2016 Four Nations (Merged threads)

To stop the other thread about the olympic stadium drifting on to another topic..lets talk about it here..

So

ROUND ONE

Australia v nz.

Has to be in london,i think the olympic stadium is too big...so how about upton park? Its still gonna be there,i believe the local council have rejected permission to sell the land stating theres potential for other sports to be played there,RL even got a mention in the notice..

England v scotland - id go huddersfield,we filled it for the ireland RLWC game..

ROUND TWO

England v australia & scotland v NZ

was tempted to say wembley...but i think i'll opt for st james park,newcastle..and promote the ###### out of it at magic weekend...

ROUND THREE

Scotland v australia - lets send the aussies up to aberdeen....hearts pitch is just too small,iirc they had to move european games to murryfield a few years ago cos the pitch didn't meet uefa size standards.

England v NZ...see i can't decide whether we play this game at the etihad and the final at elland round or vice versa??

FINAL - as i said...etihad or elland road

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

I would take Oz - NZ to the Olympic stadium as simply playing it there will add to the sense of occasion. Particularly as we will have 10s of thousands of people coming to watch the first rugby game there next month whose details the RFL will have to hand.

The English games can all be in big stadia in the north.

The Scottish games are far more problematic. Which Scotrish game would get the best gate? It seems contrived to have England's game there as it'll only tell us how many English will travel north of the border. I have seen little to suggest that the Scots are that interested but would be happy to be proven wrong...

If the Scots don't play in Scotland then whats the point? I've got no problem with a team being established and made competitive with the grandfather rule but that has to be part of at least some attempt at a long term strategy to develop the sport 

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

I'd push for two double headers:

Round 1: Scotland vs England and Australia vs New Zealand @ Murrayfield

Round 2: Scotland vs New Zealand and England vs Australia @ Wembley

Round 3: England vs New Zealand @ Elland Road - Scotland vs Australia @ TBC

Final: Eithad

Bold of course but why not with a year to push?

Round 1: Scotland vs England and Australia vs New Zealand @ Murrayfield

As I mentioned in my other post, I'd rather have a big double header at Hampden or Rangers/Celtic. I think we ought to steer clear of Murrayfield, as RL's market is more likely to be working class Glasgow

The SRL are currently making use of Galashiels, being in the Borders, it attracts more of a crowd than any Scotland match has managed in Edinburgh or Glasgow, possibly ever. It's a tough call this - it needs heavily marketed, but they don't have the resources. I trust the tournament organisers are aware of this and are working out how to get round it. I'd aim for a 10,000-seater stadium - pulling five figures in Scotland would be quite a success I reckon. The Super League matches in Edinburgh back in the day pulled at least 5,000, so it's doable with effort.

Double headers? Please no, why can't we just have single matches at single venues which have long term objectives to promote the sport in that particular country.

Do you really foresee the RFL taking a punt and marketing any Scotland games in that country? It's why I would suggest Scotland playing in double headers in all but one of their games (I'd suggest Aberdeen for that game against Australia and get the local club to help push it); at least the double header in Scotland would force the RFL to push the games there. I envisage Scotland playing their games in Doncaster and Cumbria again sadly...

The SRL are currently making use of Galashiels, being in the Borders, it attracts more of a crowd than any Scotland match has managed in Edinburgh or Glasgow, possibly ever. It's a tough call this - it needs heavily marketed, but they don't have the resources. I trust the tournament organisers are aware of this and are working out how to get round it. I'd aim for a 10,000-seater stadium - pulling five figures in Scotland would be quite a success I reckon. The Super League matches in Edinburgh back in the day pulled at least 5,000, so it's doable with effort.

This is why I'd suggest a big-double header at one of the key grounds in Glasgow/Edinburgh followed by Aberdeen as I thought the Warriors were developing the game up well there?

Do you really foresee the RFL taking a punt and marketing any Scotland games in that country? It's why I would suggest Scotland playing in double headers in all but one of their games (I'd suggest Aberdeen for that game against Australia and get the local club to help push it); at least the double header in Scotland would force the RFL to push the games there. I envisage Scotland playing their games in Doncaster and Cumbria again sadly...

This is why I'd suggest a big-double header at one of the key grounds in Glasgow/Edinburgh followed by Aberdeen as I thought the Warriors were developing the game up well there?

I'm sure there would be value in getting the Warriors involved, but it needs much more than that. I'd be curious to see what sort of crowd they could draw up there - sporting-wise it's pretty neglected, so could be fertile ground.

I'm sure there would be value in getting the Warriors involved, but it needs much more than that. I'd be curious to see what sort of crowd they could draw up there - sporting-wise it's pretty neglected, so could be fertile ground.

