10 Oct: SLGF - Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors (merged threads)

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more

Your Treble winners, as seen on Monday. :D 

2D54D69F00000578-0-image-a-13_1444658669

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fancy dress shop proprietor to Rob Burrow...

"Of course it's not too big for you".

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Looking back at the game, I still find it hard to believe that Wigan didn't win it. 

The mess with Clubb hoisting the nothing kick towards the end was not the clinical Wigan we should have been able to expect.  Even O'Loughlin just stood there instead of being the one to direct the play.

A real head scratcher on how Leeds pulled it off.

Matty Smith was literally stood directly behind Clubb when he kicked it too!

I might put money on Wigan winning it next year, they've such a good young squad that it'll take a big effort to stop them.

Your Treble winners, as seen on Monday. :D

2D54D69F00000578-0-image-a-13_1444658669

I must say that Mad Monday fancy dress idea is one of the things that have been imported from the NRL that I really like.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Nobody told Ryan...

By the way, while no one has answered my previous questions, I thought I would consider the absolutist approach to knock ons further. I know I am v slow. On that basis, then Smith didn't knock on from the kick off as the ball went downwards/backwards before bouncing forwards. And yet there was a clamour when this occurred, indeed Smith's protestations of innocence were gently mocked.

It's a confusing business, and no mistake.

Not even an impression,no knock on.

Having watched the game again now I can't see how the video Ref arrived at the decision not to give a knock on.

The ball was dislodged in the tackle with no wigan player actually touching the ball at any point - McGuire had therefore lost control

The ball then hits his thigh - which doesn't constitute a kick forward under the rules

When the ball hits the floor it is in front of McGuire not behind him

So he loses the ball, doesn't kick it forward and it hits the ground in front of him - How is that NOT a knock on ?

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Having watched the game again now I can't see how the video Ref arrived at the decision not to give a knock on.

The ball was dislodged in the tackle with no wigan player actually touching the ball at any point - McGuire had therefore lost control

The ball then hits his thigh - which doesn't constitute a kick forward under the rules

When the ball hits the floor it is in front of McGuire not behind him

So he loses the ball, doesn't kick it forward and it hits the ground in front of him - How is that NOT a knock on ?

It doesn't really matter whether McGuire is in front of the ball or not all that matters is whether the ball travels forward into a player or the ground. For me it travels forwards from his hands but into his own leg. As you say that isn't classed as a kick but neither is it an opposition player or the ground. From his leg I'd say it stays level at worst but it is very difficult to tell. It's certainly one of those that could go either way. Seeing as all the refs came to the same decision I'm happy to go with that.

Archived