Compassionate Conservatism

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Utter tosh.

The recession exacerbated the deficit but there was no prudence in saving in the good times, instead he sold off the gold reserves at one of the lowest price levels to feed his spending frenzy. And what has it created? Benefit junkies and an unsustainable welfare state. Completely incompetent and now we're dealing with the consequences, although I'm not convinced we're dealing with them particularly successfully, given the deficit is still £70 billion each year and spending is still rising.

How are the least well off paying for the deficit? The Tories have turned around an economy which has created hundreds of thousands of jobs, introduced the National Living Wage and compulsory pension enrolment. The problem is with today's society is that people expect everything for nothing, too many people are happy sucking off the state ###### and not contributing

The money was spent repairing the mess that Thatcher and her successors had made or NHS education and the infrastructure.  Had the recession not happened there wouldn't have been a problem. Had Thatcher not happened there wouldn't have been a recession. Never forget that Cameron and Osborne were happy to go along with Labour's spending plans until the recession hit. Never forget that they were calling for less not more regulation on the bankers before the recession hit.  And what have they done to restrain those who caused the mess from causing another mess since they came to power? Nothing.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

The money was spent repairing the mess that Thatcher and her successors had made or NHS education and the infrastructure. Had the recession not happened there wouldn't have been a problem. Had Thatcher not happened there wouldn't have been a recession. Never forget that Cameron and Osborne were happy to go along with Labour's spending plans until the recession hit. Never forget that they were calling for less not more regulation on the bankers before the recession hit. And what have they done to restrain those who caused the mess from causing another mess since they came to power? Nothing.

You're clearly brainwashed. Every time a labour government comes to power there's a recession, it's no coincidence. And their solution, spend more money we don't have. Of course they'd be a problem if there wasn't a recession, they've created an economy where for many you're better off on benefits than in work.

And the current government have always been for reducing the massive waste in the bloated public sector and the enormous welfare state that Brown created so not sure where you draw that link from.

And it's over 25 years since Thatcher so I find it amusing that you're blaming her on the recession. No doubt she's also to blame for the recent floods and the Syria crisis

And it's over 25 years since Thatcher so I find it amusing that you're blaming her on the recession. No doubt she's also to blame for the recent floods and the Syria crisis

Thatcher is to blame for everything, didn't you know?  She continues to emit powerful forces over the known world even from her grave.  Incredible really.

Thatcher is to blame for everything, didn't you know? She continues to emit powerful forces over the known world even from her grave. Incredible really.

how tedious

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

He has apologised.  Corbyn and McDonnell haven't. 

He's apologised because he's been caught and needs to save his political career.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

You're clearly brainwashed. Every time a labour government comes to power there's a recession, it's no coincidence. And their solution, spend more money we don't have. Of course they'd be a problem if there wasn't a recession, they've created an economy where for many you're better off on benefits than in work.

And the current government have always been for reducing the massive waste in the bloated public sector and the enormous welfare state that Brown created so not sure where you draw that link from.

And there wasn't a recession in 1981?  Or in 1989?   Labour came to power in 1974 with spiralling inflation in the system caused by Anthony Barber's ruinous tenure at no 11 and oil prices that were out of control, and they dealt with it.  When Labour left power in 1979, inflation stood at 8%.  When Thatcher left power in 1990, after all misery caused by unemployment and the miners' strike, and the punitive Trades Union Laws, inflation stood at erm 8%.  When Labour came to power in 1964 there was a huge balance of payment crisis and the pound was vastly over valued.  When Labour came to power in 1945 the country was bankrupt from a war we nearly lost (thanks to Tory rule).  On every occasion Labour ministers rose to the challenge and cleared up the mess made by their predecessors.  Had Labour continued to rule in 2010I have absolutely no doubt that their policies would have mitigated the recession.  Osborne's policies exacerbated the problem.  When the Tories came to power in 2010 we had 2% growth in the economy.  We've just got back to where we started in 2010.  And things are getting worse not better. 

As for Thatcher, it was she and Lawson who decided to let capitalism rip with no restraints.  Labour to what should be their shame continued with these policies.  And the result was the deepest recession in my memory.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Thatcher is to blame for everything, didn't you know?  She continues to emit powerful forces over the known world even from her grave.  Incredible really.

You've finally got something right!

Clement Attlee.

