Brian Wrigglesworth R.I.P

Maureen T-k

It's with great sadness that I've heard of the death of former rovers favourite and challenge cup medal winner Brian Wrigglesworth. condolences to the family

Im Fev and im proud

a sad day. condolences to the family

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

I can well remember Brian as a stand out player of the early sixties when he was stand off at unfashionable Bramley. I think he played for Yorkshire but the first time he made a huge impression on me was in a testimonial match at P.O.Road, it could have been for Don Fox's or Joe Mullaney's benefit? It was a game between Rovers and a Rugby League Select 13. If I remember correctly Rovers were well beaten and Wriggy was the star o the show. 4 or 5 years later he moved to Rovers and I believe he initially played stand off but then moved to centre. He had an outstanding game against Neil Fox & co. when we beat Wakefield at home in the 2nd round of the 1967 cup run. I can still remember his break down the left channel that created the match winning try, but without looking it up can't remember who scored it? Then he was moved to full back and played there at Wembley where he pulled off that fantastic try saving tackle on GB winger Bill Burgess. I believe it later transpired he had been playing for quite a while with a broken neck, maybe in the cup final?

Fantastic player, true legend at both Bramley and Featherstone. RIP Brian. Condolences to the family.

So sad to hear about my old coach and team mate Brian what a great guy, we had a great A team 71/72, went 14 wins on the trot and won the league final under him always had us laughing with his wit and humour will miss him and Cyril K great guys all my deepest sympathy to Brian's family gutted.

chappy

I think the player who scored following Brian's break in the second round against Wakefield was Gary Jordan.

I also think Rovers actually signed him from Hull K R where he had a short spell.

Lets not forget, Featherstone Rovers is a RUGBY club.

Archived