Rugby History Thread

Padge

Don't know if this will keep going or not, but, here goes.

The idea of this thread is for people to be able to post anything interesting that they come across from the history of the game and somewhere that people can ask questions and hopefully get answers about anyone or anything to do with the sports past. 

Also a place to debate the development of the game from an historic perspective.

I'll set the ball rolling with a Mitchell and Kenyon Clip.

This is quite rare as it shows Manningham playing Dewsbury in 1901 at Dewsbury. Enjoy.

• Thanks 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

oops

Edited by Padge

One for Huddersfield Fans, 1953 Challenge Cup final.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/wembley-rugby-league-final-aka-huddersfield-v-st

This is something I'd like to read more about. From nearly 50 years ago, the barefoot PNG schools team that played 10 matches against Australian opposition and lost only twice.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wouldnt mind seeing the minutes from the famous meeting at the George Hotel....,.

Anyone know where the worlds oldest rugby shirt is (for any club which joined the NU)

The minutes of the meeting have "gone missing", the RFL did have them however at some point they disappeared.

Wouldnt mind seeing the minutes from the famous meeting at the George Hotel....,.

Anyone know where the worlds oldest rugby shirt is (for any club which joined the NU)

There was an original shirt on display in Wigan during the last Rugby World Cup as worn by a Jim Slevin who played in 1897 but is down as an original Northern Union player.

read tony collins book its an eye opener

Which book, he has written a few.*

*I know which you mean, others may not.

One of my favourite stories from rugby league's history is the 1909 NSWRL Grand Final. NSWRL planned a match between the Kangeroos and the Wallabies, with the Grand Final the curtain raiser for it. Balmain and Souths, the two teams in the Grand Final, unofficially agreed to not play as a protest. However, Souths turned up, kicked off and were awarded the victory! 

Bizarre

• Haha 1

This may not be PC but how come the PNG player passing the ball is white?

Second-generation citizen from Europe/Australia ancestry? Who knows? If a player qualifies and is good enough, pick him.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This may not be PC but how come the PNG player passing the ball is white?

Wan't Offiah sort of dark coloured, and Mal Meniga did seem to be a bit not pale faced Aussie.

FFS

Keep it civilised please. This has every chance of being a long and interesting thread, and having it locked would benefit nobody.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

To$$er.

Come on DP, was there really a need for that.

There was an original shirt on display in Wigan during the last Rugby World Cup as worn by a Jim Slevin who played in 1897 but is down as an original Northern Union player.

Jim Slevin was a star player for Wigan from the RFU days. He also appears to have done some reffing - just now I was reading the match report of Widnes v Warrington from March 1893 (a rearranged game from November '92 the first match having been postponed due to smallpox in wiretown - Widnes won 2-0 courtesy of a try by J Clarke) and Slevin was the merry whistleblower.

Absolutely no union bashing in this thread.  It will be deleted and a minimum of a warning applied.  I don't want to move this thread therefore I'll get punitive far earlier than normal if people don't listen.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Jim Slevin was a star player for Wigan from the RFU days. He also appears to have done some reffing - just now I was reading the match report of Widnes v Warrington from March 1893 (a rearranged game from November '92 the first match having been postponed due to smallpox in wiretown - Widnes won 2-0 courtesy of a try by J Clarke) and Slevin was the merry whistleblower.

Great story, which was my intention with this thread, but the dates are baffling? Should that be 82?

Great story, which was my intention with this thread, but the dates are baffling? Should that be 82?

Definitely 1892. The Widnes Weekly News of 19 Nov that year says the Mayor (of Widnes, I think) asked that the game due 26 Nov be postponed due to an epidemic in Warrington.

Definitely 1892. The Widnes Weekly News of 19 Nov that year says the Mayor (of Widnes, I think) asked that the game due 26 Nov be postponed due to an epidemic in Warrington.

That puts about 11 years between the re-arrangement!

I love 19th century rugby.

I'm now up to Easter Monday 1893 and the kick off of Widnes v Leigh has been delayed from 3.15pm to 6.10pm owing to one of the Leigh players guesting for St Helens v Runcorn in the afternoon and most of the Chemics players watching that match.