Rain, rain and more rain

33 minutes ago, henage said:

Nothing , its weather 

You've changed your tune, Marvin. :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 year later...

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...
1 hour ago, M j M said:

So here on the Leeds/Bradford border it's bone dry. I know it doesn't rain so much here compared to the other side of the hill but has some mega storm just bypassed the real RL heartlands?

SW Scotland and Cumbria are (apparently, it's outside the southeast so not on the news) getting a month's worth of rain in a day?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, shaun mc said:

Well that was a wet 24 hours, and there's more to come

Honister Pass in the Lakes reported 307mm rain in 24 hours. For context, the all time record is 341mm

how selfish - they already have lots of lakes in that district which i am assuming are full of rain water already- share some of it with the rest of the country like Drybrook in Gloucestershire for example which by the sounds of it need a drop or 2 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

how selfish - they already have lots of lakes in that district which i am assuming are full of rain water already- share some of it with the rest of the country like Drybrook in Gloucestershire for example which by the sounds of it need a drop or 2 

Its only 3 - 4 weeks ago that Haweswater reservoir was so low that parts of the village of Mardale that was flooded when the reservoir was created, became visible again

1 minute ago, shaun mc said:

Its only 3 - 4 weeks ago that Haweswater reservoir was so low that parts of the village of Mardale that was flooded when the reservoir was created, became visible again

did they check the plug? the chain came off ours and we are forever losing it!

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

You don't know how lucky you actually are:  "You do not have to shovel rain."

Comparisons with another countries climate and 'normal' rainfall are pointless

The key is how its changing from normal. We receive more rain in a shorter space of time

The recent weather events have been described as 'once in 500 years events' (or another numeric such as 1000), but in this part of the world we've had 5 so far this century

On 28/10/2021 at 14:24, gingerjon said:

SW Scotland and Cumbria are (apparently, it's outside the southeast so not on the news) getting a month's worth of rain in a day?

1800 BBC news the flooding in Cumbria and parts of Scotland was second to last item , then the usual '' and finally''.

• 4 weeks later...

There has been so many trees blown down overnight, it'll give the climate change deniers a platform not to plant any trees

(currently out of 6 routes out of town 5 are blocked by fallen trees)

i am quite worried about the trees in our garden-since  there weren't any there when i went to bed! -and the wheelie bin has to go on a speed awareness course next week 

• 2 months later...

Probably best to stay home this evening, eh?

Unless you think Storm Eunice is a scare story put about by Big Meteorology to restrict your freedoms, of course.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived