Rugby History Thread

Padge

8 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Some interesting pre-1895 images relating to current RL clubs.

http://www.hhtandn.org/gallery/420/1886-1897-the-great-schism

Thanks, No 16; that's very interesting. 

I am reminded that, as in Hull's case, many rugby clubs just called themselves 'football' clubs.  Indeed, elsewhere on that Hartlepool website, the references to soccer clubs and teams that I saw all described the club or competition in question as either 'association football' or simply 'association' as in 'Lightfoot Association League' (though elsewhere it is also called the 'Lightfoot Association Football League')

3 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Thanks, No 16; that's very interesting. 

I am reminded that, as in Hull's case, many rugby clubs just called themselves 'football' clubs.  Indeed, elsewhere on that Hartlepool website, the references to soccer clubs and teams that I saw all described the club or competition in question as either 'association football' or simply 'association' as in 'Lightfoot Association League' (though elsewhere it is also called the 'Lightfoot Association Football League')

Agreed. It's unclear and confusing. I have an interest in the late19th century history of 'football' in Cumberland and looking at surviving newspapers from the 1870s and 1880s it's often difficult to determine which code was being played. It wasn't until both codes started their cup competitions that things became clearer. 

• Like 1

This was the Widnes side 1962. The Chemics of my teenage years. 9 local lads here led by our late hero Frank Myler. I'm not sure that season was when  Naughton Park recorded its record crowd of around 24,000 for a midweek Challenge Cup replay against Saints. 5-5 at Knowsley Road in the rain. Alex Murphy couldn't play because of RAF duties first up. But days later on a firm Widnes field he ran riot. The outsiders in this picture were winger Chisnall sgned from Wigan but a St Helens lad as was full back Pimblett. Loose forward Major I think from Warrigton area and later signed for St Helens. Scrum half Keaveney was a transfer record signing from Salford (£4,000). His debut was in an 'A' team game midweek which drew more than 3,000. A fine player with a great side step from whatI I remember.

The Chemics struggled in the years  I started following them. They did reach a Lancashire Cup Final four years earlier losing to Leigh. Gates generally around the 3,500 dependant on big games when Wire and Wigan hosted. Our big break through came though two years later when the iconic Karalius brought the Challenge Cup home for the first time since before the Second World War. Myler played centre at Wembley against Hull KR and the only other players from the photograph here to feature were Chisnall and Thompson.

IMG_20200524_0001_NEW WIDNES 1962.jpg

Edited by audois
  • Like 2

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/05/2020 at 16:57, Number 16 said:

WTF!!!

Leeds Mercury - February 1914

mascot.jpg

i think it because if you give a monkey a cow bell all it does is f*cking ring it!!

• Haha 1

That Joseph Platt article, we have to remember was written by a contemporary in 1910, at a time when the greatest game was only 15 years old, and the rules had started to change. We talk with regularity about the great players such as wagstaffe etc. But overlook the contribution of the administrators.  This paragraph to me says it all,

" But We all know that had it not been for his enthusiasm, his clear sightedness, his courageous and inexaustable energy, the game would not have been what it is today."

Joseph Platt a son of Oldham, father of Rugby League. The greatest game.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Thanks 1

On 04/06/2020 at 14:25, Number 16 said:

Mark Cueto's grandfather?

Cueto Frank.jpg

What year is the photo from Number 16? Looks a good number of years ago

The Cueto's are well known in Maryport and their chippy was legendary. (Pattie and chips was the usual - a pattie being 2 thick slices of potato, then with minced beef in the middle like a sandwich, then the whole thing battered and deep fried)

The chippy closed a number of years ago. Antonio Cueto moved from Spain to West Cumbria and set up the chip shop business. One of his sons was Philip, and in Oct 2019 Philip Cueto passed away, and very shortly after so did his son Frank. who probably won't be the one in the photo as he was only 60

Frank may be a common name with the Cuetos, as I played rugby with a Frank Cueto in the late 1980's/early 1990's who was Mark Cuetos father

Just found this link below - Frank was Mark's great uncle. Hope it helps

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/14446843.mark-cueto-pays-emotional-visit-to-remember-uncle-frank-a-warrington-wolves-great-and-a-war-hero/

3 hours ago, shaun mc said:

What year is the photo from Number 16? Looks a good number of years ago

The Cueto's are well known in Maryport and their chippy was legendary. (Pattie and chips was the usual - a pattie being 2 thick slices of potato, then with minced beef in the middle like a sandwich, then the whole thing battered and deep fried)

The chippy closed a number of years ago. Antonio Cueto moved from Spain to West Cumbria and set up the chip shop business. One of his sons was Philip, and in Oct 2019 Philip Cueto passed away, and very shortly after so did his son Frank. who probably won't be the one in the photo as he was only 60

Frank may be a common name with the Cuetos, as I played rugby with a Frank Cueto in the late 1980's/early 1990's who was Mark Cuetos father

Just found this link below - Frank was Mark's great uncle. Hope it helps

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/14446843.mark-cueto-pays-emotional-visit-to-remember-uncle-frank-a-warrington-wolves-great-and-a-war-hero/

Fair enough, though I did pose it as a question! The photo is from the Liverpool Echo of 17/10/1937 when he signed for Warrington. 

Frank Cueto played in Cumberland's last three County Championship games before the outbreak of WW2. He was said to be one of the game's rising stars.

As the link explains during the war he was a Pilot Officer in the RAF. He married in January 1944 but only five weeks later he went missing in action on the day he was due to start leave. His body was never found. 

Cueto 1.jpg

Edited by Number 16
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Fair enough, though I did pose it as a question! The photo is from the Liverpool Echo of 17/10/1937 when he signed for Warrington. 

Frank Cueto played in Cumberland's last three County Championship games before the outbreak of WW2. He was said to be one of the game's rising stars.

As the link explains during the war he was a Pilot Officer in the RAF. He married in January 1944 but only five weeks later he went missing in action on the day he was due to start leave. His body was never found. 

Cueto 1.jpg

Good stuff. Didn't know that Frank Cueto was a County player. Possibly the only Spaniard to play for Cumberland!

Frank (or Fransisco) seems to be a common name in the family. My father went to school with a Frank Cueto who would be about 85 now if still alive and is neither of the Frank's already mentioned

References to Mark Cueto also state him as Mark John 'Frank' Cueto 

Copied this from another thread posted by rldoeswhatskysays. It's from a union magazine and tells the story of alec givvons a black Welsh player who moved north to oldham in 1933. So revered in Oldham that there's a street named after him.

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/features/36884/jackson-column-givvons-spun-them-a-golden-yarn-in-oldham/

Rugby League's lost county.

The Westmorland fifteen for the county's first and only (I think!) match. They played Lancashire on 2 March 1898 at Wheater's Field, Broughton, losing 0-15. Despite the loss, the team's competitiveness was viewed positively and compared favorably to the county's past performances in rugby union. 

Sadly, enthusiasm for Northern Union in Westmorland was short-lived and a decade or so later the game died out in the lake county.

westmorland team.jpg

Edited by Number 16

Further to Joseph Platt, son of Oldham Father of Rugby League, it was he who pursuaded the Earl of Derby to become the President of the Northern Rugby Football Union ,which then led to King George V becoming patron. 

Thus adding much respectability and peeing off the RFU at the same time. 

(Copy of the King's  letter, in Oldham RLFC the complete history 1876-1997. By Michael Turner.)

20200614_113321.jpg

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This photograph just popped up on Twitter, captioned "Two Rugby League players walking to work with some supporters". Can anyone ID names/location? Great photo.

Eaf22NjWoAcL3RO?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I just ran that through an automatic colouriser, so what the hell, why not?

oopKT7h.jpg

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 hours ago, Futtocks said:

This photograph just popped up on Twitter, captioned "Two Rugby League players walking to work with some supporters". Can anyone ID names/location? Great photo.

Eaf22NjWoAcL3RO?format=jpg&name=900x900

It could be Featherstone (Acton Hall colliery).  It was in a built up area and had a chimney.

Strangely I think I remember it from going to Post Office road.

Of course, I will be wrong!

On 14/06/2020 at 22:31, Futtocks said:

I just ran that through an automatic colouriser, so what the hell, why not?

oopKT7h.jpg

I'm sticking my neck out here, and stand to be corrected, but I don't think it's Carcassonne!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I'm sticking my neck out here, and stand to be corrected, but I don't think it's Carcassonne!

Are they trying to escape, hence why they are all wearing camouflage ?

• Haha 1

On 15/06/2020 at 10:23, Lowdesert said:

It could be Featherstone (Acton Hall colliery).  It was in a built up area and had a chimney.

Strangely I think I remember it from going to Post Office road.

Of course, I will be wrong!

If it is in West Yorkshire I would guess at Fryston or Wheldale.