2016 Cycling Season

With three months 'til the Olympics, not only has Shane Sutton been ousted, but some of the team's high-performance kit (paid for by Lottery funding) has been found offered for sale on eBay.

I might have a look. I've just ripped a pair of bib tights.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rains and pours..

Someone from GB cycling just got busted for doping.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Rains and pours..

Someone from GB cycling just got busted for doping.

Simon Yates from Horeeca green hedge (eurosport viewers will understand). The team have blamed it on an administrative mix up over an asthma inhaler.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

ITV4 coverage of the Tour de Yorkshire starts at 11:45am today!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Horrible weather for Day 1.

Day 2 expected to be drier, if still a little chilly.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Some speculation from the commentary team that the race may expand to 4 days very soon, and the amount of support we are seeing on what is not a very nice day suggests it is more than feasible.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's a balmy 8 degrees in Beverley.

Weather forecast poor.

Just got back from Beverley. Great turnout in the town and everybody having a good time despite the weather. At least the rain held off for the start.

Catching up with it on the box now. Really good to watch the riders slogging along the roads I know so well and to see the aerial shots of beautiful villages like South Dalton.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Technical snafus all day today. Very little footage shown of either the men's 2nd stage or the women's race. I hope they sort things out (and also have a backup solution organised) for tomorrow.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Technical snafus all day today. Very little footage shown of either the men's 2nd stage or the women's race. I hope they sort things out (and also have a backup solution organised) for tomorrow.

They have enough coverage for a highlights show of todays stage.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Eurosport managed to get the last 20km or so. Just helicopter footage (presumably beamed direct to the OB van, hence no need for planes to relay to satellites etc) without commentary. The overhead camera angle was actually great for seeing the last few kms unfolding. You could see the lead out trains forming, dropping out one by one, riders desperately clamouring for the wheel of sprint rivals, a bit on leaning on to make space. It was actually better than normal coverage, except without commentary, you had to guess who everyone was. Great sprint finish in the end too. Real pity that the women's race didn't get any coverage though, as with the highest prize money ever, it was probably the biggest day in women's pro cycling history.

Tomorrow sees the race going through some very beautiful (and very familiar to me) countryside - the section from Thirsk to Danby. So they'd better get the TV coverage sorted overnight.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great turnout in Northallerton!.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sutton Bank, here we come! I walked up it once, when it was closed to traffic, and even that was a sod of a climb.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great turnout in Northallerton!.

I needn't bother posting each town/village - great turnouts everywhere! Absolutely jam-packed all the way up Sutton Bank's final climb too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Alpe d'Huez of the Tour de Yorkshire!

They have avoided a few of the really murderous climbs in the area. Maybe next year they'll send the Tour up Chimney Bank out of Rosedale, or maybe one of the climbs to High Street above Ampleforth, like the White Horse or Wass.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A sign spotted on the Sutton Bank climb... I'm so proud to be British! * sobs a manly tear *

ChY8-7LW4AAJwQB.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great race, great support, great scenery.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I wonder if there are sufficient grounds for a four day race next year, financials permitting?

There are discussions about lengthening the race and, given the support, it is more likely than not.

The women's race could also expand, seeing as it was well-supported and has already become the richest prize in women's cycling.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

There are discussions about lengthening the race and, given the support, it is more likely than not.

I think the long term future of the race is dependent on it challenging the Tour of Romandie as a prep race for the Giro and Tour de France. Extending to 4 or even 5 days will certainly help that. However, the racing calendar is already overcrowded at this time of year.

Archived