4 Sept: Super 8s - Leeds Rhinos v St Helens KO 8pm (TV)

That's some going to lose every game that mattered and still end up with two trophies.

I know....lost against Huddersfield and Warrington ( removal of trophy) but cas couldnt deliver...played 12 men in final and still struggled loosing at half time and just about scrapped it past 12 men!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leeds set up is pretty strange with sinfield at dummy half and McGuire as the sole half back , and lots of forwards linking in

Thought that to, is it any coincidence that in the tight games Sinny is not as influential as a player of his standing and reputation has on the outcome of games, when his team are on top he shines, when they are being matched and put on the back foot he is not the goto player to look to.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Not really, maybe top 4 jostling for position. Cas are now out of it in all reality. Bit of let down really considering the every minute matters slogan! Sure we all wanted a bit of drama in the closing weeks which will be minimal, shame really.

nope, Cas play Saints next week. If they win the gap is 2 points with 2 games left.

Jostling for position is important in that top 4 as it could be the difference between a home semi or an away semi.

If the results still affect positions of teams who can win the comp, they cannot be described as dead rubbers, no matter how RL fans try and talk down games.

Not really, maybe top 4 jostling for position. Cas are now out of it in all reality. Bit of let down really considering the every minute matters slogan! Sure we all wanted a bit of drama in the closing weeks which will be minimal, shame really.

That's down to the teams not the format. It is up to them to compete.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

What a difference having Jon Wilkin on the field has made to my team. We have missed him more than most of us care to admit. We actually looked almost cohesive tonight, with just a few brainfarts still to iron out.

I'm happy. I'll take the win with open arms after the last four weeks.

I very much agree. He brings leadership, shape and direction to the team that they have lacked when he wasn't there. In a way he's also the last link with the Saints team of old (along with Roby)now Wellens has retired.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

nope, Cas play Saints next week. If they win the gap is 2 points with 2 games left.

Jostling for position is important in that top 4 as it could be the difference between a home semi or an away semi.

If the results still affect positions of teams who can win the comp, they cannot be described as dead rubbers, no matter how RL fans try and talk down games.

As I said therotically possible but the points difference of the respective teams means cas would have to beat Saints, Wigan and Leeds whilst saints would have to lose all their remaining games. Vanishingly unlikely.

The 'fingertip' try can't be given by a ref unless the video ref is there.. it happens far too quick. So we have a rule that can only be truly enforced with the presence of the video ref.

Have to admit im watching this game on a live stream online.. so pics wont be as clear.. ball didn't look on the line from what i saw of Achurch's try, but i'll take everyones word that it was.

That is rubbish, the ref on field can still give the try (or disallow it), the video ref just makes the chances of the wrong decision less* likely. 

*Video ref bashers note the word less.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

That is rubbish, the ref on field can still give the try (or disallow it), the video ref just makes the chances of the wrong decision less* likely. 

*Video ref bashers note the word less.

IIRC you only have to have downward pressure on the ball, with even a finger tip for it to count as a try. On the other hand, in order to make the ball dead, you must have it under control.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

If the ball leaves your hand you need to regain control of it. If the ball never leaves your hand you just need constant contact.

The refs have got all the decisions right on that one.

Good performance by saints. Leeds looked leggy and struggled without hardaker and Watkins.

Saints played finals football and it was a well timed reminder to Leeds

It seems like saints can only perform when written off and under no pressure...

they were the same last year and lost every big game that mattered....ultimately got lucky to end up with 2 trophies!

Completely untrue.

Saints had the best record last year in Super League in head to head games against the top 4 and top 6. We then conceded 3 tries in 3 play off games despite having no playmakers.

Not a fluke!

Saints played a very good game. Their forwards were very dominant in spells and Burns and Walsh produced some decent movement around the field.

Leeds might well have been a bit flat & missing three, but there were some great signs for Saints finding a bit of form for the play offs.  Wilkin clearly has a great deal of influence. Everyone seemed to run and tackle harder around a smart game plan.

Hope Saints can pinch 3rd spot, what a derby that would be!!  Whoever wins that will win the GF.

Saints played a very good game. Their forwards were very dominant in spells and Burns and Walsh produced some decent movement around the field.

Leeds might well have been a bit flat & missing three, but there were some great signs for Saints finding a bit of form for the play offs.  Wilkin clearly has a great deal of influence. Everyone seemed to run and tackle harder around a smart game plan.

Hope Saints can pinch 3rd spot, what a derby that would be!!  Whoever wins that will win the GF.

I think Wilkin's presence takes a bit of weight of the halfbacks' shoulders, which means they can do their thing more effectively. It certainly makes things interesting in the final part of the season.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived