Vital question

RoughyedsMad

If talks are only just starting with Simon Corney regarding the use of SportsDirect.com Park what has been happening in the last few months?? It makes it sound as though Hamilton has been on holiday and done nothing! I am sure that is not the case but to a neutral observer this is how it looks!! Why is this now not deemed to be a confidentiality issue if something that is not definite is now being reported in the media?? God knows what happens behind closed doors at this club!! Communication with the supporters is very very poor to say at the least. It could be that a Plan A and Plan B has not worked so now on Plan C. It is like pulling teeth out and far from satisfactory how this has been handled. Why can't Hamilton be open and honest from Day One??

Have any of you seen what the likes of Swinton are doing via social media at the moment.  On their Twitter timeline there's a daily barrage of promotional images aimed at both supporters and potential sponsors. They're making a big thing of having the Grand Final winner's trophy and are parading it about to all and sundry.  It kind of irks me a little bit because all that trophy represents is the fact they won an end of season knock-out competition comprising of four runners-up; you know, the guys who didn't win the league, yet from an outsiders point of view, hey, this team won the Grand Final, wow!

Sounds like I'm knocking Swinton here, I'm not, but their marketing team or person is making the most of a bit of silverware, however tenuous and good luck to them.  We should be doing the same, and more.   I want to see images of our team, our captain, holding the League Winners trophy aloft, showing that Oldham, the best team in League 1 last year, are about to embark on a challenge in the Championship.  "Wear the shirt", "Be part of the team", "We are Roughyeds" and the like should be filling my social media timelines constantly.   Instead, all we get is simple text based tweets telling us matter of fact information.

Maybe there isn't someone in the Oldham set-up who can quickly produce the kind of things Swinton are doing, I grok that.  In that case, the club could engage with supporters who are willing to produce promotional material for public consumption.  I'd give it a go and I reckon there are others who would to.  For love.  

edit: typos

Promotion of the club is the last thing on the clubs mind.

They haven't got anywhere to play and the clocks ticking

Once we're told where we'll be playing, and I'm pretty convinced it's BP, there may be an outburst of information.  There's a certainly a lot we need to know.  Season tickets, admission prices, potential new shirts, all that kind of stuff.  Here's hoping.

Everyone is assuming Chris Hamilton is driving this Boundary Park move. I wouldn't be surprised if CH had sorted out LSV earlier in the season, but then Simon Corney's accountant had a quiet word in his ear and then said to Simon...... We've got a big shiny new stand, it's overun and overspent. It's only going to be used 9 months of the year. There is a newly promoted Rugby League club down the road, who could be getting 1500 people and 3000 thousand for some games in our stadium and shiny, under-used new stand. Well if I were you Simon, I'd put past diffences aside and look at this as a business opportunity. Give Chris a ring, and lets talk business.

That's just me looking at this from a different angle, doesn't mean its true. But it makes so much sense for Latics. It's whether it makes sense for 'Roughyeds' which will all come down to, "Can they afford it"...... lets hope they can

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

Promotion of the club is the last thing on the clubs mind.

They haven't got anywhere to play and the clocks ticking

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! Anyone would think nothing good has happened to ORLFC in recent times!

Following 18 years of an apparent jinx on making any progress, the club has just ended a fantastic and hugely successful season. The training facilities are second to none and the whole squad of players and the coaching/backroom team are the product of a happy and hard-working environment which has resulted in success and reasons to 'stick together' for the fresh challenge in 2016. That environment hasn't just 'come about' but is part of what IS the Oldham club.

The promotion of the club for next season is bound to follow on from the imminent announcement concerning where we are to play (which seems increasingly likely to be in Oldham, which is good news), but in the meantime we need to retain the positive vibes that the 2015 season left us with and await announcements. 

Everyone is assuming Chris Hamilton is driving this Boundary Park move. I wouldn't be surprised if CH had sorted out LSV earlier in the season, but then Simon Corney's accountant had a quiet word in his ear and then said to Simon...... We've got a big shiny new stand, it's overun and overspent. It's only going to be used 9 months of the year. There is a newly promoted Rugby League club down the road, who could be getting 1500 people and 3000 thousand for some games in our stadium and shiny, under-used new stand. Well if I were you Simon, I'd put past diffences aside and look at this as a business opportunity. Give Chris a ring, and lets talk business.

That's just me looking at this from a different angle, doesn't mean its true. But it makes so much sense for Latics. It's whether it makes sense for 'Roughyeds' which will all come down to, "Can they afford it"...... lets hope they can

Thing is though latics actually made a profit last year...£400,000 iirc

But yeah getting a extra £40-50,000 in rent off ORLFC then its good business

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! Anyone would think nothing good has happened to ORLFC in recent times!

Following 18 years of an apparent jinx on making any progress, the club has just ended a fantastic and hugely successful season. The training facilities are second to none and the whole squad of players and the coaching/backroom team are the product of a happy and hard-working environment which has resulted in success and reasons to 'stick together' for the fresh challenge in 2016. That environment hasn't just 'come about' but is part of what IS the Oldham club.

The promotion of the club for next season is bound to follow on from the imminent announcement concerning where we are to play (which seems increasingly likely to be in Oldham, which is good news), but in the meantime we need to retain the positive vibes that the 2015 season left us with and await announcements.

Yes fabulous season which is now in the history books.

Need to acknowledge what happened with merchandise for the fans as such making money for the club

Have any of you seen what the likes of Swinton are doing via social media at the moment.  On their Twitter timeline there's a daily barrage of promotional images aimed at both supporters and potential sponsors. They're making a big thing of having the Grand Final winner's trophy and are parading it about to all and sundry.  It kind of irks me a little bit because all that trophy represents is the fact they won an end of season knock-out competition comprising of four runners-up; you know, the guys who didn't win the league, yet from an outsiders point of view, hey, this team won the Grand Final, wow!

Sounds like I'm knocking Swinton here, I'm not, but their marketing team or person is making the most of a bit of silverware, however tenuous and good luck to them.  We should be doing the same, and more.   I want to see images of our team, our captain, holding the League Winners trophy aloft, showing that Oldham, the best team in League 1 last year, are about to embark on a challenge in the Championship.  "Wear the shirt", "Be part of the team", "We are Roughyeds" and the like should be filling my social media timelines constantly.   Instead, all we get is simple text based tweets telling us matter of fact information.

Maybe there isn't someone in the Oldham set-up who can quickly produce the kind of things Swinton are doing, I grok that.  In that case, the club could engage with supporters who are willing to produce promotional material for public consumption.  I'd give it a go and I reckon there are others who would to.  For love.  

edit: typos

You are talking my language Mr Naylor.

The setup is CH,who would openly admit to a total lack of internet savvy.The idea of being left with shirts and stuff on in hands is something he genuinley fears.This I learned in direct conversation with him at meetings.He baulked at the idea of offloading stuff in an ebay shop for example.He did not realise that it would still sell abeit at less profit or cost but would benefit my maintaning web presence.CH is good at what he is good at which is putting a team together and keeping the club going on a shoestring.

Roger Halstead is a brilliant but oldschool wordsmith and he will be good in the arts of the drip feed of news.He will know enough to update his bit of the website and poss twitter and fb feeds.There is other support from some good hearted people but again no internet savvy among them.

Shortcomings are what you and I have been disscussing and we perhaps need to be doing something where merch and vids can be done and grafted to the website.Give CH a couple more weeks to see if he has anything in the pipeline from RFL as he promised and if nothing coming  me and thee need to be chatting.

Following 18 years of an apparent jinx on making any progress, the club has just ended a fantastic and hugely successful season. The training facilities are second to none and the whole squad of players and the coaching/backroom team are the product of a happy and hard-working environment which has resulted in success and reasons to 'stick together' for the fresh challenge in 2016. That environment hasn't just 'come about' but is part of what IS the Oldham club.

The promotion of the club for next season is bound to follow on from the imminent announcement concerning where we are to play (which seems increasingly likely to be in Oldham, which is good news), but in the meantime we need to retain the positive vibes that the 2015 season left us with and await announcements. 

You sound like Maggie Thatch ,Rejoice ,Rejoice.

I'll tell you what I felt and those with me felt.RELIEF,pure and utter.Almost tears.Then after the lap of honour and exiting to the car it was jeasus where are we playing next season? ,has he sorted it out? ,please dont let it be LSV.The week after in the pub,people who dont even go to the rugby were asking me the same questions.Its the talk of the town.

You be in denial of the issues if you wish but promotion ,while vital was just 1 rung of a big ladder .

Shortcomings are what you and I have been disscussing and we perhaps need to be doing something where merch and vids can be done and grafted to the website.Give CH a couple more weeks to see if he has anything in the pipeline from RFL as he promised and if nothing coming  me and thee need to be chatting.

