European Refugee Crisis

I think the Tories have made the right move in insisting that, if we have to accept Syrian refugees, we take them from existing refugee camps. We then stand a better chance of cherry-picking the ones who can make a contribution when they get here.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it also provides a route that avoids the terrors of people trafficing,and buys time to filter out the chancers from the genuine refugees.

of course, it remains to be seen if Germany is really committed to the number of 800,000 .

plus we are still the second biggest contributor in monetary terms.

i also realise there is no effective political opposition in the UK,nor will there be for the forseeable future which is why the BBC News and Current Affairs has assumed this role in the "migrant crisis"

Focusing on vulnerable children and orphans. Who we will then deport when they hit 18. Bravo.

That's not true.  When the children get to 18 years old they then have to apply for leave to remain here, under whichever arrangement is appropriate.  At 18 they will be legal adults so having to apply independently makes perfect sense.

why the BBC News and Current Affairs has assumed this role in the "migrant crisis"

Typical fact free opinion from your good self.

Feel free to dredge up that decade-old quote about the BBC being culturally metropolitan to back up your shtick.  It's charming.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It is beyond dispute that the BBC News and Current Affairs team is doing more to oppose the Government than the Lib Dems. But then, that's understandable.

Still, as the refugee/migrant crisis come increasingly under the spotlight, you will have lots of facts to absorb. 

It is beyond dispute that the BBC News and Current Affairs team is doing more to oppose the Government than the Lib Dems. 

A nice line but wrong in every way.

As an example, I watched the BBC reporting on the migrants arriving into Germany and the whole piece was not about the welcoming people at the station but the difficulties such numbers would have on infrastructure, how the local and regional governments were worried about resourcing and the national government had not given any details of what would be provided and how people in Merkel's own party were speaking out about it.  Not one positive thing was said about it in the whole five minute piece.

Now, for your bizarre BBC paranoia to be correct that report can't have happened.  They should have said something about how this shows what can be done and that the pressure is now on Cameron to act.  They didn't.  The only comments about Cameron were to repeat the British belief that focusing on the refugees already in Europe would create more problems (not challenged) and working with agencies in the camps would be preferable (not challenged).

Still, do go on.  You can make one of your funny comments about Guardian TV now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

As an example, I watched the BBC reporting on the migrants arriving into Germany and the whole piece was not about the welcoming people at the station but the difficulties such numbers would have on infrastructure, how the local and regional governments were worried about resourcing and the national government had not given any details of what would be provided and how people in Merkel's own party were speaking out about it.  Not one positive thing was said about it in the whole five minute piece.

That was yesterday, which suggested a change of tack.  Ever since the little boy's body was washed ashore the BBC has been promoting the German position.  You only need to read back on the BBC website to realise that.

Now, for your bizarre BBC paranoia to be correct that report can't have happened.  They should have said something about how this shows what can be done and that the pressure is now on Cameron to act.  They didn't.  The only comments about Cameron were to repeat the British belief that focusing on the refugees already in Europe would create more problems (not challenged) and working with agencies in the camps would be preferable (not challenged).

Still, do go on.  You can make one of your funny comments about Guardian TV now.

What is it Stevo says? "Deary me today"   You are basing your view on one and one piece only on one programme and one that supports your "We are the BBC, therefore we are never wrong" view.

Still, back on the topic, what is your solution?

What is it Stevo says? "Deary me today"   You are basing your view on one and one piece only on one programme and one that supports your "We are the BBC, therefore we are never wrong" view.

Nope, I was using one recent report as an example to counter your unshakeable belief that the BBC is the mouthpiece of the Labour supporting Guardian metropolitan chattering class.

If every single Eu country took the same number of refugees that Germany wants to take, then within five years, Assad would have the whole country to himself. Problem solved.

If you bring Egypt, Russia, Turkey, the Stans, India, China,  Australia , North and South America into the equation, even better.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34185353

If every single Eu country took the same number of refugees that Germany wants to take, then within five years, Assad would have the whole country to himself. Problem solved.

Are you somehow suggesting Germany's actions are assisting in the ethnic cleansing of Syria - not like the germans to be involved with anything like that ;)

On a serious note though I can't at all understand why Germany has taken such a stance on this, surely they must realise that it will only encourage more & more people to flee the country and make the perilous trip to Germany, potentially killing thousands more in the process ?

