Fake programmes

A thread here about fake soccer programmes:

http://www.footballprogrammecentre.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123077#123077

I wonder if this has ever happened in RL?

Perhaps there's not the market.

I do remember the 1979 cup final programme having a very nice repro of the 1929 final inserted. An unscrupulous seller might pass one of those off as original maybe.

In the 1950's there were 'Pirate' programmes about covering the Challenge Cup and Championship Finals such as

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hull-v-Workington-1957-58-Championship-Final-Pirate-Souvenir-Programme-/281719556525?hash=item4197cb49ad:g:TX0AAOSwpdpVZ0DM

There are another 7 Pirate progs on ebay dated between 1946 and 1961

tends to be finals from the 1940s and 1950s with pirate editions. 

sometimes an old bound volume issue has a new cover added which i don't mind but i know some who won't touch them.

there was someone selling reproduction covers for the 1929 final - bizarre unless it;s for a frame!

i assume early single sheets or postponed  games could be copied but if you know your club and there's no programme, then there's no programme! Having a fake copy or made up single sheet is pointless as it never existed in the first place.

Seems football has more gullible collectors or idiots who'll fork out on tat knocked up on  laser printer!!!

ps - anyone want a "genuine" lunch menu from the 1895 meeting at the George Hotel Huddersfield!!   :biggrin:

signed by all teams in biro...

I think Pirate programmes, which were sold at the games but were inferior and unlicensed products, are a legit trading area. Those progs, though not official, are from the actual match and have the same age as their official contempories. I believe some of the CCF final pirates were actually cobbled together by a newspaper (?).

That's really not the same as 1. making stuff up that simply doesn't exist or 2. reprinting something and calling it original.

As DJ 69 says the early single sheets can be reproduced with no effort.

Recently I bought what I'd describe as a 'rare' single sheet from 1970 (never seen one in 30 years) - how do I know its genuine, except if its marked with teams/scorers and is grubby and they 'look' the same age-wise, then you may not want it anyway if its too grubby. The better condition the better......but then you may get a fake

• 3 months later...

generally speaking fakes would not cary the words 'official programme' because that would be illegal and leave the producer orsellor open to prosecution. Usually the fakes carrid the words souvenir programme. However not all official programmes carried the word official and for particulalrynoticeable games they often used the words souvenir, just to confuse things further. But if you have one saying official it is highly likely it is the real programme for the game

Archived