And there wasn't a recession in 1981? Or in 1989? Labour came to power in 1974 with spiralling inflation in the system caused by Anthony Barber's ruinous tenure at no 11 and oil prices that were out of control, and they dealt with it. When Labour left power in 1979, inflation stood at 8%. When Thatcher left power in 1990, after all misery caused by unemployment and the miners' strike, and the punitive Trades Union Laws, inflation stood at erm 8%. When Labour came to power in 1964 there was a huge balance of payment crisis and the pound was vastly over valued. When Labour came to power in 1945 the country was bankrupt from a war we nearly lost (thanks to Tory rule). On every occasion Labour ministers rose to the challenge and cleared up the mess made by their predecessors. Had Labour continued to rule in 2010I have absolutely no doubt that their policies would have mitigated the recession. Osborne's policies exacerbated the problem. When the Tories came to power in 2010 we had 2% growth in the economy. We've just got back to where we started in 2010. And things are getting worse not better.

As for Thatcher, it was she and Lawson who decided to let capitalism rip with no restraints. Labour to what should be their shame continued with these policies. And the result was the deepest recession in my memory.

It's incredible the lengths you'll go to, to find the most tenuous links to support your mantra.

Labour had magic powers so it could deal with the 1970s oil price crisis. We nearly lost WW2 due to Tory rule? Wow that's a new one...........And things are getting worse not better at present? I think you're somewhat deluded but I suppose if you're a partisan that comes with the territory.

No doubt you're a staunch supporter of trade unions as well, being so anti-Thatcher. I would love to know another strong and successful developed country with a powerful dominant trade union representation? They're in decline for good reason because they're so out of touch with reality and their undermining policies hinder job growth, even most of labour acknowledge that!

I would love to know another strong and successful developed country with a powerful dominant trade union representation? They're in decline for good reason because they're so out of touch with reality and their undermining policies hinder job growth, even most of labour acknowledge that!

Germany. HTH.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

It's incredible the lengths you'll go to, to find the most tenuous links to support your mantra.

Labour had magic powers so it could deal with the 1970s oil price crisis. We nearly lost WW2 due to Tory rule? Wow that's a new one...........And things are getting worse not better at present? I think you're somewhat deluded but I suppose if you're a partisan that comes with the territory.

No doubt you're a staunch supporter of trade unions as well, being so anti-Thatcher. I would love to know another strong and successful developed country with a powerful dominant trade union representation? They're in decline for good reason because they're so out of touch with reality and their undermining policies hinder job growth, even most of labour acknowledge that!

Who was in charge in the thirties? The Tories/ Who failed to rearm? The Tories.  Who was so arrogant he thought he could twist Hitler around his little finger?  Neville Chamberlain the Tory Prime Minister.  After the loss of Norway, the Low Countries and France, who wanted a deal with Hitler?  Halifax and Chamberlain.  At the meeting n 10 Downing Street to decide who would take over as PM who swayed the vote in favour of Churchill?  Attlee and Greenwood.

As for the Trades Union, nearly every country in the world has stronger Unions than we do and less punitive Trades Union laws.  They don't need them because management in their countries regards the workers as partners not enemies and they are prepared to invest n new plant and machinery instead of pocketing the profits and investing it in some speculative hedge fund.

That's what's wrong with our country short sighted greedy managers. who only think short term. Read Will Huttons "The State We're In" and find out the truth. 

Clement Attlee.

Who was in charge in the thirties? The Tories/ Who failed to rearm? The Tories.  Who was so arrogant he thought he could twist Hitler around his little finger?  Neville Chamberlain the Tory Prime Minister.  After the loss of Norway, the Low Countries and France, who wanted a deal with Hitler?  Halifax and Chamberlain.  At the meeting n 10 Downing Street to decide who would take over as PM who swayed the vote in favour of Churchill?  Attlee and Greenwood.

As for the Trades Union, nearly every country in the world has stronger Unions than we do and less punitive Trades Union laws.  They don't need them because management in their countries regards the workers as partners not enemies and they are prepared to invest n new plant and machinery instead of pocketing the profits and investing it in some speculative hedge fund.

That's what's wrong with our country short sighted greedy managers. who only think short term. Read Will Huttons "The State We're In" and find out the truth.

So, management are to blame then ? Well, I've just been doing some work for a huge Norwegian company who were having a £75m structure built in this country. At the end of the project I asked them if they would consider using UK contractors again. They gave a resounding no. The reason ? You won't like it but they said that British workers were very well skilled but far too expensive for the productivity levels they achieve. Their overriding opinion was that in the main your average British tradesman is lazy, wants as much as possible for as little as possible and is not flexible in their approach. They said if a worker in Germany, Holland or the Far East encounters a problem they will apply themselves and take a "how can I make this fit/work" approach and get the job done. In the UK they believe British workers take the opposite view of "this doesn't fit, but it's not my job to solve it" and have a generally negative attitude. Unfortunately that's how a lot of the rest of the world sees industrial Britain these days.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Germany. HTH.

Beat me to it drat.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

So, management are to blame then ? Well, I've just been doing some work for a huge Norwegian company who were having a £75m structure built in this country. At the end of the project I asked them if they would consider using UK contractors again. They gave a resounding no. The reason ? You won't like it but they said that British workers were very well skilled but far too expensive for the productivity levels they achieve. Their overriding opinion was that in the main your average British tradesman is lazy, wants as much as possible for as little as possible and is not flexible in their approach. They said if a worker in Germany, Holland or the Far East encounters a problem they will apply themselves and take a "how can I make this fit/work" approach and get the job done. In the UK they believe British workers take the opposite view of "this doesn't fit, but it's not my job to solve it" and have a generally negative attitude. Unfortunately that's how a lot of the rest of the world sees industrial Britain these days.

That stems from the blame culture of British management though.

Surely that sort of attitude is the failure of management to introduce better incentives and motivations in order to change the industrial culture of their businesses.  But that has never been the British way.  Treat the workers like s h I t and get rid when you don't need them any more.  Sign them up on zero hours contracts. Don't pay them a living wage.  As the old saying goes, pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Clement Attlee.

Surely that sort of attitude is the failure of management to introduce better incentives and motivations in order to change the industrial culture of their businesses.  But that has never been the British way.  Treat the workers like s h I t and get rid when you don't need them any more.  Sign them up on zero hours contracts. Don't pay them a living wage.  As the old saying goes, pay peanuts, get monkeys.

The company involved was paying skilled tradesmen £22 an hour basic, time and a half for weekday overtime and double time for weekends. They were working 37 hours a week and had 2 x 15 minute tea breaks and a 45 minute lunch break. They had flexible holidays where they could take holidays in blocks of hours rather than days. They were paid if they had medical appointments to attend. They had a heavily subsidised canteen where a substantial hot meal cost no more than £2. They were allowed 15 minutes walking time at the start and end of the day. They were provided with free private health insurance, free life insurance and a non-contributory pension scheme. There was a professionally staffed medical and occupational health centre on site, a small gym, and things like modern showers and free hot and cold vended drinks. Hardly what you would call onerous working conditions.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

The company involved was paying skilled tradesmen £22 an hour basic, time and a half for weekday overtime and double time for weekends. They were working 37 hours a week and had 2 x 15 minute tea breaks and a 45 minute lunch break. They had flexible holidays where they could take holidays in blocks of hours rather than days. They were paid if they had medical appointments to attend. They had a heavily subsidised canteen where a substantial hot meal cost no more than £2. They were allowed 15 minutes walking time at the start and end of the day. They were provided with free private health insurance, free life insurance and a non-contributory pension scheme. There was a professionally staffed medical and occupational health centre on site, a small gym, and things like modern showers and free hot and cold vended drinks. Hardly what you would call onerous working conditions.

I bet there was no sauna in the gym though, that's the problem

On the other hand, Letwin made a ridiculous assertion 30 years ago and clearly feels embarrassed by it and has apologised for it.

He's actually rather fortunate that it took 30 years to come out.

I can't help but feel he's embarrased to be reading about it in the papers rather than having said it in the first place, but to know for sure we'd need to know what he's been briefing PMs on in the last 30 years!

For mine they are inexcusable comments and if he's come even close to similar opinions during his time in office with the coalition or in the current government then he should be out on his ear, to find out in 30 years time is to late, perhaps he should publish any advice he made to the PM/Cabinet in relation to the 2011 riots so we can get some context.

Who was in charge in the thirties? The Tories/ Who failed to rearm? The Tories. Who was so arrogant he thought he could twist Hitler around his little finger? Neville Chamberlain the Tory Prime Minister. After the loss of Norway, the Low Countries and France, who wanted a deal with Hitler? Halifax and Chamberlain. At the meeting n 10 Downing Street to decide who would take over as PM who swayed the vote in favour of Churchill? Attlee and Greenwood.

As for the Trades Union, nearly every country in the world has stronger Unions than we do and less punitive Trades Union laws. They don't need them because management in their countries regards the workers as partners not enemies and they are prepared to invest n new plant and machinery instead of pocketing the profits and investing it in some speculative hedge fund.

That's what's wrong with our country short sighted greedy managers. who only think short term. Read Will Huttons "The State We're In" and find out the truth.

Ahhh so you're claiming labour were responsible for the Tory of Sir Winston Churchill winning the war?

Find out the truth lol, hasn't the gospel already spoken? I'm perfectly aware what's wrong with our country and have already highlighted this. Your socialist dogma will only lead the country down the pan, see Venezuela/Argentina

Archived