Rugby History Thread

Padge

My dad once told me a story, from some considerable years back, about a Hull FC player who'd apparently committed some sort of crime in the days before a fixture at the Boulevard.

This player was a first teamer and played in the game on the following weekend.

Seems the Police turned up to arrest him shortly after the game started but, obviously, elected to wait until half time before carting him off to the cells.

The player concerned got wind of this and spent the half time sat on the centre spot whilst everybody else departed for the changing rooms for their break.

The Police, rather than risk being lynched by the home crowd, opted to wait until full time to carry out their arrest.

I've no idea whether or not this is a true story or not but it was one of several my late dad used to entertain me with about the history of Hull FC.

Once Ullman returns from his dual wedding trip to Australia, I'll ask him if he's heard of any stories with a similar ring to it.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Dunno if this picture will work as I'm trying this from my phone.

Obviously the Dalton side from 1903. My great-grandfather is J Coward. I played for Dalton 100 years later!

post-11864-0-94472000-1445763152_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mister C

I apologise but I didn't see the need from yourself to make my comment appear racist.

Sorry but that was how it came across to me, t'internet can be hard work some times. Apologies for taking it wrongly.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

This is something I'd like to read more about. From nearly 50 years ago, the barefoot PNG schools team that played 10 matches against Australian opposition and lost only twice.

Amazing, wonder if there's any footage.

I'll get m' coat.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Sorry but that was how it came across to me, t'internet can be hard work some times. Apologies for taking it wrongly.

No problem. I just found it unusual that the only picture on that link showed a white lad playing for a PNG schoolboys team circa 1970. Nothing sinister, honest.

rldfsignature.jpg

No problem. I just found it unusual that the only picture on that link showed a white lad playing for a PNG schoolboys team circa 1970. Nothing sinister, honest.

Probably says more about the Aussie media in the 50s and what they editorially chose than reality.

My dad once told me a story, from some considerable years back, about a Hull FC player who'd apparently committed some sort of crime in the days before a fixture at the Boulevard.

This player was a first teamer and played in the game on the following weekend.

Seems the Police turned up to arrest him shortly after the game started but, obviously, elected to wait until half time before carting him off to the cells.

The player concerned got wind of this and spent the half time sat on the centre spot whilst everybody else departed for the changing rooms for their break.

The Police, rather than risk being lynched by the home crowd, opted to wait until full time to carry out their arrest.

I've no idea whether or not this is a true story or not but it was one of several my late dad used to entertain me with about the history of Hull FC.

Once Ullman returns from his dual wedding trip to Australia, I'll ask him if he's heard of any stories with a similar ring to it.

On the subject of policemen turning up at matches to nab someone, Henri Garcia's tale of the recruitment of Puig-Aubert comes to mind,

Puig-Aubert's father was a proper old-school Rugby League-hating type and forbade him to switch codes from Rugby Union.

One day, Paul Barriere arrived at the house with sign-up papers, so Puig-Aubert climbed out of his bedroom on a rope of knotted bedsheets. The two then set off to ASC for the latter's Rugby League debut.

Puig senior, true to form, told the police to go and arrest Barriere for the kidnapping of a minor. However, Barriere persuaded them to stay and watch the match before they did anything, while Pipette phoned his mum. She was the real boss of the household and the charges were dropped quickly by a very chastened father.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Swinton v Liverpool Stanley 1937

Warrington v Wigan match from1934 played in Shelbourne Park Dogs track.

Newcastle Rugby League V Huddersfield from 1936

Played according to Trevor Delaney at Brough park Greyhound stadium.

Liverpool, Dublin & Newcastle. From 80 odd years ago

• Like 1

If you haven't watched it already, there's an Australian series called 'That's Rugby League' that is available on YouTube. Each episode covers a decade (up to the Nineties), apart from the first one which covers 1908 to 1939. Lots of good old footage.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you haven't watched it already, there's an Australian series called 'That's Rugby League' that is available on YouTube. Each episode covers a decade (up to the Nineties), apart from the first one which covers 1908 to 1939. Lots of good old footage.

One of the best documentaries I've ever seen on RL even if it is from an Australian perspective.

rldfsignature.jpg

Where was the Swinton - Liverpool game played? With the pitchside ads in French it wasn't Station Road.

Also what is the trophy, is this some long forgotten European Competition?

Only European  inter-club competition I can find is from 1956 in France and 1957 in England, revived in 1969 when interestingly XIII Catalan played Leeds and carried on for another two seasons before being scrapped again.

Edited by Padge

The swinton liverpool on the pathe site is different. This is def in France, the crowd look way too stylish. A man with messy hair and a leather jacket! The ground also does football and is a velodrome, could be Marseille. The handling skills seem very high and

the cup even looks French. Could this be a French cup final as the crowd is very big As well.fantastic footage

From a New Zealand newspaper, their thoughts on the first ever tour by the NZ All Golds.

200px-1_June_1907_NZ_Truth_Professional_

Group shot of All Golds before they left Australia

All-Golds_2_w470.jpg

Edited by Padge

From a New Zealand newspaper, their thoughts on the first ever tour by the NZ All Golds.

All-Golds_2_w470.jpg

All-Golds_2_w470.jpg

Match report from NSW v All Golds....

Anyone got a link to the full article?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The article was published in a newspaper called the New Zealand Truth. I doubt anyone will be surprised by the description of the editor at the start of the second paragraph of this Wikipedia entry. B)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Okay! I'm confused. Nothing new there, I know.

That newspaper clipping refers to Baskiville, with an "i". There is a thread about the "Baskerville" Shield (or Cup. It's late and I'm "tired and emotional") on here. Is this the same bloke? How did he spell his name? Or is it two different blokes?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.