Works for me.  

My best guess is that the club are getting one of these FluidCM type sites that seem to be all the rage throughout the league.  Those sites appear to pull in data from a central source so that there's uniformity on how the league tables and results are presented.  Like every site though, there needs to be someone behind the scenes making the most of what you've got.

I'm a WordPress guy so I'd always do things the WordPress way but whatever.  Let's see what turns up like you say. 

Thing is though latics actually made a profit last year...£400,000 iirc

But yeah getting a extra £40-50,000 in rent off ORLFC then its good business

It's who gets the corporate. Now will Oldham Athletic get all the food and drink+ corporate-dining-boxes money and 'Roughyeds' just rent the seats and make their money off selling tickets. This has been the problem with Salford's agreement at the AJBell.

If the deal between Latics and Roughyeds is to restrictive. Then you could see CH pulling out. This could be where all the silence has come from. CH could be trying to negotiate the best deal for Roughyeds. Which he must do. He can't just jump into a deal that could potentially bankrupt Oldham RLFC.

They appear to still be negotiating. Which means it's not a take it or leave from Latics. Which points to maybe a long term lease arrangements being worked out.

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

It's who gets the corporate. Now will Oldham Athletic get all the food and drink+ corporate-dining-boxes money and 'Roughyeds' just rent the seats and make their money off selling tickets. This has been the problem with Salford's agreement at the AJBell.

If the deal between Latics and Roughyeds is to restrictive. Then you could see CH pulling out. This could be where all the silence has come from. CH could be trying to negotiate the best deal for Roughyeds. Which he must do. He can't just jump into a deal that could potentially bankrupt Oldham RLFC.

They appear to still be negotiating. Which means it's not a take it or leave from Latics. Which points to maybe a long term lease arrangements being worked out.

at the very least the deal should be seats,corporate & advertising boards......latics can have the food & drinks from the stalls...compromise..

we can't pay rent and only get the gate money..that won't work

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

at the very least the deal should be seats,corporate & advertising boards......latics can have the food & drinks from the stalls...compromise..

we can't pay rent and only get the gate money..that won't work

Exactly.

If done right it will benefit both setups.if one takes too much out of the other it will benefit nobody.

Yes. But decent promotion and merchadingin will only add to the coffers and enable more days like the one just gone.

I'd say we got deservedly promoted. And were overdue.

But it was despite some aspects  the way the club is run, not wholly because of it.

I am still wary

I am still wary.

CH could enter into the negotiations with a fairly open mind, but he hasn't got the strongest hand.

So, he could easily pull out and try and blame Latics for imposing too tough conditions.

This will leave Roughyeds back to option 1.

You sound like Maggie Thatch ,Rejoice ,Rejoice.

I'll tell you what I felt and those with me felt.RELIEF,pure and utter.Almost tears.Then after the lap of honour and exiting to the car it was jeasus where are we playing next season? ,has he sorted it out? ,please dont let it be LSV.The week after in the pub,people who dont even go to the rugby were asking me the same questions.Its the talk of the town.

You be in denial of the issues if you wish but promotion ,while vital was just 1 rung of a big ladder .

Andy, Maggie Thatcher, most definitely NOT, thank you!!

Contrary to your understanding of the views I have expressed, I am very well aware of the bigger issues that need addressing, I was merely giving a more positive view as a base point for taking the club forward after such a successful season.

Contrary to your understanding of the views I have expressed, I am very well aware of the bigger issues that need addressing, I was merely giving a more positive view as a base point for taking the club forward after such a successful season.

That's quite alright.As the song goes,"things can only get better"

Let's see what comes of it all.I do know a colleague of mine who has been involved with the Latics over many years.He says Roughyeds will be at Boundary Park next season and the council were involved. Believe it if you wish.I do hope it's Boundary Park but you never know.Fingers crossed.I think people will come back if we're there.

Contrary to your understanding of the views I have expressed, I am very well aware of the bigger issues that need addressing, I was merely giving a more positive view as a base point for taking the club forward after such a successful season.

Thanks for your concern of mental health,

I didn't realise that the board moderate allows personal attacks

In no way 'clifford' was my comment made as a reference to your mental health, but as you have taken it that way and therefore as a personal insult, I DO apologise. My observation was purely intended as a humorous response to the gloomy tone of your post and I never considered it would be taken in any other way.

Archived