Rugby History Thread

Padge

• 3 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

A Wiganer leading the way again.

Hinchcliffe (especially) and McCartney (a Scot) deserve a lot of credit for their part in this fight.

McCartney was a regular on the Popular Side terrace at Central Park no poncing about in the stands for Ian.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I also think that players like Ady Spencer who was banned playing union for Cambridge Uni as he'd already played League, kept it in the limelight, as it brought the hypocrisy to wider news outlets than just the M62. As well as the Armed Forces players fighting for their right to play the game

23 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Okay, that was a trailer, apparently. The full thing is 30 minutes long and has just been uploaded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's only 32 years ago but this article, by Roger Halstead in the Oldham evening chronicle, gives you an understanding of what was happening during the transition from being a member's club to a plc that would soon be a superleague club. Look at the figures, but also look at the mindset of the directors!!!? No wonder we are where we are now. For some clubs it paid off but not for Oldham. 😢

received_299083502203400.jpeg

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

The BBC have released on-line loads of old content from their archives as part of their 100 years celebrations.

Here is one: Hull FC v Hull KR

Edited by Padge
  • Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• 1 month later...
On 27/01/2022 at 18:33, Futtocks said:

Okay, that was a trailer, apparently. The full thing is 30 minutes long and has just been uploaded.

Just watched. Really really good and an excellent ambassador for the sport, and no sign at all of the traditional chip on the shoulder. Well done.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Futtocks said:

1985 Kiwis vs Kangaroos Game 1 (NZ Commentary)

I’m sure Granada TV in the mid - 80s ( with Elton Welsby ) used to show highlights of International RL,

Channel 4 also had a highlights programme of a Aussie GF , think the match was Parramatta and Manly ( 82/83 ish )

• 5 months later...

Previous tributes have been off what look like second-hand VHS tapes, so this tribute to Noa Nadruku, who pioneered a Fijian presence in the Australian game, is well overdue (and pretty damn good).

Yes, I know that the British game was decades ahead in this respect, but that's the way things worked out.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 months later...

The apparently endless wellspring of RL footage, ShaunsRugbyLeagueVids, serves up another treat.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 months later...

Leaving aside the oddity of combining the two codes' figures in the footnotes (especially considering RU's notoriously fictional attendance claims), this is a mildly interesting historical snapshot.

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Leaving aside the oddity of combining the two codes' figures in the footnotes (especially considering RU's notoriously fictional attendance claims), this is a mildly interesting historical snapshot.

Combining them really is an oddity, because it doesn't consider that people watching and reading reports could be the same people double counted.

Playing too to a lesser extent (and watching live) - Because that would have had to be done surreptitiously to avoid the union authorities finding out

This just appeared on my YouTube homepage. Because this is Fijian TV, it's a bit "Goddy", but the Canberra legend looks pretty good for his age and it's a good-natured chat.

For the impatient among us, he starts talking about switching code about halfway through.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 minutes ago, ehbandit said:

Does anyone know if the Play the ball was developed from American footballs ‘snap back’ which is when the ball is played with the foot after a tackle backwards to the quarterback. This was in use before 1895.

No idea but it was 1906 when the PTB was introduced. 

• Like 1

I'm sure I read somewhere that the PTB started out as some kind of two man scrum with the ball on the floor and both tackled player and tackler standing to try and hook it back.

Makes sense because the marker was allowed to strike for the ball right up until the 1990s.....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the PTB started out as some kind of two man scrum with the ball on the floor and both tackled player and tackler standing to try and hook it back.

Makes sense because the marker was allowed to strike for the ball right up until the 1990s.....

It would also make sense because before the ptb every tackle resulted in a mini scrum. It was felt the ball was hidden from the crowd too much and it was taking too long so the ptb was introduced. 

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

It would also make sense because before the ptb every tackle resulted in a mini scrum. It was felt the ball was hidden from the crowd too much and it was taking too long so the ptb was introduced. 

A scrum after every tackle.

That were proper rugby.

Game's gone.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

A scrum after every tackle.

That were proper rugby.

Game's gone.

Quite right, Mark, m'lad.

Rot set in when they started giving points for a try!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Quite right, Mark, m'lad.

Rot set in when they started giving points for a try!

Haven't you heard? They've finally scrapped that nonsense and it's points points for LED advertising boardings and social media engagement. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3