Rugby History Thread

Padge

Bit of a woosh moment I'm afraid there Mark, I was just jesting about old Stan's age.

I uploaded the photo from here.

Did you read the previous day's piece about Clive Sullivan's debut?

Check out the greyhound results from Craven Park in the old HDM cutting.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a PDF, rather than a conventional web page, so posting a link seems to be a bit problematic, but Google "No more bloody Bundles for Britain!", save and open the document and you will have yourself a good read.

It is about the post-WWII tours, written by Thomas Keneally.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is a PDF, rather than a conventional web page, so posting a link seems to be a bit problematic, but Google "No more bloody Bundles for Britain!", save and open the document and you will have yourself a good read.

It is about the post-WWII tours, written by Thomas Keneally.

Eh?

Eh?

My Kindle's browser doesn't like copying and pasting links, but now I'm on my laptop: http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/TomBrock/TomBrockLecture6.pdf

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

So, the original intention was for this to be a rugby history thread - so here is a tester. I've spent the Xmas period researching RL in Bury/North Manchester. Below - are the members due to play in the Manchester and District RL in summer 1914 (i.e. the structure for that winter - just as WW1 began) as reported in the Manchester Evening news at the time.

Prestwich

Mandlebergs

Rylands Recreational

Broughton Central

Wardley

Winton

Cadishead

Bradford Hornets

Pendleton

Deans Rovers

Anchor Cable

Reddish

Swinton St Marys

Flixton Hornets

Swinton Park

Cadishead A

Flixton

Bradford & Clayton

Clifton

Weaste

Seedley Rangers

The question...what happened to RL in this part of the world as i cannot find reference to many, if any, of these after this one!? Can it all be blamed on WW1?

The vast majority of sides are in what is now Salford, but a few are squarely in East Manchester (Bradford is an area of East Manchester - not just Yorkshire). And how different could it have been in this part of the world given Swinton, Broughton, and Salford were top teams and this lot sat below?

As an aside - for the real historians - does this say something about coal-mining and RL?  Most of the Salford side clubs are pit areas - even Prestwich is adjacent to Agecroft while few know that Bradford in East Manchester was also a pit area...

Edited by mmp

In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/burybroncos/

So, the original intention was for this to be a rugby history thread - so here is a tester. I've spent the Xmas period researching RL in Bury/North Manchester. Below - are the members due to play in the Manchester and District RL in summer 1914 (i.e. the structure for that winter - just as WW1 began) as reported in the Manchester Evening news at the time.

Prestwich

Mandlebergs

Rylands Recreational

Broughton Central

Wardley

Winton

Cadishead

Bradford Hornets

Pendleton

Deans Rovers

Anchor Cable

Reddish

Swinton St Marys

Flixton Hornets

Swinton Park

Cadishead A

Flixton

Bradford & Clayton

Clifton

Weaste

Seedley Rangers

The question...what happened to RL in this part of the world as i cannot find reference to many, if any, of these after this one!? Can it all be blamed on WW1?

The vast majority of sides are in what is now Salford, but a few are squarely in East Manchester (Bradford is an area of East Manchester - not just Yorkshire). And how different could it have been in this part of the world given Swinton, Broughton, and Salford were top teams and this lot sat below?

As an aside - for the real historians - does this say something about coal-mining and RL?  Most of the Salford side clubs are pit areas - even Prestwich is adjacent to Agecroft while few know that Bradford in East Manchester was also a pit area...

Anchor Cables were probably a Leigh team, Anchor Cables was what was formerly BICC, Leigh's original Ground was at Siddow Common beside the Factory. During WWII the ground was commandeered to expand the cable works. Leigh moved to Kirkhall Lane after the war.

Anchor cables was more than likely the amateur factory team that later reverted to playing union.

Some Leythers on here may know a bit more about it and could show my assumptions to be wrong.

Edit  to add:

Leigh teams played in the Wigan and District League long before Leigh was incorporated into Wigan Borough. The 1903 league consisted of:-

Ince
Wigan Highfield 
Wigan St Thomas’s
Westleigh
Leigh Rangers
Plank Lane (Leigh)
Leigh Shamrocks (Who played on another field adjacent Anchor Cables in Bridgwater St.)
Upholland
Platt Bridge
Silverwell (Wigan club that was probably the forerunner to St.Pats)
Leigh St Josephs

So it would be no suprise to find other Leigh teams in different local leagues.
Edited by Padge

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Prestwich

Mandlebergs

Rylands Recreational

Broughton Central

Wardley

Winton

Cadishead

Bradford Hornets

Pendleton

Deans Rovers

Anchor Cable

Reddish

Swinton St Marys

Flixton Hornets

Swinton Park

Cadishead A

Flixton

Bradford & Clayton

Clifton

Weaste

Seedley Rangers

Bradford may be East Manchester (end of Mancunian way?)  But Bradford and Clayton are in Yorkshire.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Bradford may be East Manchester (end of Mancunian way?)  But Bradford and Clayton are in Yorkshire.

Its the Manchester and District League (and the area next to Bradford in East Manchester is called Clayton). Just looked it up and the Bradford colliery (East Manchester - right where Manchester City now play) is referred to as being in Clayton.

Although maybe there is history in the fact that Bradford in Yorks also has a Clayton next door!

Edited by mmp

In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/burybroncos/

Clayton is an area of Manchester.

Clayton

Bradford is an area of Manchester.

Bradford

They are both in East Manchester and sit either side of the Etihad Stadium.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• 5 weeks later...

McDonald Bailey's first and last Rugby League match. At the time, he was joint holder (with Jesse Owens) of the world record for the 100 metres.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

...and here's another, shorter, video on the subject.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

A Challenge Cup draw from Leap Day 1908. Who are Castleford Half-Acre? Are they the Cas we know now, or another club?

CbWuB25W0AAukVQ.jpg

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A Challenge Cup draw from Leap Day 1908. Who are Castleford Half-Acre? Are they the Cas we know now, or another club?

CbWuB25W0AAukVQ.jpg

I believe there was another Castleford club - their first match was against Radcliffe (which was also Radcliffe's first match in the  NU 2nd tier)

Prestwich

Mandlebergs

Rylands Recreational

Broughton Central

Wardley

Winton

Cadishead

Bradford Hornets

Pendleton

Deans Rovers

Anchor Cable

Reddish

Swinton St Marys

Flixton Hornets

Swinton Park

Cadishead A

Flixton

Bradford & Clayton

Clifton

Weaste

Seedley Rangers

It is surprising how the game managed to recede, there were more sides then than now.

• 4 weeks later...

The Lancashire and Yorkshire Unions had organised themselves into leagues previous to 1895 but the Union authorities frowned upon it and eventually stepped in to put a stop to it.

In January 1895 leading figures from the Lancashire and Yorkshire clubs met in The Crown Hotel in Manchester at this meeting the decision was made to press ahead with the formation of a Northern League, The plan as far as the clubs were concerned was to have their own union under the umbrella of the RFU, it was however a very significant decision as it was when it was first proposed to have a NOrthern Union.

Following on from the decision at that meeting in Manchester representatives of all senior Lancashire and Yorkshire clubs were invited to a meeting on the 30th of January 1895 to discuss and ratify the aims of what would be a Northern Union. What the clubs wanted was control over their fixtures, broken time was a side issue.

The clubs continued to press ahead with their decision to have a Northern Union with control over fixtures, clubs in Yorkshire were the first to resign from their union followed the clubs in Lancashire. What the clubs hadn't realised was that resigning from their county unions also meant that they had resigned from the RFU, with the Northern Union already in place following first the meeting in Manchester and then the meeting in Huddersfield what happened in August 1895 was the formality of accepting clubs, many of which had little choice, into the the (Independent) Northern Union free from the shackles of the RFU.

This is a very brief synopsis of a very fluid and complex period of history of the game.

As good a synopsis as I've seen of a much more complex issue than it's often given credit for. Like all good revolutionaries they started out trying not to move too much in a certain direction and upsetting as few of the heirarchy as possible and ended up doing just the opposite.

The Founding Fathers need to be properly represented in the new museum because it takes real bottle to defy those in charge!

I have copied this over from the Museum thread so it doesn't derail the discussion by getting into a discussion of 'the split'.

CbWuB25W0AAukVQ.jpg

I don't know but what a great name and what a pity it's not still with us!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I don't know but what a great name and what a pity it's not still with us!

http://www.imaginerugby.com/rugby-clubs/halfacrearlfc/

Castleford Halfacre made me think of how imperial measures might have formed our nicknames from the start. Bushels, Pecks and Chains come to mind. Sounds like a good game to me, anyone any ideas?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Castleford Halfacre made me think of how imperial measures might have formed our nicknames from the start. Bushels, Pecks and Chains come to mind. Sounds like a good game to me, anyone any ideas?

Instead of 'Dragons', how about 'Ten Gallon Cats'?

I'll get me coat...

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Instead of 'Dragons', how about 'Ten Gallon Cats'?

I'll get me coat...

Take the peg as well, don't want you bringing it back.

Interesting article from the Independent in 1996 which points to my references that broken time was not the big issue.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/lessons-that-have-not-been-learnt-as-history-repeats-itself-1305366.html