"Movement!"

Most of the referee's calls are straightforward to interpret:

“Play the ball!” means “there have been at least three offences there, but if I stop the game now, I'll spoil my reputation for letting the game flow.”

“Hold!” means “you are all in front of me, technically offside, but if I give penalties I'll not get the big games.”

“Wait!” means “you've set off before the ball has been played, and I'm having to step forward with you to avoid giving penalties.”

“Wait! Wait! Wait!” means you've set off particularly early and I'm having to sprint to keep up with you , in order to avoid giving a penalty.

“Go!” means “you've already gone.”

“Move!”, often with a name attached - “Move, Liam!” - generally uttered before the tackle is complete, is an interesting one. It creates the illusion that the referee is in total control, so that when penalties are given - judiciously or sporadically, depending on your point of view - and absolutely crucial to the outcome of the game, they can be received with approval and acclaim.

But what is the purpose of “Movement!”? It's a noun, not a verb, so not an instruction, or a suggestion, or a request, or a plea. Semantically, what is the point of “Movement!”?

Do I have to apologise for an apparently negative and non-celebratory point of view? It's rare now to experience the thrill of a touring team. I've looked forward to it for a long time, and we may not see too many more. It's an enormous disappointment to me that a potentially exciting and entertaining side like the Kiwis were suffocated in attack by a persistently offside defence, sanctioned and encouraged by the referee.

And if the game needs to be orchestrated and choreographed – and it does: it no longer works if the rules are applied – at least take the microphone off the referee and spare the television spectators the increasingly unavoidable parallels with WWF.

It's the same as "move" but is more distinguishable from the other commands.

It is grammatically odd thought.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I do think it might be more enjoyable on the TV if the ref mic was switched off and that the TV company can then just switch it on for the replays of when something interesting is happening. Hearing the ref sometimes makes the crowd sound a bit quiet as well!!!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

The rot set in when referees started calling players by their first names!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Most of the referee's calls are straightforward to interpret:

“Play the ball!” means “there have been at least three offences there, but if I stop the game now, I'll spoil my reputation for letting the game flow.”

“Hold!” means “you are all in front of me, technically offside, but if I give penalties I'll not get the big games.”

“Wait!” means “you've set off before the ball has been played, and I'm having to step forward with you to avoid giving penalties.”

“Wait! Wait! Wait!” means you've set off particularly early and I'm having to sprint to keep up with you , in order to avoid giving a penalty.

“Go!” means “you've already gone.”

“Move!”, often with a name attached - “Move, Liam!” - generally uttered before the tackle is complete, is an interesting one. It creates the illusion that the referee is in total control, so that when penalties are given - judiciously or sporadically, depending on your point of view - and absolutely crucial to the outcome of the game, they can be received with approval and acclaim.

But what is the purpose of “Movement!”? It's a noun, not a verb, so not an instruction, or a suggestion, or a request, or a plea. Semantically, what is the point of “Movement!”?

Do I have to apologise for an apparently negative and non-celebratory point of view? It's rare now to experience the thrill of a touring team. I've looked forward to it for a long time, and we may not see too many more. It's an enormous disappointment to me that a potentially exciting and entertaining side like the Kiwis were suffocated in attack by a persistently offside defence, sanctioned and encouraged by the referee.

And if the game needs to be orchestrated and choreographed – and it does: it no longer works if the rules are applied – at least take the microphone off the referee and spare the television spectators the increasingly unavoidable parallels with WWF.

Hey Purston Javelin, you don't live in Bedford Close do you? I ask because I used to work with a bloke who lived in Bedford Close, Purston - not Fev as he always reminded me.

Every week he would watch the televised SL games and no matter how great the game was, he would nutpick - oops I mean nitpick but them again he might have enjoyed nutpicking - about how a single reffing issue would ruin the game, his weekend, and blame it all on Uncle Mo'.

I really don't like hearing the ref the whole way through the game - it's the worst thing about modern coverage. I like the NFL's way of doing it - the ref only turns his mic on when he is explaining a penalty. I'm not saying that RL should do exactly the same - there aren't as many breaks in play as in the NFL. But there could be someone on the TV crew who can flick a switch to determine when we can and can't hear the ref. 

I really don't like hearing the ref the whole way through the game - it's the worst thing about modern coverage. I like the NFL's way of doing it - the ref only turns his mic on when he is explaining a penalty. I'm not saying that RL should do exactly the same - there aren't as many breaks in play as in the NFL. But there could be someone on the TV crew who can flick a switch to determine when we can and can't hear the ref.

Didn't they try that with video referee decisions one year? It gradually fizzled out!
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

I do think it might be more enjoyable on the TV if the ref mic was switched off and that the TV company can then just switch it on for the replays of when something interesting is happening. Hearing the ref sometimes makes the crowd sound a bit quiet as well!!!

I don't like to disagree with my Odsal bretheren, but I'd have to say that I prefer to hear the referees during the TV matches.  It helps with understanding what's going on as opposed to what we think is going on.  You can also appreciate the difference in the relationship between various referees and the players.  Thaler and Silverwood in particular seem to be able to gel with the game and players.  Hicks, Child and Roby, to name but three, go about their business very differently.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

I don't like to disagree with my Odsal bretheren, but I'd have to say that I prefer to hear the referees during the TV matches. It helps with understanding what's going on as opposed to what we think is going on. You can also appreciate the difference in the relationship between various referees and the players. Thaler and Silverwood in particular seem to be able to gel with the game and players. Hicks, Child and Roby, to name but three, go about their business very differently.

You're right, we should stick together! If they do switch the ref mic off just record yourself saying 'moooooooooove' and play it on repeat. If it's a Saints game just intersperse it with some recordings of 'whinge noises' when the players give away a penalty and then surround the ref!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Archived