I'd be shocked silly if the other manufacturers weren't doing this.  Also, those going on about it being the death of diesel may get a shock when they run the same tests on petrol engines.  VW were "unlucky" that they were caught as it could have been any one of the manufacturers.

What it may be though is another nail into the coffin of bigger engines, except for those who can afford to pay the punitive taxes.  I think some of the big US brands especially will be writing off any EU ventures.

I'd also like to see what proper testing done on HGVs would show.

I wonder if there'll be retrospective taxation on this.  I do know that the lawyers will be putting down their deposits on flashy cars based on the years of lawsuits to come.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

i understood it was a particular and highly popular two litre diesel that was involved, not every diesel engine from VW. Other car manufacturers will be working frantically to discover if they are similarly affected. i wonder to what extent the base engine managemnt programms share a common core, and to what extent these things are bought in.

In the wider context of pollution in general, it may be that the somewhat different duty cycle of HGV engines makes pollution more controllable.

then there are buses, tractors, ships.....and home heating systems....

As an owner of an Audi that's probably affected I'm pretty upset about this. (2 ltr A6). The emissions were a big thing to me when I bought the vehicle, and I'm pretty sure the value of my vehicle has just plummeted, I've over paid the loan so I'm hoping I won't now be in negative equity.

Whilst I've never tried to get money back on anything legal previously (with regards to PPI I've always considered that I should have read the small print) if it comes to light owners can claim I will in this instance. If it was just CO2 emissions I wouldn't be as bothered but NOX, I am.

Time to start saving for a tesla (I wish)

VW will certainly not be the first to fib about emissions from Diesel.

diesel-00cg39-0lafh--03-face.jpg

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

It'll spawn a whole new claims industry - have you been missold TDI ?

Golf%20Smoke.JPG

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

for more ifo, see Honest John here:

there is a link at the foot of the page to the latest questions and answers http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/volkswagen-emissions-scandal

there is a link at the foot of the page to the latest questions and answers [url=http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/volkswagen-emissions-scandal]http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/volkswagen-emissions-scandal

1. VW will get away with it and the UK civil service will take out revenge on the man in the street.

In the papers today, they are talking about UK VW owners having to pay more tax because the cars are more polluting than they were advised when they bought them.

2. Part of the problem is that the civil servants set emission targets and timescales that cannot be met. In the UK in the 1990's, very few municipal incinerators met standards of emission  standards whose concentrations were below the limit that could be detected ten years previously.

Obviously, those limits were not applied:

- to crematoria or there'd be a burial crisis

- to power stations or there'd be an electricity crisis.

The only organisations penalised were the ones that had invested in high-tech efficient waste management systems..

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I wonder how much of this is down to US car manufacturers trying to keep importers out?

I find it hard to believe that a country so addicted to muscle cars and gas guzzlers can produce cars that meet the strictest emission standards.

Will people now start suing manufacturers because they don't manage the claimed MPG figures?

In real world driving, cars never achieve test claimed figures for any facet of performance/emissions.

Are these VW cars actually breaching emission levels or is it simply a massaging of performance figures to reduce cost to consumer on emission bandings?

Take a look at how the move to diesel has occurred in the last 20 years, and what the driver has been.  look at how the price of diesel has risen from it's days of being a dirty fuel only used in heavy haulage/commercial vehicles.

Much ado about nothing and the fuss will soon die down.

Might be interesting to note that General Motors dropped production of it's Vauxhall/Opel Ampera electric vehicle for the European market and there's nothing coming to replace it.

I wonder how much of this is down to US car manufacturers trying to keep importers out?

I find it hard to believe that a country so addicted to muscle cars and gas guzzlers can produce cars that meet the strictest emission standards.

Will people now start suing manufacturers because they don't manage the claimed MPG figures?

In real world driving, cars never achieve test claimed figures for any facet of performance/emissions.

Are these VW cars actually breaching emission levels or is it simply a massaging of performance figures to reduce cost to consumer on emission bandings?

Take a look at how the move to diesel has occurred in the last 20 years, and what the driver has been. look at how the price of diesel has risen from it's days of being a dirty fuel only used in heavy haulage/commercial vehicles.

Much ado about nothing and the fuss will soon die down.

Might be interesting to note that General Motors dropped production of it's Vauxhall/Opel Ampera electric vehicle for the European market and there's nothing coming to replace it.

I've seen it suggested that the reason that the US emissions tests for diesel cars are much stricter is because the US car industry hardly produce any diesel cars and the emissions legislation is therfore in fact just a trade barrier to protect the US car producers.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I've seen it suggested that the reason that the US emissions tests for diesel cars are much stricter is because the US car industry hardly produce any diesel cars and the emissions legislation is therfore in fact just a trade barrier to protect the US car producers.

The motivation for the legislation is irrelevant.  US authorities don't like being lied to.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I wonder how a 700-horsepower 6.2 litre Dodge Hellcat engine can get a pass mark, while a 2 litre diesel can't.

BBC reporting that just under 1.2 million UK vehicles from VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda are affected.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This whole saga is going to put a big dent in Germany's manufacturing sector, probably running into 10's of billions, and seriously damage their reputation & image.

VW has gone from Mr Safe, solid & reliable to Arthur Daley car sales in 1 fail swoop - bit like going from Cartier to Ratners :D .

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Archived