Bower Fold Stalybridge

Dennyroughyed

Here's a bit of trivia for you.  

Stalybridge Celtic are in the same soccer league as Bradford Park Avenue.  The original Bradford FC, a Northern Union club, split in 1907.  A number of its members wanted to emulate Manningham, who became Bradford City, and convert from playing rugby to association football.  After the split Bradford Northern (think Northern Union) was born and the remainder of the Bradford FC club formed Bradford Park Avenue to play soccer.

So next season, both halves of the former Bradford FC club will be playing at Bower Fold, one playing soccer, one playing rugby league. :) 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a detailed transport options thread needs to be created. Like weekend unlimted metrolink teavel cards, system 1 cards, train, bus options ect. The whole shebang. So people know they can get to this ground from whichever direction they may come from. Oldham RLFC won't do this, so it's down to fan power.

daves yer man, with his bank of incredi-computers like NASA control!!

What's the pub situation like around Bower Fold?

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

Chairman Rob Gorski on the Celtic's Forums:

I have long said to the board that we need to "sweat the asset" that is Stalybridge Celtic, much more. In simple terms, we cannot simply use the place once every two weeks. We need to have a new social club that, ideally, will be 2 stories high where we can rent it out several days a week, we need to utilise the lounge more often and so on. Similarly, we need to look at optimising the pitch itself. 

With that in mind, I am delighted to announce that 2016 will see us have a ground share - with a difference! Commencing Sunday 7th February, we shall be hosting the home games for Oldham Rugby League Club. This will continue until the end of the rugby league season, which is September.

Oldham's Chairman, Chris Hamilton, rang me a couple of weeks ago explaining their situation and although, after SIX failed attempts to gain promotion to the Championship, they finally succeeded last season, they still needed a Championship graded ground to play in. For those of you with longer memories, you will recall Oldham hosting St. Helens at our ground in 2002 with over 4,000 watching. We hope that Oldham can enjoy many more great days at Bower Fold in the months ahead. 

I have discussed the whole concept with Liam and, being a very commercially astute guy, he sees the bigger picture and is right behind the new partnership. Rugby league does not have contested scrums where union player did deep in to the surface and they use tees now for conversions too. Moreover, we play on the Saturday, then Oldham on the Sunday and so Pete Owens, our brilliant groundsman, will actually have 12 days to get the pitch ready for our next home game

Financially, it is much needed revenue and we cannot turn away this opportunity. I think that it is great for the club and for local fans, it's also an opportunity to watch Championship level rugby league with teams like the Bradford Bulls coming to visit. 

I wish Chris and Oldham RLFC all the very best for the season ahead and look forward to further developing the partnership with Oldham.

it's probably a good idea to pick the brains of Stalybridge Celtic supporters on pre match entertainment. I hope Oldham could do a promotional offer on tickets to Stalybridge Celtic supporters.

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

Club was on life support anyway. This is not the death knell but the opposite. Remember the superleague years, the club were targeting tameside as potential growth. One fan on the celtic forum has even said that he was thinking of getting a wigan season ticket now he'll be considering getting a Roughyed ticket.

And me, I wouldn't go to Whitebank unless it became a proper Rugby League ground. I'm seriously considering getting myself a season ticket. Why not? Just bought the Mrs some "Hug" boots, £160 quid, they weigh the same as a lucky bag. So £180 quid for a season ticket to watch pro Rugby League in a proper stadium is a bargain for me, unlike the well, overpriced blinkin "Hug" boots.

​​ 

​                       

​                        

I joined their forum to say hello.  The anti-spam question is a killer, it's 3pm :)

The only thing most football fans are concerned about when Rugby is played on their pitch is the state it will be left in.

Most of em don't understand that Rugby League is less destructive than Association Football, and it doesn't compare to Rugby Union. Once they understand this, they'll be very welcoming.

​​ 

​                       

​                        

Just been looking at trains stopping at Stalybridge train station. It looks very busy. There appear to be trains stopping there every 20 minutes. Its also accessible from Yorkshire as well as Manchester and its connections. People living in Uppermill, Greenfield ect have a train station on this line.

My route will be 17 metrolink stops, hop on the train at Ashton to Stalybridge or Metrolink and get the train from Victoria or Piccadilly.

Next thing I need to do is gen-up on the players. I haven't a clue who is who.

​​ 

​                       

​                        

Without commenting on whether Stalybridge is a good choice the interesting part of the Celtic Chairman's statement is that CH rang him a couple of weeks ago.

Does this mean that there was nothing in place before then and how does that square with RFL requirements being met?

As regards the RFL I contacted the two people most concerned with ORLFC affairs some months ago to discuss this and other matters on behalf of Rugby Oldham Supporters Trust. I had an acknowledgement that my letters had been received but despite the promised follow up no-one has come back to us. Basic courtesy demands some contact even if it's only to say they can't discuss anything.

So the outcome of efforts by Rugby Oldham to help/ get involved is:- Christopher Hamilton-not interested; Simon Corney-not interested; the RFL-not interested. Only Jim McMahon had the decency to explain things clearly.

Just thought I'd let everyone know so we're not accused of being hostile/uninvolved/indifferent. 

Without commenting on whether Stalybridge is a good choice the interesting part of the Celtic Chairman's statement is that CH rang him a couple of weeks ago.

Does this mean that there was nothing in place before then and how does that square with RFL requirements being met?

As regards the RFL I contacted the two people most concerned with ORLFC affairs some months ago to discuss this and other matters on behalf of Rugby Oldham Supporters Trust. I had an acknowledgement that my letters had been received but despite the promised follow up no-one has come back to us. Basic courtesy demands some contact even if it's only to say they can't discuss anything.

So the outcome of efforts by Rugby Oldham to help/ get involved is:- Christopher Hamilton-not interested; Simon Corney-not interested; the RFL-not interested. Only Jim McMahon had the decency to explain things clearly.

Just thought I'd let everyone know so we're not accused of being hostile/uninvolved/indifferent. 

The best thing that RO can do is build up a significant war chest of funds, and watch CH squirm.

Here's a bit of trivia for you.  

Stalybridge Celtic are in the same soccer league as Bradford Park Avenue.  The original Bradford FC, a Northern Union club, split in 1907.  A number of its members wanted to emulate Manningham, who became Bradford City, and convert from playing rugby to association football.  After the split Bradford Northern (think Northern Union) was born and the remainder of the Bradford FC club formed Bradford Park Avenue to play soccer.

So next season, both halves of the former Bradford FC club will be playing at Bower Fold, one playing soccer, one playing rugby league. :)

you need to get out more

Archived