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Are you somehow suggesting Germany's actions are assisting in the ethnic cleansing of Syria - not like the germans to be involved with anything like that ;)

On a serious note though I can't at all understand why Germany has taken such a stance on this, surely they must realise that it will only encourage more & more people to flee the country and make the perilous trip to Germany, potentially killing thousands more in the process ?

I posted earlier that I saw a Sky News coverage of this with some older Germans driving the humanitarian response remembering their shame of doing nothing in the late 30s and early 40s when they saw the refugee exodus their country caused.  They stood back and did nothing then, they're not doing it this time and they're taking their nation with them.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

IIRC, hasnt their vice chancellor said that with a declining population, they actually need more people to man thier factories?

in addition, if trains of refugees arrived at St Pancras, I really beleive they would receive exactly the same sort of reception that those arriving in Munich did.

to me, though, that is not the point. the question really is what are we, what is the EU, what is the UN Security Council going to do?

I posted earlier that I saw a Sky News coverage of this with some older Germans driving the humanitarian response remembering their shame of doing nothing in the late 30s and early 40s when they saw the refugee exodus their country caused.  They stood back and did nothing then, they're not doing it this time and they're taking their nation with them.

It's understandable that Germans want to assuage their collective guilt over times past but that doesn't justify the hectoring and threats of 'consequences' from St Merkel and her crew towards the countries which don't have that guilt or indeed don't have a need for high numbers of migrants to fill employment vacancies.

Some woman on sky news that's hot on facebook right now,saying that ISIS said back in February it was going to flood Europe with fighters

Sorry cant do a link

Its certainly a possibility

I would say it's a probability.  In the current hysteria it has been forgotten that ISIS operates a lone wolf strategy.  Tunisia has already disappeared from consciousness as well as the recent murders in France and elsewhere.  Someone needs to point out to the media that while some of the incoming are genuine refugees there will be some who are at best criminals and at worst terrorists.  This is another reason why I think Cameron's policy is the best approach.  At least we have time to check out any adults we may accept rather than be inundated and not have a clue.

Some woman on sky news that's hot on facebook right now,saying that ISIS said back in February it was going to flood Europe with fighters

Sorry cant do a link

Its on Mick Turrell news feed very interesting comments though

https://video-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xpf1/v/t42.1790-2/11994580_10153011940110863_1841069503_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjYzMSwicmxhIjo1MTJ9&rl=631&vabr=351&oh=d4fb50aee198339c881fd4873f5a50c8&oe=55EF5CFD

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Sorry cant do a link

Its on Mick Turrell news feed very interesting comments though

https://video-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xpf1/v/t42.1790-2/11994580_10153011940110863_1841069503_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjYzMSwicmxhIjo1MTJ9&rl=631&vabr=351&oh=d4fb50aee198339c881fd4873f5a50c8&oe=55EF5CFD

Cheers TWIG

Who is she?

There is a big difference between what ISIS says and actually does. Whilst there probably is a few militants embedded with the refugees/migrants, to state it'll be a flood is likely to be a bit of an exaggeration to scare the bejesus out of Europeans and ensure the public doesn't support efforts by their nations to deploy ground forces in Syria and Iraq.

There is a big difference between what ISIS says and actually does. Whilst there probably is a few militants embedded with the refugees/migrants, to state it'll be a flood is likely to be a bit of an exaggeration to scare the bejesus out of Europeans and ensure the public doesn't support efforts by their nations to deploy ground forces in Syria and Iraq.

It only takes a few to do untold damage and death we already have a few nutters who were born and bred here

Its very worrying

It only takes a few to do untold damage and death we already have a few nutters who were born and bred here

Its very worrying

What is just as worrying as their potential presence among the migrants is the way in which nobody appears to be considering it as a possibility anymore. 

There doesn't need to be a flood.  It only takes one person to plant a bomb or shoot people dead while they are going about their daily business. 

What is just as worrying as their potential presence among the migrants is the way in which nobody appears to be considering it as a possibility anymore. 

I think the reason might be no politicians are even mentioning it in public is for the fear of sounding racist or inhumane.

The more you think about it,its an ideal opportunity for the terrorists.

Glad now our Government hasn't open the floodgates

Archived