'London' who owns the name

IM2

Just looking at the two London pro clubs and as far as I can tell Skolars have had the London name for longer than the Broncos. As far as I can see London Skolars have had London in their name for more than 18 years and London Broncos/Crusaders has had it for 17? Other names of course are Quins and Fulham.

London Eye

London Bridge

London...

...London

What's your point.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Wigan Warriors

Wigan Athletic

Wigan Rovers

Wigan Cricket Club

Wigan St. Judes

Wigan St. Patricks

Wigan Baths

Wigan Lane

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just looking at the two London pro clubs and as far as I can tell Skolars have had the London name for longer than the Broncos. As far as I can see London Skolars have had London in their name for more than 18 years and London Broncos/Crusaders has had it for 17? Other names of course are Quins and Fulham.

The Romans, I think.

Formerly North London Skolars I believe. Neither club, nor any new or existing for that matter can ever 'own' the name.

Out of interest why do you ask?

club was never north london skolars. this was a name the RLC gave us but we never adopted or used. only ever Student RL Old Boys then London Skolars. 

i suppose my point is people often talk about 'London' for the broncos as is evidenced on the thread about favourite teams but i was thinking why is that the case and is it legitimate?

Have Skolars really had the name longer? i can remember playing against the Student Rugby League Old Boys (who became Skolars) as they were, and that was after the creation of the Bronco's and therefore a few years after they were London Crusaders.

Maybe they were Skolars then, and i've just remembered them as the 'Students'.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

club was never north london skolars. this was a name the RLC gave us but we never adopted or used. only ever Student RL Old Boys then London Skolars. 

Your need to change your Wikipedia entry then... :nomention:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Skolars

in 1997 the club became a founder member of the Southern Conference League (the forerunner to the Rugby League Conference), under the name North London Skolars, and won the inaugural competition.[1

More to the point should not the London Broncos add the prefix West London Broncos which would end once and for all the interminable and damaging argument of which geographical area in London the professional club should play.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

sometime in 1996/7 it changed from memory. broncos have had 2 spells as broncos.

So after London Broncos then?

They were London first, so I think it applies to them most. That and they have always been higher profile.

I think within London you'll refer to each other as Skolars and Broncos (just like FC and KR in Hull), but other than that "London" probably is synonymous with Broncos like Hull is synonymous with FC.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Your need to change your Wikipedia entry then... :nomention:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Skolars

More to the point should not the London Broncos add the prefix West London Broncos which would end once and for all the interminable and damaging argument of which geographical area in London the professional club should play.

yes its wrong. funny that year you could argue we had two names if you accepted the fact the league changed our name for us as we played as london skolars in the NCL winter comp

I guess London referring to Broncos is because they have been much bigger than Skolars. Thats not the case now. Crowds at Hive towards end of season weren't that much different than New River.

I guess London referring to Broncos is because they have been much bigger than Skolars. Thats not the case now. Crowds at Hive towards end of season weren't that much different than New River.

also seems to me to be a bigger national game it would be nice to se 3 or 4 teams with the name london. 

Archived