Sports England - Active People survey

Who is saying that Hybrids of the full game should not be utilised to build the game ?

My point is does the use of hybrid formats enhance the full game other than possibly putting more bums on seats at pro games ?

There has to be a value for the whole game solution ?

Depends what is meant by 'build the game' and 'the whole game'. The game is not just a relatively small cohort playing 13 aside full contact - 'the game' is internationals watched by tens of thousands who might never play, it is more bums on seats (or stood) at SL, Championship, and amateur club matches, and it is more playing at whatever form is best for their circumstances and lifestyle. It is also more people involved in some way for longer (disposable income amongst 40+ yr olds is very much higher than less than 26 yr olds and we really haven't done enough to keep the older age group involved more), and is also about simply making more people aware that RL exists.  Add to that the history of the game, its values, and simply what it means to those of us who love it and you have to think that RL is more than 13 aside full contact game playing. 

I can't see a downside of having more people involved...as that delivers a whole game solution.

Hybrid forms are not therefore about getting more people into full contact 13 aside - they are an alternative format that allows MORE people to be involved with RL.

So yes - hybrid forms absolutely build the game. If they put more bums on seats that's good (and why shouldn't we want more watching the pro game if we want whole game solutions?!). If it keeps people (especially older people with more disposable income) involved in some form of playing and club environment, then it's a good thing. If it means more people come into contact with the sport full stop, then its a good thing. If it helps some transition into 13 aside contact, then that's also a good thing. The point is we need more people involved irrespective of circumstances. 

In my view, yes, full contact 13 aside is the pinnacle playing form - but it shouldn't be seen as the only form and hybrids are about the MORE people who for whatever reason, can't (or don't want) to play the full contact 13 aside form.

In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/burybroncos/

The government has published it's new sports strategy this morning. I've not read into the detail of it as yet, but it sees a shift from funding (primarily) 14-25 year olds to funding from 5 years up and upwards. I'd imagine that would be welcomed and, depending on how it changes funding to the NGBs,may be beneficial to clubs wanting to grow their junior sections.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

The government has published it's new sports strategy this morning. I've not read into the detail of it as yet, but it sees a shift from funding (primarily) 14-25 year olds to funding from 5 years up and upwards. I'd imagine that would be welcomed and, depending on how it changes funding to the NGBs,may be beneficial to clubs wanting to grow their junior sections.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/12054684/UK-government-will-order-FA-RFU-and-ECB-to-get-more-primary-school-children-playing-sport.html

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Having read much of it, my first impression is quite positive.

The shift to supporting 5yrs + is good and the continued support for non-Olympic sports at elite level (like rugby league) is encouraging. It also recognises that a new monitoring system, more robust, relevant and up-to-date than Active People, is essential and that preparations are already underway for this. Given that there is a slight increase in Sport England exchequer investment for 2017-21, and a significant increase in investment to UK Sport in the Rio-Tokyo period, there are certainly opportunities. RFL initiatives, supported by the ambitious SkyTry programme, are possibly well-placed to benefit.

Plus, the document includes two rugby league photographs.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

Interesting now to see if the RFL officially recognise the year on year growth in our region and actually acknowledge the hard work of our member clubs .

We have increased active participation at u 7 s from 12 teams in 2012 to 63 teams in 2015 with over 1000 kids registered this season .

And our Cubs program is bursting at the seams at most clubs with several clubs reporting Cubs groups at 40+ each club .

The Active People Survey Many respondents commented that the approach taken by the Active People Survey, used by Sport England to measure participation in sport and physical activity, meant that much physical and/or sporting activity was not being accurately captured. Many called for a more modern approach to collecting data.

About Time

The Active People Survey Many respondents commented that the approach taken by the Active People Survey, used by Sport England to measure participation in sport and physical activity, meant that much physical and/or sporting activity was not being accurately captured. Many called for a more modern approach to collecting data.

About Time

A big complaint was that it missed anyone under 14.

It's about time. Some idiot looked at the figures and saw a drop off in participation in all sports at 15 and said "Let's spend more money on that age group to solve the problem!"

Well, unless you stop teenagers being interested in members of the opposite sex, alcohol and online gaming you're on a loser. You need a bigger base to the pyramid and then the inevitable drop-off will have less of an effect.

Years ago when I was actually trying to get things going in a new region I saw the money that was wasted on the wrong projects and over the wrong time period. It made me despair.

Start at 5 and assume you have a 15-20 year return on investment. There's no quick fix - if that means spending less per year then so be it. I would also encourage the non-contact and limited contact social forms of the game to keep teenagers, parents and former players interested and involved.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Archived