Paul Sykes

haskey

Just reading League Express, and I see that Dewsbury are "sniffing" around Paul for next season. What with Sharp gone, Moore being touted for Haifax. Have we no players contracted for next season.? I actually thought Sykes had signed for 2016. If so we need a fee ??

Just reading League Express, and I see that Dewsbury are "sniffing" around Paul for next season. What with Sharp gone, Moore being touted for Haifax. Have we no players contracted for next season.? I actually thought Sykes had signed for 2016. If so we need a fee ??

This one as been banded about for a while now

Im Fev and im proud

Sykes can go for me, it may sound harsh but for me he's a poster child for the money we've wasted this year on players who've failed to live up to our (not unreasonable) expectations and/or make the on-field difference we thought they would. I'd rather spend some of the money we save on a promising young brick sh*thouse of a centre hungry to prove himself.

I think he did ok at centre and showed genuine quality at times.  Maybe we've just used him as a scapegoat for our failure due to his largely unsuccessful stint at stand-off and the poor decision to pick him as joint captain - I just don't think that suited him.  Having said that,  our failure this year was overwhelmingly due to our defence not the fact that we were clueless in attack which is how we sometimes perceive this season. 

Many ex SL players have dropped down to the Championship and generally they don't seem to do as well as expected probably because they've lost that vital half yard of pace.  Just stating the obvious but we could really do with finding a Ryan Brierley  

I think he did ok at centre and showed genuine quality at times. Maybe we've just used him as a scapegoat for our failure due to his largely unsuccessful stint at stand-off and the poor decision to pick him as joint captain - I just don't think that suited him. Having said that, our failure this year was overwhelmingly due to our defence not the fact that we were clueless in attack which is how we sometimes perceive this season.

Many ex SL players have dropped down to the Championship and generally they don't seem to do as well as expected probably because they've lost that vital half yard of pace. Just stating the obvious but we could really do with finding a Ryan Brierley

Gareth O'Brien?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

When a team aren't performing its always the so called experienced players that take the wrath. Fev have been fielding some very inexperienced players of late who despite their lack of first team experience have given their all. But unfortunately if we don't succeed in some games players like Sykes will take the butt of all the criticism. They can't perform miracles every week and for me I think Sykes has done alright.

When a team aren't performing its always the so called experienced players that take the wrath. Fev have been fielding some very inexperienced players of late who despite their lack of first team experience have given their all. But unfortunately if we don't succeed in some games players like Sykes will take the butt of all the criticism. They can't perform miracles every week and for me I think Sykes has done alright.

I think he did ok at centre and showed genuine quality at times.  Maybe we've just used him as a scapegoat for our failure due to his largely unsuccessful stint at stand-off and the poor decision to pick him as joint captain - I just don't think that suited him.  Having said that,  our failure this year was overwhelmingly due to our defence not the fact that we were clueless in attack which is how we sometimes perceive this season. 

Many ex SL players have dropped down to the Championship and generally they don't seem to do as well as expected probably because they've lost that vital half yard of pace.  Just stating the obvious but we could really do with finding a Ryan Brierley  

No scapegoating about it - he's one of a number of players that need to have a long look at themselves in the close season. Presumably we signed him to add SL standard experience, organisation, and game management, and to lead and settle down the players around him (which should in theory have had a positive effect on our defensive shape), which is no doubt why we made him joint (backs) captain. Sadly it just doesn't seem to have happened. He's rarely looked like the kind of 'make a difference' player we really hoped he would, and at times it's even looked like his heart just isn't in it, even with his goal kicking.

Sykes bombed 2 clear cut chances against Dewsbury and as an experienced player, all he had to do was hand the ball on to the winger, who would have walked in at the corner. He has had some good games and I would never suggest that he is not trying, or going through the motions....but for someone with that level of experience, I would hope his decision making would be much better.

Sykes bombed 2 clear cut chances against Dewsbury and as an experienced player, all he had to do was hand the ball on to the winger, who would have walked in at the corner. He has had some good games and I would never suggest that he is not trying, or going through the motions....but for someone with that level of experience, I would hope his decision making would be much better.

He wasn't the only experienced player that should have passed to the winger in that game. Two others were guilty of that. Unfortunately at times players back themselves and when it comes off it is fantastic and when it doesn't they are criticised for it. Who is to say the winger would have caught the ball? It's all ifs and buts and I don't think any player goes out intentionally to spoil a certain move.The players have gone through a traumatic period at Fev recently and things will get better. They always do.

I take your point Phil, but one of the very first things that you learn as a rugby player at any level is to pass to the man in a better position than you....and of course the winger could have dropped it, but that should never stop experienced players making the right (and to be fair simple) decisions to give the ball to the winger to go in untouched at the corner.

...perhaps it is the so called senior players not trusting the young lads outside them? Either way, you can't really excuse it and I would have the same issue with any of the younger lads not giving the pass in the same way. It is very very basic stuff that you would expect any player to do. I don't like criticising individual players and as you say, there were more lads guilty of similar decision making errors.

....in fairness, it might be the experiences players trying to do too much and take it upon themselves to win the game or score, rather then risking passing to the inexperienced players.....so it might be for the right reasons, but which ever way you dress it up; it is still fundamental errors made by experienced players.

People need to remember that when a player is released from a S/L club and no other club comes in for him then he is not as good as he was I think Sykes has done ok in the centre for us this year and has been no worse that alot of the team have been When he goes let's hope we have got some centres lined up

Many SL players drop down to Championship level believing that the game is

somehow going to be easier on their bodies. This is far from the truth and having spoken to one or two of them they admit that apart from the full time training,

nothing comes easy. Although a tad slower, our game is still as bone crunching.

Many SL players drop down to Championship level believing that the game issomehow going to be easier on their bodies. This is far from the truth and having spoken to one or two of them they admit that apart from the full time training,nothing comes easy. Although a tad slower, our game is still as bone crunching.

Exactly. How many forwards have dropped down to the championship and excelled ? Maybe the only ex SL players we can realistically afford to sign that can make a key difference to our team are the more creative players - such as a Paul Cooke (2 years ago)

Archived