Apologies for omissions or errors, but as far as I can tell, this weekend saw the following results:

Thailand 30-6 Japan
Wales 18-12 Scotland
Cook Islands 8-28 Tonga
France 31-14 Ireland
Norway 30-20 Sweden
Greece 4-76 Spain
USA 28:34 Canada

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Canada the form team at the moment, are they going to start as favourites for the Americas World Cup qualifying tournament?

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

I guess it all depends on whether the USA utilise overseas players.

I know some of their fans weren't happy about the last WC squad but - I'm a pragmatist - I'd worry about getting into the WC first then they have 2 seasons to build a home-based squad. They're not getting thumped so maybe just Joseph Paulo to organise plays a bit better might be enough.

I know some of their fans weren't happy about the last WC squad but - I'm a pragmatist - I'd worry about getting into the WC first then they have 2 seasons to build a home-based squad. They're not getting thumped so maybe just Joseph Paulo to organise plays a bit better might be enough.

My understanding is that they're focusing on pathways for home grown players, but there will still be space for some 'ancestrals' in the squad. So they'll step up a level by the time the qualifiers start.

That said, I'd expect the Canadians to improve too, with some decent standard players from UK/AUS bolstering the clearly talented (and well coached) domestic players. 

Anyone heard anything about the Jamaicans yet?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

I still have the USA down as favourites to qualify.

Yes, their last WC squad was a disgrace, but as mentioned above, there's still room for half a dozen heritage players to bolster the squad and carry them over the line. Also, I reckon that being coached by SL's triple-winning coach will be the clincher.

Archived