NZ series ticket sales latest news

Scubby

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@EnglandRL just tweeted the DW is sold out for the 3rd test

we're gonna go really close to reaching 100,000 for the series

What's the official capacity of the DW stadium? Makes you wonder what kind of crowds we could have got for the 1st and 3rd test if they were held at st.james park, etihad, elland rd etc.

@EnglandRL just tweeted the DW is sold out for the 3rd test

we're gonna go really close to reaching 100,000 for the series

Can still buy 4 tickets together at DW so isn't sold out yet, but is obviously close if willing to make announcements like this. Hopefully this can generate some more momentum to push up the crowd for Saturday. Promises to be the biggest rugby league event of the year and I can't wait.

Sean OLoughlin just been on Chris Evans breakfast show, 10million ish listeners

Heard this this morning, good effort from the sports guy who really gave him a big build up. Chris Evans didn't refer to it though, which was a bit disappointing as he was fawning all over the union boys. And he's from league land!

errr.........is it scaramanga?

If that is correct then it is ridiculous to put out a tweet saying it is sold out. Anyone seeing that won't bother logging on to try and buy

To announce this, they obviously have so few tickets left that they don't think there's a risk of not being easily able to sell the last few. Presumably the marketing men think it's worth it to try and generate some more buzz for Saturday.

DW is about 24000 I think. We didn't sell out the first test so not sure we would have got many more of we had risked a big stadium, especially one that would require travel

But we are going to go close to getting double what we got in hull for the test in London which goes to prove that people like an event held in a major city and at a world class stadium. Maybe more people would have been inspired to attend the 1st test in Newcastle rather than hull. I just hope the RFL have a plan on spreading the game in the north east beyond the magic weekend which was a big success and holding the 1st test in Newcastle is a opportunity lost IMHO.

To announce this, they obviously have so few tickets left that they don't think there's a risk of not being easily able to sell the last few. Presumably the marketing men think it's worth it to try and generate some more buzz for Saturday.

I think this might be it.  The England RL tweet advising of the sell out also promoted the line that the only way now to see England play the Kiwis is to buy a ticket for London.  This may be a push simply to try and sell the remaining tickets at Olympic Park.

I think the point about the audience for games in NZ is well made. It will be fascinating to see how big the World cup will be over there. I can only see the appetite for the international side of our game continuing to grow and grow, as we realise what works. Post 2000 we had a horrible period of retrenchment, but gradually we have come blinking into the light and realised that the audience is still there.

I also think that the democratising effect of social media is going to be increasingly helpful to our game. Any of us can now help sell the game and challenge deliberate or accidental "misconceptions". I am guessing that clever marketing can be done relatively cheaply and effectively. Near 100k for this series is a fantastic effort, and a great launch pad for future tours and competitions. We will get into a virtuous circle whereby we make more money as we grow, which we can then invest in more marketing and better stadia each time. Step by step.

There is a further benefit in having a strong international game played in good places before big crowds, and that is player retention. I want our boys to be excited about the international opportunities that they can enjoy in our game - they deserve that - and there will come a point I hope where players will want to play, and stay because of the glamour and glory of our international game. Then we will all be better off.

I think there is more chance of cheese rolling overtaking association football than our being the bigger rugby code, but we can and must aspire to a position where we are respected and able to develop and retain our players. Giving our players the chance to play in big stadia, before big crowds, having been in a top class training camp will ensure that they feel valued, and ensure we can thrive in our own niche way. There is a lot to like and a lot to be hopeful about for the future of TGG.

Exiled Wiganer....

Your comment

'I also think that the democratising effect of social media is going to be increasingly helpful to our game'

This is spot on, since the advent of social media its harder than ever for the media to force opinions and control content

Single twitter users have the power to reach bigger audience's that major papers or TV stations, Rugby League is benefitting more than most from this

23 + 25 +51 (assuming the OS sells out) is still only 99 ;).

Remember it was 23 526 at the KC, which would be 24 if we're rounding to nearest 1000s. A sold out DW is slightly more than 25, too.

Archived