10 Oct: SLGF - Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors (merged threads)

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more

Just got home. One of the most tense games I've watched. Great atmosphere, great venue, great entertainment, no other sport gets close.

Only downside is a report from a mate who stayed on for a drink saying that fights are breaking out all over the place.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just back. Hard to take, especially the knock on decision.

Of course, the bigger picture is good - tgg put on a fantastic show and Wigan contributed to a great game, while there was the bizarre coexistence with the Dark Side for a day.

Sinfield and Peacock have shed blood for club and country over a long time and deserve to bow out in style.

I don't think Wigan could be faulted for endeavour and showed some skill. The young players particularly stood up to be counted.

I guess it'll be a few days of cat kicking then The Wall of White.

It's such a good joke, I think it should be used more often, thanks for the homage.

Next season, Wigan will be featuring the Milton Keynesian Sam Tomkins, as well as the Greenwichian Tony Clubb.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Earlier in this thread I referred to knock-on ruling. I admit it - I Was Wrong

Upon checking the RLIF Laws of the Game I see that I had always assumed that the legal direction for a dropped ball was the same as the legal direction for a pass. I Was Wrong.

I would just like to add, I Was Wrong.

Thoroughly enjoyable game and great advert for our sport.

It felt a bit strange watching as I didn't seem too bothered who won which, in a game involving Leeds, is unusual for me.  B)

Thought there were a few important slightly controversial moments in the match worth commenting on but, in the grand final scheme of things, didn't bother me too much.

Micky Mac (trademark EW  ;) ) and his deliberate throwing of the ball at a player in the ptb area, well that's a bit of extreme penalty milking but the Leeds' player shouldn't have given him the opportunity to do so. Perhaps Thaler should have treat it like a pass after a tackle is completed, made Wigan play the ball again without giving the Leeds player the chance to get back in defence.

The "forward" pass suddenly given against Wigan when they were full tilt at the Leeds line, when it was flat at the very worst and certainly not as bad as plenty of others allowed earlier in the game. I suspect Ginger Lino Tony Martin may have been involved in this seeing as controversy seems to be his trademark and it was down his side but I'm not certain.

As for the Maguire "knock on", well I thought there was enough evidence to suggest it was but we have to have at least one ridiculous VR decision in a game don't we?

All in all, not too bad for controversy and that made for a great contest.

Felt for Matty Smith, most of what he tried to do seemed to turn to poop.

Nice to see Tony Clubb attempt to wrestle the "World's worst kick during a RL game" award off Kieran Dixon for his attempt at Cas a while back. Not bad Tony but not quite in the same league mate.

Great to see what it meant to the Leeds players at the final hooter, obviously they were doing their best to provide a fitting send off to Peacock, Sinfield and Leuluai and they managed it.

Commiserations to Wigan but their supporters needn't be too downhearted, after all, they'll be back at Old Trafford playing Hull FC next year*, a game they're sure to win.

(* I'm sure I've read that someplace so it's obviously going to happen isn't it? :huh: )

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

The correct nomenclature for Wigan's number 9 is a tricky one. I was strongly reprimanded for referring to him as Micky Mac, as it was seemingly impossible to deduce to whom I was referring, so Leeds' Michael McIllorum it is.

Still bad - here, kitty kitty.

The correct nomenclature for Wigan's number 9 is a tricky one.

Worraboot "Tricky Micky" then?

I thought Wigan lost a lot of momentum when Micky went off. He adds so much to the team. He also pulled off the best tackle of the match on Cuthbertson, a great try saver.

Great game and a great send-off for the retirees. For me, one of Wigan's problems this season has been a lack of appreciation that Matty Bowen at 33 hasn't the pace that he had at (say) 28. There were a couple of occasions yesterday where the younger version would have left the Leeds defence for dead.

I thought Wigan lost a lot of momentum when Micky went off. He adds so much to the team. He also pulled off the best tackle of the match on Cuthbertson, a great try saver.

Still liable to the odd dumb decision/ play - the late high shot on Burrow, or opting for the cheap penality against Watkins (?) when Leeds were stretched in defence stand out.

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

Still liable to the odd dumb decision/ play - the late high shot on Burrow, or opting for the cheap penality against Watkins (?) when Leeds were stretched in defence stand out.

He is still Wigans most important player imo. He should be on for the full 80. Every player is liable to make dumb desicions.

Thoroughly enjoyable game and great advert for our sport.

