Conference League South 2016- Teams Confirmed

The two clubs overlapped in time but there may well have been players move across. Shirebrook were based on Chesterfield players and Garibaldi players formed Mansfield Storm

You do realise they're only about 8 miles apart and we also played against the aging Mansfield Storm in the RLC at Clipstone and that's how I know where they got their players from, If I remember correctly they may have had a couple from Clowne as well

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do realise they're only about 8 miles apart and we also played against the aging Mansfield Storm in the RLC at Clipstone and that's how I know where they got their players from, If I remember correctly they may have had a couple from Clowne as well

Yeah would make sense if they gained players after the other clubs folded (or before?)

• 2 weeks later...

I made a 5 minute phone call two months ago and got a new kit for Moorends Marauders  open-age and juniors.

Why not do like most clubs did before teams had sponsors, I bought and sold the clubs lottery like everyone else at the club, I honestly can't get my head around why any club has to rely on sponsorship money to run a club, do the simple things like forgetting  the bus and go in cars to away games, apart from insurance, league fee's, pitch rent (we cut and mark our own pitch and get it cheaper) equipment and referee what else is a must.

Who paid for said kit?

My chairman could sell ice to eskimos and if he's saying he's having trouble bringing money into the club, I believe him.  Along with the chairman of that club, I managed to get a sponsorship for Reading which will cover a kit purchase and some of the pitch fees.  Club lottery hasn't been tried as yet but the club has been firefighting for years and based with union landlords who have frowned on such a thing.

As for clubs relying on sponsorship, it's not a level playing field. A few years ago, Hammersmith were basically underwritten by Walkabout Shepherd's Bush.  Some players who couldn't get to games were provided transport, even if it was only an all-zones travelcard for the day.   They not only had recruitment advantages but financial advantages too.

Our players drive to games off their own back, pay their subs and buy the gear we design.  It's a highly-competitive environment, we're in a relative-union hotbed with something like 20 clubs within 5 miles of the ground.  That means there are curious cross-code players milling around but it also means that there are 20 clubs out there with the word "rugby" in the title that are looking for money.

You can't understand it.  It's come easier for you but we're economising greatly and the money still doesn't stretch far enough.

Who paid for said kit?

My chairman could sell ice to eskimos and if he's saying he's having trouble bringing money into the club, I believe him.  Along with the chairman of that club, I managed to get a sponsorship for Reading which will cover a kit purchase and some of the pitch fees.  Club lottery hasn't been tried as yet but the club has been firefighting for years and based with union landlords who have frowned on such a thing.

As for clubs relying on sponsorship, it's not a level playing field. A few years ago, Hammersmith were basically underwritten by Walkabout Shepherd's Bush.  Some players who couldn't get to games were provided transport, even if it was only an all-zones travelcard for the day.   They not only had recruitment advantages but financial advantages too.

Our players drive to games off their own back, pay their subs and buy the gear we design.  It's a highly-competitive environment, we're in a relative-union hotbed with something like 20 clubs within 5 miles of the ground.  That means there are curious cross-code players milling around but it also means that there are 20 clubs out there with the word "rugby" in the title that are looking for money.

You can't understand it.  It's come easier for you but we're economising greatly and the money still doesn't stretch far enough.

The sponsor paid for the kit, It was just over £1,100 including VAT for 19 full kits and he has also sponsored our juniors for a complete new kit (I don't know the price because I passed it on to their committee) He has also committed to buying next seasons kit.

In the summer I will be collecting £20 per head from players and ex-players who for the £20 will have their name printed on the next new kit, The clubs leisure and training gear was subsidised by the other four sponsors who paid £300 each to have their business advertised on the shirts

I'm still trying to find out how you think it comes easier for us

. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRkP1OKw1_Q

On 1/2/2017 at 0:39 PM, bowes said:

Any more news on what Nottingham and London Chargers' plans are?

Also, a side note, I've heard of a number of new clubs springing up in the South East at Entry League level.  The only one I have even vague information about is that somebody is looking to get into Brockleians RFC, which was the original home of the Kent Ravens.  Anybody with any news?

On 09/01/2017 at 6:53 PM, bbfaz said:

Also, a side note, I've heard of a number of new clubs springing up in the South East at Entry League level.  The only one I have even vague information about is that somebody is looking to get into Brockleians RFC, which was the original home of the Kent Ravens.  Anybody with any news?

Any in the Aylesbury area?

9 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Any in the Aylesbury area?

Not as far as I'm aware. Somebody was having a go in High Wycombe a few years ago - South Bucks Bulldogs IIRC - but that faded long ago. Otherwise it's Oxford or Reading.

Rutlish Raiders was another I've heard are opening up at open age.

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:02 PM, bowes said:
On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:24 PM, Methven Hornet said:

Didnt north-east clubs play in the York and District, as opposed to the Yorkshire?

They did at an earlier date but in larger numbers for a longer period of time

The York league was a decent little league before the NCL was formed, a lot of the clubs joined together or took another clubs players to fill the stiff criteria.

Without checking I think York had 4 teams in the NCL at one point, could this have had a bearing on that leagues demise.

36 minutes ago, Marauder said:

The York league was a decent little league before the NCL was formed, a lot of the clubs joined together or took another clubs players to fill the stiff criteria.

Without checking I think York had 4 teams in the NCL at one point, could this have had a bearing on that leagues demise.

Only ever three at once: York Acorn, Heworth and New Earswick All Blacks

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/2/2017 at 11:39 AM, bowes said:

Any more news on what Nottingham and London Chargers' plans are?

Nottingham have entered the Yorkshire Premier.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Archived