defending a narrow lead.  If close to touch then running into touch is the obvious one.  What would the decision be if a player in this situation hared away from the opposition and touched the ball down behind his own try line or ran beyond the dead ball line?   Would that be the end of the game?

I think tne key here is that in Rugby League, as opposed to union, there is no need to kick the ball dead. A tackle will end the game.

Therefore if the hooter has ended and the ball is in hand the safest option is to keep hold of the ball, run and take the tackle.

Best idea is stick it up your jumper and take the tackle.

That is the normal "safe" option.  If allowed, to run in the opposite direction would be an even safer option.  I've never seen it done but was curious as to whether the drop out or restart would be invoked or whether that would indeed be the end of the game.

That is the normal "safe" option.  If allowed, to run in the opposite direction would be an even safer option.  I've never seen it done but was curious as to whether the drop out or restart would be invoked or whether that would indeed be the end of the game.

I believe that the only things that would cause the game to continue would be the scoring of a try or an award of a penalty, neither of which would result from your scenario.

Still, in years to come, the "lucky few" will be able to say "I was there................."

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

He could have took the tackle...but what if he had it stripped in a one on one? Every scenario holds its dangers.The safest in this instance would have been for him to run towards his own line and throw it out.Ainscough was caught up in the atmosphere of Fev fighting back late on and I think it was euphoria that led him to believe that Batley had hung on.

He was in middle of pitch approx 30m from our own line and equi distant from each touch. With hindsight,which us a wonderful thing, he could have run to the Batley fans and thrown it to them. Now that would have been a good ending. But as I say hindsight. Also please don't forget his 2 tries, his sprint from bottom to set up what should have been a try, his move from wing to full back, MOM to me except for.........

I say chin up Shaun, the speccies are with you, what better way to reply than with a hat trick against Whitehaven. Go Ainy Go.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

He was in middle of pitch approx 30m from our own line and equi distant from each touch. With hindsight,which us a wonderful thing, he could have run to the Batley fans and thrown it to them. Now that would have been a good ending. But as I say hindsight. Also please don't forget his 2 tries, his sprint from bottom to set up what should have been a try, his move from wing to full back, MOM to me except for.........

I say chin up Shaun, the speccies are with you, what better way to reply than with a hat trick against Whitehaven. Go Ainy Go.

The Yorkshire Post did quote him as MOM.  Touch of the Don Fox.......poor lad.

What is much more alarming is the fact that Fev were able to get back into the game at all. At 26-6 with only 6 minutes remaining Featherstone was dead and buried. And Batley switched off completely.

There was a huge amount of space behind the line, why? And Featherstone were just kicking through and chasing, nothing fancy. Where was the defence? Where was the full back?

To lay the blame at Shaun Ainscoughs door is not only making it very easy, it is also very wrong

I believe that the only things that would cause the game to continue would be the scoring of a try or an award of a penalty, neither of which would result from your scenario.

Still, in years to come, the "lucky few" will be able to say "I was there................."

But it could, if the ref was pedantic he could award a penalty for playing 'contrary to the true spirit of the game'

But it could, if the ref was pedantic he could award a penalty for playing 'contrary to the true spirit of the game'

Pitchforks and burning torches would have suddenly appeared if that were the case.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived