Thackeray thanks fans following departure

Tom Coates

OK BS we understand.

Leave 'Fax bad, join 'Fax good.

We bow to the new wisdom.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are the rules bsj.

Player leaves your club he's:-

1. Past his best, run his course

2. Ill disciplined penalty machine

3. Sh it stirring trouble causer

4. Rubbish. Never been any good.

Signs for our club he's:-

1. Experience leader. Just what we need.

2. A strong enforcer. Just what we need.

3. His own man. Let him loose to play his own game under our coach who'll 'sort him'! Just what we need.

4. Never been allowed to play at his previous club. Class is permanent etc. Our coach'll sort it. Just what we need.

Those are the rules bsj. You know it. I know it. It's always been so.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

As mentioned above...slim pickings at 7 in the Championship.

Ryan Brierley
Harry Siejka
Gaz Moore
Cory Aston
Anthony Thackeray
Scott Leatherbarrow

these are the incumbent scrum halves at six of the leading Championship clubs...obviously all have talent but with all of them, even Brierley, you can point out weaknesses fairly quickly. I can think of a few positions where a number of the better Championship players could step up to SL level and fit in fine...full back, prop, hooker, back row...but the biggest disparity by far is at half back, probably followed by three quarters.

You missed off Fax's first choice 7. :tongue:

Obviously not an obvious candidate.

Those are the rules bsj.

Player leaves your club he's:-

1. Past his best, run his course

2. Ill disciplined penalty machine

3. Sh it stirring trouble causer

4. Rubbish. Never been any good.

Signs for our club he's:-

Would normally agree robin and we are going around in circles really but none of these apply to Thacks.. Still to reach his peak for me. Just needs a better pack

Good team man, perfect discipline and what people are forgetting is that, despite what some are saying, he would still be with us for a third year but for moneybags Fev......

As mentioned above...slim pickings at 7 in the Championship.

Ryan Brierley

Harry Siejka

Gaz Moore

Cory Aston

Anthony Thackeray

Scott Leatherbarrow

these are the incumbent scrum halves at six of the leading Championship clubs...obviously all have talent but with all of them, even Brierley, you can point out weaknesses fairly quickly. I can think of a few positions where a number of the better Championship players could step up to SL level and fit in fine...full back, prop, hooker, back row...but the biggest disparity by far is at half back, probably followed by three quarters.

no dom brambani on there? Miles in front of leatherbarrow

Would normally agree robin and we are going around in circles really but none of these apply to Thacks.. Still to reach his peak for me. Just needs a better pack

Good team man, perfect discipline and what people are forgetting is that, despite what some are saying, he would still be with us for a third year but for moneybags Fev......

Have you yet reached your peak Nick?

Delusion plays a part in sport you know. I reckon we got a good two years out of Thacks and a decent deal for him to move on. It is hypothetical of course, he's playing for another team now.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Have you yet reached your peak Nick?

Delusion plays a part in sport you know. I reckon we got a good two years out of Thacks and a decent deal for him to move on. It is hypothetical of course, he's playing for another team now.

My wife tells me I peaked years ago but if we are talking delusion I reckon my best years are ahead of me. This year wasn't bad mind, deluded myself are had a team capable of getting to a play off final at least. How deluded was that and can it be beaten next year.?

Yep. Reckon so!

Cory Aston is a funny one for me, wouldn't be on my list.

Same for Siejka and Wheelbarrow.

aye... I was just looking at who the top five or six clubs from last year would be playing at 7 (wasn't sure who Dewsbury's 7 would be - is Reynolds a 6 or 7?  -and yes Brambani is better than some of those on the list) - the point I was making was that even the top clubs are struggling to put out quality at scrum half. On the Fax forum there's an 8-page thread on Gaz Moore yet Will Sharp has barely had a mention on there - I know who I think is the better player and it's not even close.

aye... I was just looking at who the top five or six clubs from last year would be playing at 7 (wasn't sure who Dewsbury's 7 would be - is Reynolds a 6 or 7? -and yes Brambani is better than some of those on the list) - the point I was making was that even the top clubs are struggling to put out quality at scrum half. On the Fax forum there's an 8-page thread on Gaz Moore yet Will Sharp has barely had a mention on there - I know who I think is the better player and it's not even close.

indeed. Eggsbloodyzactly!!!

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

38 tries in 60 appearances and probably put Shane Grady and Scott Hale in for a similar number of tries and a couple of decisive drop goals. Let's hope our next one trick pony is as good. Fev clearly have no idea what they are doing signing such a one dimensional player.

Spoke to him at Presentation Night and a very decent, smart bloke. He chatted to my 15 year old son about his rugby which he didn't have to and did say he didn't really want to leave the Rams but Fev had made him a great offer he couldn't turn down, especially as he has become a dad. Good luck to him and whilst his first season was better, his second was still better than most half backs we have had.

How many times did Thacks take the ball right up to the defensive line, readying himself to pass, and then at the last second slice through a gap the width of a razor blade to score? Many times.

Think about the first game we had against Sheffield when he did it.

That was his main (but not only) party piece.

I've seen that kid do it so many times, and I'm talking about his Widnes and Halifax days as well.

I hope he doesn't do it to us next year, but good luck to him anyway, as he's been a good lad for us.

aye... I was just looking at who the top five or six clubs from last year would be playing at 7 (wasn't sure who Dewsbury's 7 would be - is Reynolds a 6 or 7?  -and yes Brambani is better than some of those on the list) - the point I was making was that even the top clubs are struggling to put out quality at scrum half. On the Fax forum there's an 8-page thread on Gaz Moore yet Will Sharp has barely had a mention on there - I know who I think is the better player and it's not even close.

I think most Fax fans know that in Sharp we have probably signed the best winger in the division so theres not much up for discussion where as Moore there will be more discussion because opinion is split amongst Fax fans. As for our scrum half it will be Ben Johnston rather than Moore anyway as Im not sure why people are asuming Moore will be an automatic starter when we have Johnston and Murrell already.

If Sammut stays in our league where does he rank on the list ?

High David. Very high. But I didn't produce the original list nor did I add to it, just discussed who was on it.

Wakey Ram on point with his Thacks assessment, spoke to him a number of times and he loved the club. I have no qualms with him going to Fev, a three year deal more money, good luck to him.

And Blue Ox with another statement of the year, Sharp the best winger in the league? go on then explain that one.

The championship is packed with good wingers.

Indeed . In fact it's packed more and more with good players . It's a very good watch and we should be exposed to much more of it from the broadcasters

From what I've been told, and it sounds likely, Sky have the rights to the championship, but choose not to show it, apart from the bash and middle 8s. But this could be a whole new topic on its own.

And Blue Ox with another statement of the year, Sharp the best winger in the league? go on then explain that one.

The championship is packed with good wingers.

You are right there are some good wingers in the Championship but you will find even Fev fans admiting that Sharp is top drawer. If I were to pick two wingers I would go for Liam Kay and Sharp although its hard to say if Kay is that good or if its just the way Leigh play that provides him with stacks of tries. Who's your picks then? Im guessing you wouldnt want Sharp at the Rams?

I think most Fax fans know that in Sharp we have probably signed the best winger in the division so theres not much up for discussion where as Moore there will be more discussion because opinion is split amongst Fax fans. As for our scrum half it will be Ben Johnston rather than Moore anyway as Im not sure why people are asuming Moore will be an automatic starter when we have Johnston and Murrell already.

Oh dear if that's the case expect Moore to start throwing a tantrum!!

You are right there are some good wingers in the Championship but you will find even Fev fans admiting that Sharp is top drawer. If I were to pick two wingers I would go for Liam Kay and Sharp although its hard to say if Kay is that good or if its just the way Leigh play that provides him with stacks of tries. Who's your picks then? Im guessing you wouldnt want Sharp at the Rams?

If you're making a statement that Sharp is the best winger then can I have some facts or evidence? And the fact Fev are sorry to see him go isn't evidence.

I do rate him, but would Rams fans dislodge our player of the year or Dalton Grant for him? Probably not.

Liam Kay benefits from Leigh's style of play like you say. Wayne Reittie is up there, Scott Turner I like, Danny Williams.

Who's position is Sharp is taking? Saltonstall is good, Saxton has been a thorn in our side but maybe he isn't what he used to be.

Archived