European Refugee Crisis

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The German government has set the expectation that they'll take 800,000 in one year alone. That's gone down poorly with some but the majority is approving in polls. 90% of German families have given money, clothes or other goods in the last month (or will give when they get paid) for refugee aid in Germany (according to Sky News this morning).

There was a few WW2 German survivors who were saying "never again". One was saying she saw it in Austria in the late 30s with the refugee columns and she did nothing, this time she will.

So, Germany has learned humanity the hard way. Britain hasn't and refuses to learn.

It doesn't surprise me though that those who are happy for our state to be run into the ground to give more to the rich are not as happy to give to those in need.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Still huge and deliberate misrepresentation in the media of what the UK is doing. Of course there is more that can be done and that is starting to happen, but are we SURE the Germany will accept 800,000? If we are going to copy what Germany does, maybe we can copy how they will accommodate 800,000 people. Anyone know?

As well as coping with what seems to be a rapidly increasing number of refugees etc entering "Europe", surely we need to do something that means people do not have to resort to such desperate measures as crossing the Med in waterlogged, dangerous and overcrowded "boats"

Prime-Minister elect Osborne (well, you and I actually) gives £1,000,000,000  Sturgeon gives just £1 million. http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/nicola-sturgeon-pledges-to-help-arriving-refugees-1-3878962

A possible problem: how will accommodating refugees affect those UK residents  already waiting years for social housing?  Is it fair to ask the sick and disabled to give up hope in this way?

UK housing "policy" is already an absolute disgrace and has been  for 50 years or more under govts of all flavours. 

So we have in my view to look again at how we house refugees, those granted asylum etc.

I propose a 1% point levy on all mortgages of private houses. Let those who profit most from the tripling of house prices do the most to support the less fortunate.

Alternatively, levy CGT on the sale of all houses, including the main home. That should raise a few quid to help housing associations buy properties on the open market.

So, Germany has learned humanity the hard way. Britain hasn't and refuses to learn.

I think that is an ignorant statement to make.

Syrians seeking asylum in the UK:

25,771 people applied for asylum in the UK in the year ending June 2015

2,204 were from Syria

87% of Syrian requests for asylum were granted

216 Syrians have been granted protection under a special scheme to relocate vulnerable people

4,980 Syrian asylum seekers and their dependents have been granted asylum since 2011

145 Syrian asylum seekers have been removed from the UK since 2011

Source: Home Office

It is very difficult to accept asylum applications from people who don't actually apply for asylum in the first place.  I'd say an 87% acceptance rate was pretty damn good actually, and this was before the picture of a little dead child washing up on the shores of Turkey was circulated.

On top of that we have been the second biggest financial contributor to the refugee camps in countries neighbouring Syria.  Our contribution is second only to the USA, another country that often comes in for inaccurate criticism when it comes to providing help.

Until 2004 Germany did not accept applications from migrants who did not have German connections.  Meanwhile we were busy doing what we usually do: accepting migrants regardless of their connections.  I would suggest that Germany apparently flinging open its doors to any migrant wanting to claim asylum may be more a reflection of German guilt at its limited response in the past rather than some amazing innate generosity when compared to other states like ourselves.  It's also a useful ploy given that most of the migrants are young men and Germany is having a bit of a recruitment crisis at the moment. 

I would also add that, according to a Sunday Times report I read this morning, a sizeable proportion of the refugees coming to Europe from Syria are from the middle classes.  Allowing them to resettle permenantly within Europe may therefore rob Syria of certain professions when peace finally comes to the country, as opposed to maintaining those professions within well organised, well funded camps (at least one of which has all the activities you would expect of a town: markets, schools, hosptials, employment).

I propose a 1% point levy on all mortgages of private houses. Let those who profit most from the tripling of house prices do the most to support the less fortunate.

Alternatively, levy CGT on the sale of all houses, including the main home. That should raise a few quid to help housing associations buy properties on the open market.

How about we don't offer tax cuts to the wealthy and large corporations and use the money to help the stuation.

In fact how about we don't offer tax cuts while cutting essential services.

How about we don't offer tax cuts to the wealthy and large corporations and use the money to help the stuation.

In fact how about we don't offer tax cuts while cutting essential services.

It would appear that the money is to be diverted from the Aid budget, hopefully from India since they have enough money to run a nuclear weapons system.

UK housing "policy" is already an absolute disgrace and has been for 50 years or more under govts of all flavours.

So we have in my view to look again at how we house refugees, those granted asylum etc.

What about those that have benefited from a ten fold increase in prices but don't have a mortgage. Let's make it truly fair 0.3% on assets to help these people out.

I'd agree about government policy , needs overhauled totally including right to buy.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

Report on the BBC news channel this evening that the Austrian president has said their borders will soon close again as the arrangement to allow migrants to travel from Hungary to Germany was only temporary, to ease the backlog. 

I wonder what will happen when the next backlog arrives?  There has been fighting on Lesbos today between the migrants there and officials, and Greece is asking for help to deal with their migrant crisis, which appears to have been forgotten recently.

if tax on earned income, the results of the labours of horny handed sons of toil and thought, is 20%/40%, then tax on unearned income should maybe be at least the same. the income comes when a property is sold, hence the answer should be CGT on the sale of any property, even your main home Right to buy stays. the transformation of some social houing estates where people have bought their homes has been nothing short of remarkable.

what about those on the current hsuing waiting list who may now face years more on that list. Some of these people may be more deserving of social housing than some refugees.

