4 Oct: Kingstone Press Championship Shield Final - Featherstone Rovers v London Broncos KO 4.30pm

Who will win?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Featherstone Rovers by 13 points or more
    • Featherstone Rovers by 7 to 12 points
    • Featherstone Rovers by 1 to 6 points
    • London Broncos by 1 to 6 points
    • London Broncos by 7 to 12 points
    • London Broncos by 13 points or more

Two sides undoubtedly disappointed to find themselves out of the Qualifiers and in a consolation plate instead.

But I think this'll be a cracking match.

Fev have started their post-season clear out early and have been using up to eight of the Under 21s squad throughout the Championship 8s.

The Broncos have been kicked from pillar to post, are on the move again, but Hendo has more or less kept the team together.

Could go either way. I dont see this as a high scoring game, 8 to 10 points difference either way.

While I can see a lot of the neutrals will want to see a London win, I think as a Fev fan it's important that we get a win on Sunday. A lot of the lads who will play on Sunday are young lads who were playing second team rugby a few weeks ago but now a lot of the "superstars" have left they have got some first team rugby under their belt and for many will be their first final. So I hope we go out win but most of all I hope it's a good game played in the right spirit. UTR.

While I can see a lot of the neutrals will want to see a London win, I think as a Fev fan it's important that we get a win on Sunday. A lot of the lads who will play on Sunday are young lads who were playing second team rugby a few weeks ago but now a lot of the "superstars" have left they have got some first team rugby under their belt and for many will be their first final. So I hope we go out win but most of all I hope it's a good game played in the right spirit. UTR.

To be fair we are in the same boat in terms of youngsters - Davis, Walker, Sid, Everett, Keyes, Pointer, Gray, Wallace u20, the remainder bar Thackray and Henderson early/mid 20s

We have done it tough this year losing significant and experienced players - Mathers, Slyney, Farrar, Naiquama, Thackray, Harrison - for large parts or all of the season, (not counting those wasters Foran, Cordoba and L Adamson who walked out/left at start of season), so missing squad numbers 1 3 6 8 10 13, that's a big impact. So the young blokes had to step up. Hopefully this will serve them well for 2016.

It's easy to dismiss this final as irrelevant (as it's by definition contested by teams that failed to reach the top 4) but try telling the players that, especially the younger ones who have stepped up for both teams. The Plate competition was always likely to be the weakest link of the 3 x 8 divisions, but the final has given teams something to aim at and this should be a good game, and hard to call.

Fev are very much at the start of a major rebuilding period, seemingly a back-to-basics type of approach going on, with most of the higher-profile players no longer playing for the club for one reason or another; there's a definite lack of star quality in the squad overall at the moment and we have looked a fairly ordinary team in truth lately, but there have been a lot of young players from the reserves integrated into the team during the Plate competiton and hopefully this will stand the club in good stead when the revised squad comes together next season. I'm sure the same applies to London, who had a couple of horrific-looking hammerings against clubs near the foot of the table in August but seem to have made big strides since. It's good to read on the London forum that their supporters are organising a coach up, a bit of atmosphere would definitely add to the occasion and there will be quite a few coaches heading to Widnes from Fev.

To be fair we are in the same boat in terms of youngsters - Davis, Walker, Sid, Everett, Keyes, Pointer, Gray, Wallace u20, the remainder bar Thackray and Henderson early/mid 20s

We have done it tough this year losing significant and experienced players - Mathers, Slyney, Farrar, Naiquama, Thackray, Harrison - for large parts or all of the season, (not counting those wasters Foran, Cordoba and L Adamson who walked out/left at start of season), so missing squad numbers 1 3 6 8 10 13, that's a big impact. So the young blokes had to step up. Hopefully this will serve them well for 2016.

To be honest it's been the best thing about this comp the fact young players are getting a chance.

Reading earlier posts, I see that Broncos have a load of youngsters in too. It will be a great day for all of them from both sides and youngsters could hold the key. Some might play out of their skins and some might freeze. It worked for Fev in '83 with 17 year olds in Banks & Lyman, and Slatter not much older. A couple of months earlier a Wembley appearance was only in their wildest dreams but they stepped up to the plate and didn't let anyone down. I think it will be the same for Fev tomorrow and the occasion will spur them on, so come on Coventry, Cooper, Ormondroyd, Milner, Johnson, Foster, and anyone else who has to step in at the last minute. Not forgetting Jordan Baldwinson too, although he has been a first choice all season. 

One of the many funny things about new format is there is no Championship grand final at all so this game is the only final involving all championship sides. Really this super 8 concept needs to be tweaked with each competition having its own grand final before any promotion relegation series and that series should only involve 2 grand finalists & 2 lowest super league sides theres no need to put extra 2 super league teams in relegation danger and 3 & 4th championship sides dont deserve a shot at super league.

That said for what it is I hope London win they have had it tough with bias against them from some one eyed northerners next to know support from powers that be to establish them in a very tough market & have had recent administration & ownership thats at times is its own worst enemy but despite all that many talented players have come through there system to have current careers at other super league sides creating a talent stream for the game that otherwise wouldnt have existed.

Whoever wins theres extra cash up for grabs, some silverware and a bit of a boost in status to help with future development

If the London side is the same as last week and they play as they did then, I would tip them for a win. However, with both sides having a fair few youngsters then confidence will play its part, right through the game.

It has all of the makings of a great match, let's hope that it is!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I'm hoping for a London win, but think Fev will win today.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Is this not on tv??

No.

First try to Matt James for Rovers.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Radio commentary available online, via Radio Yorkshire or BBC Leeds.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived