Rugby History Thread

Padge

4 hours ago, corvusxiii said:

I've sampled Prosecco, Beaujolais and Black Bottle whisky. 

Triples all round. You seem very well-sampled.

4 hours ago, corvusxiii said:

I know there has to be wrestling at the tackle in order for the 10m defence time to get set 

The rulebook insists there must be no "working on the ground" after the tackle is complete. That condition is currently not being met. And in the UK of course it`s not alone.

The rules do allow defenders to slow the process before the tackle is complete. Most of the players in this game were finding the floor quickly, so with all the rules enforced the rucks were cleaner.

What I noticed was the greater depth in attacking lines. Even with a 10m offside rule.

Edited by unapologetic pedant
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, corvusxiii said:

Right then, it's year 2 million of Lockdown and it's Friday night. I've sampled Prosecco, Beaujolais and Black Bottle whisky. It's now approaching 2am but I've  managed to watch 20 odd minutes of a match that has had one penalty and one try so far. It's just so easy to watch compared to nowadays. I know there has to be wrestling at the tackle in order for the 10m defence time to get set with seemingly compulsary  random penalties but as grumpy as I am is there anyone here who think today's product is better to watch than this match?

You may well prefer today's play but to me it is tedious in comparison to what it once was.

It's now 02:03, Good Morning All.

Haven`t watched many old games, but had a look at 10 minutes of this, because of your post, and frankly I`m a little stunned, the players actually appear to want to clear the ruck, they seem more intent on getting back to the defensive line then the lingering in the play the ball that is so much part of today`s game. They release, leap to their feet and sprint off towards the defensive line, the effect on the whole spectacle is that it makes the whole game seem more flowing and even open. Fascinating.

• Like 1

The YouTube account ShaunsRugbyLeagueVids has uploaded three episodes of Vossy's Awesome 80s.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 05/03/2021 at 10:51, OriginalMrC said:

Some of you may be aware that Coventry had a Northern Union team before world war 1. Seems like a long time ago but amazingly there are links between that team and the current Coventry team. Fascinating story here from Bears President Ron Banks: 

https://www.coventrybears.com/blog/q7d6utb1ho12pqd6t13j3uork7y5df

A fascinating story that was a pleasure to read.

I have never heard the phrase 'scrum worker' for scrum half.  Does anybody know anything more about it?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I have never heard the phrase 'scrum worker' for scrum half.  Does anybody know anything more about it?

Thanks, it was Bearman from the forum here that wrote it. Gald you liked the story, I also found it fascinating. I also wondered about the scrum worker position as had never heard it before  

13 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I think the first time I heard ‘works the scrum’ was in a picture of a mate of mine playing for Woy Woy.  Would’ve been late 1980’s.  Before that, never heard it.

Great story btw.

• Thanks 2

Le stade de la Pépiniere in 1920 today Stade Albert Domec home of both USC XV and Carcassonne X111. ASC played to XV at this time losing the French  Championship Final in 1925 to USAP (Perpignan). ASC doesn't exist today after financial problems to re-start recently under the banner of Carcassonne X111 (CX111) The famous castle/CIté on the horizon too.

159846598_4031574940269883_2263536123258724035_o.jpg.18494f5cd50ebe66cb9481ba095961dd.jpg

Edited by audois
  • Like 7

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

• 6 months later...

Thought I would pop this in here. 

2 hours ago, Padge said:

Tony Collins is giving a talk at The Museum of Wigan Life on Sataurday 23rd October. The subject is one that was discussed on here a few years ago. The timing is also fortunate due to Harry Sunderland being at the heart of Tony's talk.

The talk explores how Wigan became home to black rugby players in the 1930s such as George Bennett and Roy Francis. Bennett became the first black player to play for Wales in either rugby code and Francis would become the first black player to represent Great Britain. It'’s story of inclusion, discrimination, and achievement against the odds, uniquely made possible by the sport of rugby league.

If you are interested in attending then follow the link below. Places are limited so be quick.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/when-harry-met-roy-wigan-race-rugby-league-in-the-1930s-by-tony-collins-tickets-168807903985

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• 1 month later...

It is 1975. It is Carlaw Park. It is probably muddy, then.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Does anyone have any info on the formation of the Barbarians? I know it was in Bradford but I can't remember the exact hotel. I know Tony Collins would know this. 

Yes I could Wiki it but it's still conflicting with what I thought I knew...

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Does anyone have any info on the formation of the Barbarians? I know it was in Bradford but I can't remember the exact hotel. I know Tony Collins would know this. 

Yes I could Wiki it but it's still conflicting with what I thought I knew...

Which Barbarians, the origins of the RU Barbarian team is supposedly that the idea was conceived in an oyster bar in Bradford in 1890 but there have been a few other Barbarian teams.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, Padge said:

Which Barbarians, the origins of the RU Barbarian team is supposedly that the idea was conceived in an oyster bar in Bradford in 1890 but there have been a few other Barbarian teams.

Yeah the Rugger BaBas. I know it was an oyster bar in Bradford but I can't remember which one. I did think it was the Talbot Hotel, which I think was the HQ of Bradford FC....but now I aren't so sure. 🤔

5 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Yeah the Rugger BaBas. I know it was an oyster bar in Bradford but I can't remember which one. I did think it was the Talbot Hotel, which I think was the HQ of Bradford FC....but now I aren't so sure. 🤔

The idea was said to have come from a late night dinner at Leuchters Restaurant run by a Prussian.

Edited by Padge

15 hours ago, Johnoco said:

They were formed in the oyster bar in the Alexander Hotel (now flattened) down Great Horton Road

5 hours ago, Womer said:

They were formed in the oyster bar in the Alexander Hotel (now flattened) down Great Horton Road

Thanks, I think this is the definite answer now. 

Incidentally, I used to go in a bar in the basement of that place (Vaults Bar) occasionally for gigs. Obviously now flattened. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Padge, is this correct?

Which bit the exhibition or Wigan's start date,

Wigan rugby club was formed 21st November 1872 at  the Royal Hotel, Standishgate by mostly members of Wigan Cricket club who wanted a winter sport to play.

3 hours ago, Padge said:

Which bit the exhibition or Wigan's start date,

Wigan rugby club was formed 21st November 1872 at  the Royal Hotel, Standishgate by mostly members of Wigan Cricket club who wanted a winter sport to play.

Is that the same Wigan club as the current one?

19 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Is that the same Wigan club as the current one?

Yes, it was formed on that date it merged with Up Holland when they struggled for players in 1876 and changed the name to Wigan & district football club to identify with that merger. Towards the end of 1878/79 season they failed to finish their last few games due to the number of injuries. In September 1879 some of the players and officials decided to carry on with the new season and changed the name again to Wigan Wasps who bizarrely played in blue and white hoops.

Although the club got off to a bit of a staggered start, moving between grounds, Upper Dicconson Street, Prescot Street and Springfield Park before settling in at Central Park, it was the same club that is today the Wigan Warriors.

21 hours ago, Padge said:

Yes, it was formed on that date it merged with Up Holland when they struggled for players in 1876 and changed the name to Wigan & district football club to identify with that merger. Towards the end of 1878/79 season they failed to finish their last few games due to the number of injuries. In September 1879 some of the players and officials decided to carry on with the new season and changed the name again to Wigan Wasps who bizarrely played in blue and white hoops.

Although the club got off to a bit of a staggered start, moving between grounds, Upper Dicconson Street, Prescot Street and Springfield Park before settling in at Central Park, it was the same club that is today the Wigan Warriors.

Hi Padge.  Your reply seems to suggest that you think the current Wigan Warriors are a continuation of the club formed in 1872.  I think it's pretty clear this isn't the case, and unless you have some different evidence to what I've seen, I don't think your summary of what happened towards the end of 1878/79 & the formation of Wasps is correct.

This website (www.earlywiganrugby.co.uk) is excellent, and comprehensively covers the topic.  Despite the odd slip up reference to being formed in 1872, it's clear that this club disbanded, and Wasps were a new club.  The current Wigan club was formed in 1879, and I think it's extremely disappointing that the club, seemingly aware of this, continues to push its formation as 1872, which to me seems a re-writing of history.

Edited by Neil_Ormston
Missed link to website!
  • Like 4

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com