If we dont do that, where will the 10 to 15 k refugees go?

if we do do that, what about those on the lsit in real need.

Finally, it would be great if the Guardian TV and Guardian Radio coverge actually explained what had alerady been done.

There are many that are for the Refugees and helping them and rightly so to a degree, but there is an ever increasing number here that are angry with Merkel and her inviting the rest of the world to come here . Merkels CDU sister party the CSU in Bayern are not impressed! Horst Seehofer  (Chef of the CSU) has criticized Merkel and has said Merkel must say how she expects Germany, especially Bayern (Where the CSU is the main Party and where the CDU have nobody) to properly look after the refugees especially as the first snow in the Mountains of South Bavaria has fallen today. Merkel as ever sidesteps issues instead of adressing them properly. Its still not clear who exactly is going to pay for the hosting of the refugees or even organize the hosting and looking after them (The Bund (Nation), Bundesländer/States, Towns) as all 3 have debts especially the Towns and Bundesländer. Merkel has not given any answers and keeps saying its a humanitarian action, not a political one. Whilst right now most of the Population are happy to help Refugees how long will they keep on doing so and especially if Germans are then forced to pay for it through Taxes and cuts in Pension Rates or Cuts in social services. But is it Humane to invite people to come and face a very dangerous journey that has seen thousands killed to get here?

Germany is struggling to find enough places for Kindergarten and Schools for Native kids. Teachers are overworked and this year people who work in the Kita(Kindergarten) and in Schools have striked over payment and the state of things. We have had the Government earlier this year say that retirement age is being increased to 70. The Police, Hospitals, Dentists etc are at breaking point. But Merkel expects them to help integrate the Refugees in to local society. A call has gone out for retired people who were Teachers, Police, Doctors etc to volunteer to help! I think that Merkel is playing very much a game of risk here as the humanitarian action is pushing an already overstretched system to beyond its limits. Merkel still has not answered why German Companies are still being allowed to sell weapons to Syria, Lybia etc. Merkel has still not answered how many people will she allow in to Germany before saying no more. Merkel has still not answered why the money and resources she intends to pay for the 800,000-1 million refugees expected to come t Germany cant be invested in helping Turkey, Jordan etc host the Refugees. Merkel has still not answered why she has not put more pressure on the Arab Staes to take Refugees. Merkel is also failing to answer why she is encouraging people to make dangerous trips to Europe. If this continues the German population could slowly turn against her.

the majority of people don't post to forums, let alone rugby league ones.if it went to a vote would we support these measures? from talking to people at work it neither bothers or concerns them how many die/or live as long as their  is no effect on uk job securty:

We should have and should stay out of other countries business. 

How many of these people are migrants? how many are rfugees? how many are isis? we should be very very careful before we welcome so many people who we do not know there backgrounds.

What is good what is bad?? is there some objective measure?

How many of these people are migrants? how many are rfugees? how many are isis? we should be very very careful before we welcome so many people who we do not know there backgrounds.

Well we will find out over the next few years and so on

I'd be amazed if they were all squeaky clean

We've already got Born and Bred Brits willing to help the ISIS cause

I see that the full story is starting to emerge about the family of the tragic little lad who was found on the beach. His family actually fled Syria last year and have been in Turkey since then. He lost his life while the family were trying to cross from Turkey to the EU, which is a little different to how the story was originally portrayed.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

I see that the full story is starting to emerge about the family of the tragic little lad who was found on the beach. His family actually fled Syria last year and have been in Turkey since then. He lost his life while the family were trying to cross from Turkey to the EU, which is a little different to how the story was originally portrayed.

Yep.  Dad has apparently gone back to Syria now.  The fateful trip was funded by Dad's sister in Canada.

Looks like things are getting out of hand: http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/sep/07/refugee-crisis-pushes-un-agencies-towards-bankcruptcy-live-updates#block-55ed5b38e4b0edba32b60d40

(scroll down)

Maybe Germany should fly some of the thousands of refugees stuck on Lesbos into Munich? 

Also interesting to note that now the first flush of emotion has receeded in the media, there is reference being made to ulterior motives for Germany's apparent 'generosity' when it comes to taking in so many refugees: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34172729

Also interesting to note that now the first flush of emotion has receeded in the media, there is reference being made to ulterior motives for Germany's apparent 'generosity' when it comes to taking in so many refugees: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34172729

'So to put it another way, it is arguably particularly useful to Germany to have an influx of young grateful families from Syria or elsewhere, who may well be keen to toil and strive to rebuild their lives and prove to their hosts that they are not a burden - in the way that successive immigrant waves have done all over the world (including Jews like my family in London's East End).'

Hmmm, best of luck with that one.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

The lefties at the Guardian covered that angle a few days ago.

Turns out migrants can have economic benefits.  Who knew?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Of course they can but whereas we don't need those benefits from these migrants, Germany does, which is the point of the article and an 'unspoken' reason behind St Merkel's apparent generosity.

I don't believe such nonsense. That would mean these nations had educated people, when clearly that couldn't be the case.

Focusing on vulnerable children and orphans. Who we will then deport when they hit 18. Bravo.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived