10 Oct: SLGF - Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors (merged threads)

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earlier in this thread I referred to knock-on ruling. I admit it - I Was Wrong

Upon checking the RLIF Laws of the Game I see that I had always assumed that the legal direction for a dropped ball was the same as the legal direction for a pass. I Was Wrong.

I would just like to add, I Was Wrong.

fair play mate

Fantastic game. When Bowen scored I thought that was it and Wigan would go onto win. The decision to go for 2 and Leeds scoring soon afterwards was a turning point although having said that if it wasn't for the forward pass from Tomkins Wigan could have snatched it as the Leeds defence were looking stretched.

Overall it was a superb event which really was a great advert for our sport.

Normanton Hampshire as he is generally known.

Wigan will be stronger next year. I would be interested to see a back line of - Sarginson (if he properly recovers), Charnley, Gildart, Gelling, Manfredi, Tomkins and Williams - that would pose a few problems to defences. We could then have a pack of Flower, McIllorum, Crosby, Bateman, Farrell, O'Loughlin. If Tautai can settled down and make the most of his talent, we won't need the one handed wonder that is Joel T...

Normanton Hampshire as he is generally known.

Wigan will be stronger next year. I would be interested to see a back line of - Sarginson (if he properly recovers), Charnley, Gildart, Gelling, Manfredi, Tomkins and Williams - that would pose a few problems to defences. We could then have a pack of Flower, McIllorum, Crosby, Bateman, Farrell, O'Loughlin. If Tautai can settled down and make the most of his talent, we won't need the one handed wonder that is Joel T...

Is Sarginson staying EW or off to some other sport?

That's a good question. We pointedly exercised our option last year, so we are either after a fee or hoping he will play on and play well. There are rumours - and just that - that his injury is a bad one. In which case we could give him all the medical attention and rehab in time for him to head off to the dark side. Re-treading the path of a more famous former turncoat. Gildart's emergence ahead of time, with some other exceptional juniors in the backs, makes us more sanguine than we might otherwise have been.

Farrell's pass was fine.

As for the knock on, let's just say that if we lose the series to the Kiwis to a decision like that, then I would hope and expect TRL to go into meltdown. If it had been chalked off, I would be astonished if anyone wood have linked an eyelid.

Farrell's pass was fine.

As for the knock on, let's just say that if we lose the series to the Kiwis to a decision like that, then I would hope and expect TRL to go into meltdown. If it had been chalked off, I would be astonished if anyone wood have linked an eyelid.

i think there was one angle that convinced me it was fine, from the opposite corner of the field

It wasn't a knock on.

To be honest I haven't seen it on the TV yet, but someone who watched it on TV told me what happened and from the sound of it its one of the usual suspects for getting misunderstood. The ball was lost went sideways, hit the floor and rolled forward. its the initial travel of the ball that is important not how it travels after it hits the ground.

If the above is the case it is not a knock on.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

To be honest I haven't seen it on the TV yet, but someone who watched it on TV told me what happened and from the sound of it its one of the usual suspects for getting misunderstood. The ball was lost went sideways, hit the floor and rolled forward. its the initial travel of the ball that is important not how it travels after it hits the ground.

If the above is the case it is not a knock on.

Yep, that sums it up.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

The ruling was correct based on the rules.

In my opinion I think you should award the defencive team though. The tackle from the Wigan player dislodged the ball which should of been rewarded. Rules are there for a reason I know but IMO you should reward the better play which was the tackle.

If the non knock on:

- was the decision which lost England the test series, we would all be as relaxed?

- had been called a knock on at the time, would there have been an outcry?

I think the right team won, absolutely, but suspect the answers to both of the above are no. It was an unfortunate decision. Moreover seeing someone drop the ball in a knock on fashion will inevitibly have caused the defence to pause (or at least that sort of thing always used to happen when I played), so it would have assisted the attack.

The ruling was correct based on the rules.

In my opinion I think you should award the defencive team though. The tackle from the Wigan player dislodged the ball which should of been rewarded. Rules are there for a reason I know but IMO you should reward the better play which was the tackle.

That would require a fundamental change to a basic principle of the games laws. We don't tend to do that.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I am not sure how consistently we genuinely apply this rule either to be honest. I think most refs see someone drop the ball and blow up.

i tend to agree that refs just give a knock on too easily these days, but tge ref, touchy and vr'ALL thought it was play on. This wasnt a quick miss by one person.

McGuire didn't knock on.  The Wigan pass late on was clearly forward. I put money on Wigan t win the GF back in July and don't feel aggrieved at either call/non call.

The fact that Leeds scored from that loose ball was down to poor defending and slow reactions waiting for the whistle.

That would require a fundamental change to a basic principle of the games laws. We don't tend to do that.

You think referees giving 50/50 calls to the team who does the best play would be a new thing into our sport?

Looking back at the game, I still find it hard to believe that Wigan didn't win it. 

The mess with Clubb hoisting the nothing kick towards the end was not the clinical Wigan we should have been able to expect.  Even O'Loughlin just stood there instead of being the one to direct the play.

A real head scratcher on how Leeds pulled it off.

The mere fact that the "brawl" in the fanzone seems to have got a mention in most of the press today means it's rare enough to be worthy of a mention.

I hope to see some effort made to identify the moron throwing stuff. He needs to be aware of the good advice not to drink on an empty head.

Archived