Of course it would require more reason. But what you have is an ambitious and decent club up there in Aberdeen who could be used by the SRL and RFL to push a game against Australia. It doesn't need huge TV commercials to advertise such games in reasonably isolated places. Volunteers handing out flyers and Aberdeen Officials/players advertising on local radio with funds provided centrally would do everyone a world of good.

I also think we should be targetting places for development with such games. I fully appreciate the SRL are using Galashiels as you state but the game as a whole should be using such internationals as development tools in conjunction with the local community scenes to generate interest. It's why I'd suggest England 'one-off- tests should be played at places like Sheffield, Coventry and Bristol. In fact, my original choice of Elland Road should be changed to Bramall Lane!

What it could be:

Aus v NZ  (Welford Road, Leicester)

Eng v Scotland (Headingley)

Eng v Aus (Wembley Double-Header)

Scot v NZ

Eng v NZ (Elland Road)

Scot v Aus (Glasgow, Scotstoun Stadium)

Final (Etihad, Manchester)

What it may end up as:

Aus v NZ (Warrington)

Eng v Scot (Leigh)

Eng v Aus (Wembley)

Scot v NZ

Scot v Aus (Workington)

Eng v NZ (Hull)

Final (Elland Road)

To stop the other thread about the olympic stadium drifting on to another topic..lets talk about it here..

So

ROUND ONE

Australia v nz.

Has to be in london,i think the olympic stadium is too big...so how about upton park? Its still gonna be there,i believe the local council have rejected permission to sell the land stating theres potential for other sports to be played there,RL even got a mention in the notice..

England v scotland - id go huddersfield,we filled it for the ireland RLWC game..

ROUND TWO

England v australia & scotland v NZ

was tempted to say wembley...but i think i'll opt for st james park,newcastle..and promote the ###### out of it at magic weekend...

ROUND THREE

Scotland v australia - lets send the aussies up to aberdeen....hearts pitch is just too small,iirc they had to move european games to murryfield a few years ago cos the pitch didn't meet uefa size standards.

England v NZ...see i can't decide whether we play this game at the etihad and the final at elland round or vice versa??

FINAL - as i said...etihad or elland road

Got to have either Eng vs Oz or Eng vs NZ in London to keep the game bubbling down here. Oz would prob attract at least 40,000 of us southerners alone (NZ a bit less due to game this year) including those that are not die hard fans, but want to cheer their national team in elite international sport. Oz vs NZ in London would only attract existing RL fans and some expats. 

Of course it would require more reason. But what you have is an ambitious and decent club up there in Aberdeen who could be used by the SRL and RFL to push a game against Australia. It doesn't need huge TV commercials to advertise such games in reasonably isolated places. Volunteers handing out flyers and Aberdeen Officials/players advertising on local radio with funds provided centrally would do everyone a world of good.

I also think we should be targetting places for development with such games. I fully appreciate the SRL are using Galashiels as you state but the game as a whole should be using such internationals as development tools in conjunction with the local community scenes to generate interest. It's why I'd suggest England 'one-off- tests should be played at places like Sheffield, Coventry and Bristol. In fact, my original choice of Elland Road should be changed to Bramall Lane!

Totally agree.

Round 1: Scotland vs England and Australia vs New Zealand @ Murrayfield

Oops messed up the quote, but I think the above pretty good. In 1st game, NZ v Oz will get England fans to travel, and Scots should turn out for England. If Murrayfield (which SL fans have enjoyed in past), then TBC round 3 should be in Glasgow. Patrick Thistle or Clyde are about 10k and thus feasible with the right marketing, PT more central Glasgow so probably better. However, Match 1 could be smaller Ibrox (Rangers need £ so may allay pitch misconceptions), and TBD match 3 could be at 20k Hibs in Edinburgh. I think Murrayfield due to RL history and more potential RUbfans attending pips it, as does smaller Galsgow than Edinburgh venue for round 3.

For round 2, lets see how Olympuc stadium goes, as Wembley potentially 2 big. Whilst 2 years in a row, Eng v Oz always gonna be a big draw.

For round 3, maybe a big turn out v NZ after 3 tests this year expects a lot to fill Elland Rd, so maybe Hudd (as no test this year) or Hull (always good NZ turn out). Patrick Thistle for Scotland Oz.

Final at Elland Rd, as Etihads new bigger capacity risks more empty seats

Scotland playing in the 4 Nations - what an absolute joke !

It should only involve nations who actually play the sport, not some meaningless fabricated side made up of non-natives.

Once again the RFL are a laughing stock.

As if anybody in Scotland will actually be interested !

baaarrow.png

Scotland playing in the 4 Nations - what an absolute joke !

It should only involve nations who actually play the sport, not some meaningless fabricated side made up of non-natives.

Once again the RFL are a laughing stock.

As if anybody in Scotland will actually be interested !

they earned the right by winning the European championship. The team that played last week had Scottish based players and if Russell is fit he's one more. Plenty of national teams have low numbers of players born in the country they play for.

Archived