Rugby History Thread

Padge

• 2 months later...

A link to a topic discussing the RFL, Billy Boston and apartheid has been running here. http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=291776 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The Billy Boston thread, see post above, reminded me about Newport born George Bennet, a half-back, signed by Wigan in 1930 from Weston-Super-Mare, 7 days after signing he played scrum-half and scored a try on his debut. Bennet was highly regarded and by 1933-34 season had made the Wigan Stand-Off shirt his own, that season Wigan won the Championship. The following season he scored 28 tries.

It was expected he would be selected for GB but he never was, though he was picked for Wales, debuting against France in 1935.  This made him the first black person to represent a British national team. Could Bennett's skin colour have held him back from a GB place.

In 1937 his form had dropped and he lost his place to Jack Garvey, out of favour he was transferred to Bradford for around £1,000.

He got the last laugh in 1944 when he played for the victorious Bradford team in the Challenge Cup Final against Wigan.

Edited by Padge

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This just popped up on Twitter.

CynNod6XEAU3yji.jpg

Now that's a fan!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

All Blacks to All Golds book by John Haynes published by League Publications tells you all you need to know,re Baskiville.This is the name on his birth certificate and death certificate but he chose to be called Baskerville on certain occasions,who knows why.Certainly worth a read.I assume it is still available,I have a republished version from 2007 but it was originally published in N.Z. in 1996 by Ryan and Haynes.

My wife's grandfather was Jimmy Jolley who played for Runcorn , England and GB. Scorer of the first points in test history I believe.

We have an NZ shirt, complete with blood! Also a county shirt, could be Lancashire but may be Westmoreland incredibly and A green Runcorn shirt plus caps. Now the test shirt is 1908 but the Runcorn shirt is much older and he was a breakaway original, so this has a chance this might be the oldest. Incidentally these shirts and caps ere offered to the RFL IN THE 1980' and they never even replied to the letter!

Any more info would be great as the details of his career are sketchy. We know he coached Leigh at the end of his career.

My wife's grandfather was Jimmy Jolley who played for Runcorn , England and GB. Scorer of the first points in test history I believe.

We have an NZ shirt, complete with blood! Also a county shirt, could be Lancashire but may be Westmoreland incredibly and A green Runcorn shirt plus caps. Now the test shirt is 1908 but the Runcorn shirt is much older and he was a breakaway original, so this has a chance this might be the oldest. Incidentally these shirts and caps ere offered to the RFL IN THE 1980' and they never even replied to the letter!

Any more info would be great as the details of his career are sketchy. We know he coached Leigh at the end of his career.

Just the sort of things to donate to the new RL museum which opens in Bradford in 2020... ;)

brigid.power@rlcares.org.uk

Edited by Man of Kent

Some information about Douglas Clark, war hero, champion wrestler, Cumbrian, Huddersfield great, international and coal merchant.

http://www.huddersfieldrlheritage.co.uk/Archive/Written/Players/Douglas_Clark.html

What a man.

He was James Mason's favourite Huddersfield player.

Dougie Clarks family loaned or donated (not sure which) a whole load of memorabilia to the old museum at the George hotel.

The items went on display a week before an International at the McAlpine, so went early to the game to have a look at the display. Lots of great stuff, so hopefully it made its way back to the owners, or is still in a place that can be taken forward to the new museum

I think the family of Dougie Clark are related to one of the Board members at Workington Town

Some information on Jim Colley.

1908/09 Runcorn R.L.F.C  3 England caps, 1 Wales 1908, 2 Australia 1909.3 G.B. caps 1908 all against N.Z. 

Then became Leigh,s Ist Coach.

Played for Warrington 1919/20 40 games 3 tries 5 goals.

He was one of only 18 players who dropped a goal for G.B.

Hope that helps Colly

Have you seen this film (Runcorn v St. Helens from 1901)?

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-runcorn-v-st-helens-1901-1901/

If he was a breakway original, is it possible that he is the J Jolley who played in the Lancs v Yorkshire match in 1893, which is the subject of a famous painting that is hanging in Twickenham? (the lancashire player who is between the posts)

http://www.englandrugby.com/twickenham/world-rugby-museum/rugby-history/the-ghost-in-the-painting/

Also a county shirt, could be Lancashire but may be Westmoreland incredibly

Cheshire played Lancashire & Yorkshire in the NU county championship from 1895-1904, Cumberland from 1898 & Durham & Northumberland from 1903 but I haven't seen any evidence of them playing a county game against Westmorland. Westmorland had a county Northern Union based in Windermere, with teams in Kendal etc. and did play at least one county fixture, against Lancashire at Salford in 1898, but I don't think entered the county championship.

Jonty (who I haven't seen on here for a while) has a lot of info about the Westmoreland clubs, so may have information on the county side

He's currently involved in a discussion on facebook about Ulverston.

• 4 weeks later...

1 BATLEY
2 BRADFORD
3 BRIGHOUSE
4 BROUGHTON
5 HALIFAX
6 HUDDERSFIELD
7 HULL
8 HUNSLET
9 LEEDS
10 LEIGH
11 LIVERSEDGE
12 MANNINGHAM
13 OLDHAM
14 ROCHDALE
15 RUNCORN
16 ST.HELENS
17 STOCKPORT
18 TYLDESLEY
19 WARRINGTON
20 WAKEFIELD
21 WIDNES
22 WIGAN
23 SALFORD
24 SWINTON
25 MORECAMBE
26 LEEDS PC
27 BRAMLEY
28 HOLBECK
29 HECKMONDWIKE
30 CASTLEFORD
31 MILLOM
32 BARROW
33 HULL K.R.
34 BIRKENHEAD
35 LANCASTER
36 ALTRINGHAM
37 RADCLIFFE
38 KEIGHLEY
39 YORK
40 DEWSBURY
41 NORMANTON
42 GOOLE
43 SOWERBY BRIDGE
44 SOUTH SHIELDS
45 PONTEFRACT
46 LIVERPOOL C.
47 MERTHYR
48 EBBW VALE
49 ABERDARE
50 BARRY
51 TREHERBERT
52 MID-RHONDDA
53 COVENTRY
54 ST.HELENS REC
55 FEATHERSTONE R
56 LIVERPOOL/HUYTON
57 PONTYPRIDD
58 CASTLEFORD II
59 CARLISLE CITY
60 STREATHAM & M
61 ACTON &WILLESDEN
62 NEWCASTLE
63 WORKINGTON
64 WHITEHAVEN
65 CARDIFF
66 DONCASTER
67 BLACKPOOL
68 LONDON
69 CARLISLE II
70 CARDIFF II
71 KENT
72 NOTTINGHAM
73 SHEFFIELD
74 CHORLEY/BLACKPOOL
75 SCARBOROUGH
76 PARIS
77 SOUTH WALES
78 GATESHEAD
79 NORTH LONDON
80 CELTIC
81 CATALAN
82 TOULOUSE
83 SOUTH WALES II
84 OXFORD
85 HEMEL
86 GLOUCESTERSHIRE
87 COVENTRY II
88 TORONTO

1 BATLEY

2 BRADFORD

3 BRIGHOUSE

86 GLOUCESTERSHIRE

87 COVENTRY II

88 TORONTO

Ulverston

Fleetwood

Barton

Leigh Shamrocks (different to Leigh)

Walkden

Werneth

Whitworth

Belle Vue Rangers