It felt a bit strange watching as I didn't seem too bothered who won which, in a game involving Leeds, is unusual for me.  B)

Thought there were a few important slightly controversial moments in the match worth commenting on but, in the grand final scheme of things, didn't bother me too much.

Micky Mac (trademark EW  ;) ) and his deliberate throwing of the ball at a player in the ptb area, well that's a bit of extreme penalty milking but the Leeds' player shouldn't have given him the opportunity to do so. Perhaps Thaler should have treat it like a pass after a tackle is completed, made Wigan play the ball again without giving the Leeds player the chance to get back in defence.

The "forward" pass suddenly given against Wigan when they were full tilt at the Leeds line, when it was flat at the very worst and certainly not as bad as plenty of others allowed earlier in the game. I suspect Ginger Lino Tony Martin may have been involved in this seeing as controversy seems to be his trademark and it was down his side but I'm not certain.

As for the Maguire "knock on", well I thought there was enough evidence to suggest it was but we have to have at least one ridiculous VR decision in a game don't we?

All in all, not too bad for controversy and that made for a great contest.

Felt for Matty Smith, most of what he tried to do seemed to turn to poop.

Nice to see Tony Clubb attempt to wrestle the "World's worst kick during a RL game" award off Kieran Dixon for his attempt at Cas a while back. Not bad Tony but not quite in the same league mate.

Great to see what it meant to the Leeds players at the final hooter, obviously they were doing their best to provide a fitting send off to Peacock, Sinfield and Leuluai and they managed it.

Commiserations to Wigan but their supporters needn't be too downhearted, after all, they'll be back at Old Trafford playing Hull FC next year*, a game they're sure to win.

(* I'm sure I've read that someplace so it's obviously going to happen isn't it? :huh: )

I thought McGuire knocked on. But then Wigan's first try certainly came off a forward pass, it was right in front of me, and on the replay you could tell it was forward from the lines,  so ###### for tat

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

The high shot on Burrow that was penalised was the 3rd or 4th.  It was only given after Thaler had penalised Leeds for the same offence.  Someone sat behind me accused Burrow of ducking into them.  Well Macillorum tackled Burrow from behind so he could hardly be accused of ducking into that one.  I'm sorry to read there'd been trouble, but certainly a few of the Wigan fans in the tram queue were not happy bunnies and were chanting obscene stuff about the Leeds fans.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I thought McGuire knocked on. But then Wigan's first try certainly came off a forward pass, it was right in front of me, and on the replay you could tell it was forward from the lines,  so ###### for tat

How many times, the travel of the ball compared to the lines on the pitch is irrelevant.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

That's a real shame. I thought it was one of the best behaved crowds at a GF to be honest. And I think its stretching it a bit to call it a mass brawl. Pit of push & shove made to look worse by the fact that there were so many rammed in there.  Disappointing nonetheless.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

That's a real shame. I thought it was one of the best behaved crowds at a GF to be honest. And I think its stretching it a bit to call it a mass brawl. Pit of push & shove made to look worse by the fact that there were so many rammed in there. Disappointing nonetheless.

unfortunately i think that pub in question is a bit nasty nowadays. They cram as many in as possible. We have left a few times over the years, it always attracts a few scumbags.

I don't think there were any controversial calls. May have been a couple of controversial non calls.

Leeds got it tactically right by taking it to Wigan early on, even after going behind.  That period of the game is when Wigan normally dominate and to turn round 10 points down meant when they did dominate in the 2nd half all they managed to do was get marginally in front.

When they did get in front, I expected them to go on and win, but credit to Leeds, they hung on and the desire to win saw them through.

Great game decided by the players.

If that is considered a mass brawl, the Telegraph editorial team has clearly never covered any protest march in London.

Minor, pre match drink fuelled scuffle between a dozen idiots, though still totally unacceptable.

Let's get the Leeds fan that is picking bottles out of the skip & throwing them identified and banned for life from any game.

If that is considered a mass brawl, the Telegraph editorial team has clearly never covered any protest march in London.

Minor, pre match drink fuelled scuffle between a dozen idiots, though still totally unacceptable.

Let's get the Leeds fan that is picking bottles out of the skip & throwing them identified and banned for life from any game.

Spot on.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

How many times, the travel of the ball compared to the lines on the pitch is irrelevant.

I can't be bothered anymore.

Just let them get on with thinking they're right.

Archived