Rain, rain and more rain

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Ullman said:

Wind speeds forecast to be around 75-80mph along the Holderness coast at that time.

On the plus side it's blowing offshore but I still think I'd bin it off, mate.

Na , be fine . No swell , might even be able to get the bait out a bit further . Fishing tide down as I had a mechanical prob with van .

35 minutes ago, henage said:

Na , be fine . No swell , might even be able to get the bait out a bit further . Fishing tide down as I had a mechanical prob with van .

Now that's what I call taking the positives.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I was certainly expecting it to be worse up here than it was.

I have a 40 min drive over the Mersey Gateway and as a result was allowed to go home at about 2. I didn't feel anything much tbh. Had I not seen the news, I daresay I wouldn't have thought of it as particularly newsworthy.

I was almost a bit disappointed. It was like a boxer who has prepared for a brutal 12 rounder and KOs the guy in the first round. Obviously, I was relieved to have got home safely, but I felt like I'd been robbed of the dramatic and treacherous journey home.

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I was certainly expecting it to be worse up here than it was.

I have a 40 min drive over the Mersey Gateway and as a result was allowed to go home at about 2. I didn't feel anything much tbh. Had I not seen the news, I daresay I wouldn't have thought of it as particularly newsworthy.

I was almost a bit disappointed. It was like a boxer who has prepared for a brutal 12 rounder and KOs the guy in the first round. Obviously, I was relieved to have got home safely, but I felt like I'd been robbed of the dramatic and treacherous journey home.

In California, two storms turned out to be nothing at all, until I realised they had come that that was it. They were just not used to wind and rain.

On the other hand, I relised that the reason my car was so dirty in the morning was that it was covered in soot in forest fire season. They were used to that.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

16 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I felt like I'd been robbed of the dramatic and treacherous journey home.

Nothing dramatic round here but lots of small bits of damage - fences down, some walls down, a few roofs missing tiles, trees down in the road (but everyone safe) and rail lines blocked. Everyone lost power for a few hours (different folk at different times).

I think the fact that everyone prepared made it an anti climax. If we hadn't then those trees in particular, given they fell on main roads, could have been serious. And nobody was surprised by the power cuts either so everyone just got on with things.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Nothing dramatic round here but lots of small bits of damage - fences down, some walls down, a few roofs missing tiles, trees down in the road (but everyone safe) and rail lines blocked. Everyone lost power for a few hours (different folk at different times).

I think the fact that everyone prepared made it an anti climax. If we hadn't then those trees in particular, given they fell on main roads, could have been serious. And nobody was surprised by the power cuts either so everyone just got on with things.

I joke about it now, but I was seriously concerned going out to work in the morning, thinking I maybe shouldn't be going in. My journey home is a 40 minute drive through windy country roads and a trip over the Mersey Gateway.

It didn't help that I've been driving before and felt the wind move my car quite significantly; I thought it was going to like that but much worse. Turns out my current car clearly isn't as susceptible to movement as my old box on wheels.

Properly brutal out there again right now.

Seeing reports - not national media *obvs* - of serious looking flooding in Manchester and Sheffield?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived